keltonz

Deep Creek MD or Lake Anna VA

My fishing buddies and I are planning a late April fishing trip and we're deciding between Deep Creek and Lake Anna. Unfortunately we only have one bass boat so we're going to have to rent one, as well as a lakehouse. Between the two, what would ya'll recommend? We're mostly bank fishermen so we don't have a ton of experience with big water.

Keltonz, please note my input regarding One Fish Anna below.

Ski boats, pontoon boats, jet ski boats, kayaks may be all over One Fish Anna in April depending on the weather and they will clog the water and those jet skis travel in packs and they will disrupt your fishing. If April is still cold then they will not be out. Would hate to suggest One Fish Anna now without knowing what the finicky Virginia weather will be doing. It could be in the 70's or we could have an ice storm in April.

Too many tournaments on Lake Anna. From the Lake Anna Wednesday series to the FLW and BASS clubs, FLW and BASS Region tournaments to the individual guys fishing the place gets beat up pretty good. Tournaments start in March with clubs from all over the state hitting One Fish Anna before the spawn.

During the week you will not have to be concerned with the club and Region tournaments other than the Wednesday series. The lake is so big that you should not have any problems during the week with other clubs out there. Of course, there may be some guys prefishing for their tournaments but they should not bother you.

One Fish Anna gets that name because fishing can be slow and difficult. Lots of places to fish but with those tournaments they get clobbered starting in March. Lots of dinks in One Fish.

I noticed in the 2018 Freshwater Fishing in Virginia booklet that there are boat rentals on One Fish Anna. Sturgeon Creek and Lake Anna Marinas can tell you about renting a bass or other boat. Check them out on the Internet and give them a call.

The 2018 booklet states "Anna, Route 1 South west on Route 208 to lake." Check it out on Google Maps to find the boat rental place and give them a call to confirm they still rent boats and what kind.

As for places to stay, I have no idea. You can head up to the Spotsylvania County area and their motels but I don't know if they can handle your boat and the recharging of the batteries. So ask the guys and gals at Sturgeon Creek and Lake Anna Marinas about homes for rent or motels and parking your boat ,refueling, and recharging the batteries plus places to stay near or on the lake.

I think Lake Anna Marina has a motel and places to park your rig and recharge your batteries. Not sure about gas but you can ask them where you will have to go to refill your gas tanks.

You can also call a local realtor that handles rentals on One Fish Anna and ask them about lake houses for rent.

Now with all that penned, I have no idea about Deep Creek. You may find the same obstacles at Deep Creek as you do on One Fish Anna. Travel advantage goes to One Fish Anna when you factor in travel from Northern Virginia to One Fish or heading up to Deep Creek.

Of course, living in Northern Virginia means you have a Virginia fishing license. If you go to Maryland you will need a Maryland fishing license and although I have no idea of its cost, everything is more expensive in Maryland than Virginia.

So do your research; get a copy of the free 2018 Freshwater Fishing Guide at your favorite tackle shop, and get those spinnerbaits, lipless crankbaits, shallow running crankbaits, Chatterbaits, and topwaters all cleaned and ready to go plus your Senkos and trick worms.

Let me know what you find out and what you finally do.

Good luck and if you do go to One Fish Anna all the best for a fun and safe time.

You’ve got to have some intestinal fortitude to swim in Tennessee in April! I don’t know exactly where lake Anna is but I would think the water will be too cold for excessive pleasure boats. How do y’all get so many on the water that early? All That being said, I have seen people jet ski in snow flurries! More than once! I’m hoping it was some kind of test drives. 

2 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

You’ve got to have some intestinal fortitude to swim in Tennessee in April! I don’t know exactly where lake Anna is but I would think the water will be too cold for excessive pleasure boats. How do y’all get so many on the water that early? All That being said, I have seen people jet ski in snow flurries! More than once! I’m hoping it was some kind of test drives. 

Lake Anna is in Virginia, south-south west of DC and to the west of I-95.

Look it up on Google.

Anna will be great in April, late April will almost certainly have the fish spawning.  Anna can be challenging but that time should be the most lenient on you.  Recreational traffic isn't an issue in April unless it happens to be a crazy warm weekend day...Bassboat traffic will be heavy though.  I'll be there the weekend of the 21st for a tournament :).  Uplake, midlake, and downlake are fairly different from each other and fishing is often noticeably different in each section (like 3 lakes in 1 almost).  Stripers and hybrid-stripers are also plentiful if that interests you.

