Djamesbond3

Mega Imaging Transducer Mounting Position

Hey guys I just bought a Helix 9 Mega Imaging SI unit and was wondering what location to put the transducer.  Out boat has a step between the bottom of the boat and the transom.  We mounted the old Lowrance transducer on the step itself and it worked great but I don't know if I should put the new Humminbird transducer there because it doesn't read depths above idle speed anyways.  Also the manual states "The transducer should be mounted in a location that is high enough on the transom, so it is out of the jet stream when the boat is on plane."  Later on it then says it could be mounted on the step.  I was wondering if anyone that has a mega imaging transducer can tell me the best place to mount it.  thanks

I’d get a splitter cable and 2d transducer, mount the 2d at the bottom where it’ll read depth on plane and mount the mega transducer higher up. SI and DI are no good at high speed anyway and you’ll also have the mega transducer up out of the way from hitting logs etc. at speed. 

11 hours ago, Way north bass guy said:

I’d get a splitter cable and 2d transducer, mount the 2d at the bottom where it’ll read depth on plane and mount the mega transducer higher up. SI and DI are no good at high speed anyway and you’ll also have the mega transducer up out of the way from hitting logs etc. at speed. 

thanks man.  We decided to put the Mega transducer on the transom and hopefully the step doesn't effect the imaging when idling.  We just kept the small lowrance unit mounted as well and will just use it for reading the depth when running.

Based on my experience with that transducer, it is critical on mounting, but it WILL, if located correctly, give depth readings both at slow speeds and on plane.  The easy solution, as stated, is a 2nd transducer.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:47 PM, Way north bass guy said:

Interesting, but nearly useless fact: I get SI images (no detail because of speed) over 30 MPH on my boat:

S00003_zpshegnphfv.png

S00002_zpshmxoljuq.png

...Of course I discovered this after I mounted a dedicated 2D transducer...

The main reason I used the extra 2d was because the large si transducer made a huge rooster tail and because it didn’t show a decent image at high speed ( also to keep it up higher and out of harms way at high speed). 

On 2/15/2018 at 8:02 PM, Way north bass guy said:

The main reason I used the extra 2d was because the large si transducer made a huge rooster tail and because it didn’t show a decent image at high speed ( also to keep it up higher and out of harms way at high speed). 

Yep.

To say I surprised that I got the above definition at the speeds I'm getting...would be an understatement...

But it works.  I'll leave the 2D 'ducer in place because it's more reliable, and a better choice...but it's nowhere impossible to get a MEGA transducer to work at higher speeds, and good good data.

If it makes a huge roostertail, it's mounted too low.  Further North is right.  

The comments about the advantage of a second transducer keeping the mega above stuff that could damage it are right, too.  At a cost of about hundred bucks.