Deep Creek will probably be fairly cold, the spawn usually is around Memorial Day up there so unless we have really warm spring expect prespawn fishing and cool/cold water temps.  DCL is a cold mountain lake and the weather can be very unpredictable, it could be beautiful but it could just as easily be downright nasty...DCL has smallmouth so that might be a deciding factor for you.  There's also a nice population of walleye, perch, pike, and pickerel so you tend to get a good amount of bites on a given day - They just won't all be bass.  DCL is more of a numbers lake, larger bass are in the lake for sure but are fairly rare.  Most of the boat docks won't be in the lake yet, FYI.  

If you want spawning, sight fishing, and/or shallow largemouth I'd pick Anna.  If you want prespawn fishing, smallmouth, and/or a side of multi-species I'd pick Deep Creek.  Anna is much bigger than Deep Creek, probably 5 times the size, if that matters to you.  Both have less than stellar reputations for bass fishing at times, but neither are really that bad in reality...I actually think both are great and love fishing both, the time of year is definitely in your favor too.  Bad weather can strike either, but if you want a safer bet weather-wise it would be Anna.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam said:

Lake Anna is in Virginia, south-south west of DC and to the west of I-95.

Look it up on Google.

And they start pleasure boating in April? Brrrrrr

Yep. Lots of homes on One Fish Anna and college students hit the lake for the Easter and Spring breaks while their families open the homes in April.

Of course, the weather has a direct impact on the pleasure boats so you may not encounter any.

Then again.........

But don't let that stop you. Do your research and hit One Fish and have a good time.

I guess if they have a $50k + wakeboard boat, they probably have a quality wetsuit 

Honestly, if you are considering Anna during that time frame, I would hire a guide.  I was a guide on Anna and that is our busy time.  It's your best chance for a trophy fish.  Unfortunately the key to fishing Anna is #1 being on the water a lot and #2 knowing where there are brushpiles and certain structure that hold fish.  Not having fished the lake before and trying to put something together would be difficult.  The only rental boats you will get are small v bottom aluminum with 40 horse motors and no trolling motor.  All that being said, there are some big girls in Anna as well as Stripers.  Another option is to hire a Striper Guide since they use pontoons and live bait and you will have a blast.  I know people who own vacation homes on Deep Creek and it's also a tough lake.  Since it is a mountain lake, it will be behind Anna on spawn.  In summer, it is a dock flipper dream.  IMHO, neither is a good candidate to go and try to get on fish easily.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TOXIC said:

Honestly, if you are considering Anna during that time frame, I would hire a guide.  I was a guide on Anna and that is our busy time.  It's your best chance for a trophy fish.  Unfortunately the key to fishing Anna is #1 being on the water a lot and #2 knowing where there are brushpiles and certain structure that hold fish.  Not having fished the lake before and trying to put something together would be difficult.  The only rental boats you will get are small v bottom aluminum with 40 horse motors and no trolling motor.  All that being said, there are some big girls in Anna as well as Stripers.  Another option is to hire a Striper Guide since they use pontoons and live bait and you will have a blast.  I know people who own vacation homes on Deep Creek and it's also a tough lake.  Since it is a mountain lake, it will be behind Anna on spawn.  In summer, it is a dock flipper dream.  IMHO, neither is a good candidate to go and try to get on fish easily.  

Can't argue with what TOXIC penned.

One Fish Anna is tough in the summer months. Even tougher in the early spring. You have to know the places that will hold bass to be successful on Anna.

There are some beautiful homes on the lake so the people have money and nice pleasure boats.

You all may have more fun and less aggravation if you do as TOXIC suggests and stay at a motel and use a guide for the week. You have to do the math but if you do come on down to One Fish Anna you want to have some fun and catch some nice ones and a guide may be answer.

Let us know what you decide to do.

If it were me, I would hire a guide to scout out the spots near where you want to fish.....tell them for example Sturgeon Creek since you can rent boats at the marina and the creek is big enough that you could fish it in a small rental boat.  Then hire a striper guide like Jim Hemby to take out your whole crew for a striper outing.  So, a bass guide for 1 day, a couple days in a rental boat and another day striper fishing would pretty much fill your week.  

I've rented V-bottom boats from Sturgeon Creek Marina a couple times.  Can't recall if the tiller was 10HP or 20.  Unfortunately, I don't see them listed on their web site any longer.  Just pontoons.  I never found another place on the lake with rentals other than pontoons....though there may be one.  I've done a bit of bass fishing from pontoons in the past - not ideal - but with a big trolling motor, it can be done well enough, of course.

I put a trolling motor on the transom, and a Humminbird Fishin Buddy on the gunnel of the V boat and did just fine with two in the boat.  I'm hoping they'll still have them this year.  Was a fair amount of demand -- had to call and reserve on some weekends.