TylerT123

Best way to save money on tackle

Would a tackle subscription such as MTB save money? I’m on a budget, I don’t have many baits and I want to stock up but tackle adds up quick. Are companies like this cost effective? I’m pretty much looking for the most bang for my buck, tackle wise. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

In my opinion, not really. It’s a good way to get exposed to new baits/companies, but it’s literally a grab bag. Never know what’s going to be in there. That being said, I’ve been happier with my LTB than I was with the MTB. I’m a bank beater and I kept getting lures that were of little to no use to me with MTB (one ounce jigging fish thing, super deep diving cranks, etc.). Much less of an issue with that since I swapped over to LTB. 

• Like 1

Look for swap meets that bass clubs put on. Usually 2 or 3 around my neck of the woods. Maybe some near you

• Like 1

Hunt around eBay for lures sold in lots, you can get stuff pretty cheaply that way.  

• Like 2

Imo the most economical and effective tackle system employs the K.I.S.S. philosophy. Cover the water column, top (pop r), mid(jerkbait/fluke), bottom(jigs/worms/t rigs, cranks)

keep colors to a minimum, white, black, green pumpkin, watermelon red plus chrome and chartreuse for cranks. 

Senko/yum dinger, twist tail grub, fluke, tubes ,craws for plastics/trailers. 

3.0 Gamakatzu wide gap hooks & sharpener. 1/4  1/2 bullet weights split shot. 

Everyone will have have their favorite must have bait to add including myself but these simple baits will get you bites. You can experiment and expand as circumstances allow. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Finnz922 said:

Look for swap meets that bass clubs put on. Usually 2 or 3 around my neck of the woods. Maybe some near you

Like swapping baits? We don’t have any bass clubs at all around here

Buy stuff on line, no tax.  Look for the sales tw and many others have 20% black Friday and other good sales on top of having good prices already.  Scrub the for sale threads here.  Lots of deals to be had most people do fall clean outs to stock up during winter.  Go used...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TylerT123 said:

Would a tackle subscription such as MTB save money? I’m on a budget, I don’t have many baits and I want to stock up but tackle adds up quick. Are companies like this cost effective? I’m pretty much looking for the most bang for my buck, tackle wise. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

I did MTB and I think it's a great way for someone who doesn't have much to start to stock up. My suggestion would be to get the Pro box if you can afford it.

• Like 1

1. Fishing Flea Market on Facebook
2. Post and tell them exactly what you need/Search for what you need

Numerous fishermen are willing to cut you a great deal on new/slightly used stuff

• Like 1

In had one of the subscription based boxes for awhile not sure which one. It was cool getting a box of tackle every month, butbi have literally given or thrown away everything I have gotten from them. It's not like you get a pack of senkos, rage craws, quality hooks, a war eagle spinner bait, lucky craft crankbait etc. You get off the wall baits from mostly no name companies that are trying to clear out hard to sell colors. I'm with dvt, put back 12-15 dollars a week and then every 4 weeks you can buy a good amount of what you know works in your area and what you like with free shipping or possible promotional deals. Definitely keep it simple, it's about location and presentation rather than color and "coolness". Also buy versatile baits like trick worms, can be used for dropshot, shaky head, Texas rig, carolina rigged, and twitched like a fluke. Flapping craw baits can be Texas rigfed, jig and chatterbait trailered and topwater. There are lots of baits that can be multipurpose and that alone can save money on the long run. Buying only even or odd sides of hooks will save money too. The flea market here always has some good deal to be had as well

• Like 4

I don't believe those boxes through the mail will give you bang for buck. I had MTB, I did enjoy it,  and have 2 baits that are now staples in my boat. Other than those 2 baits, I either sold everything else or it's laying around and will never see the water. 

Best bang for buck is finding sales online. Most online tackle stores have seasonal sales, and some have daily sales on certain items. You can find guys making baits in their garage selling bulk packs of plastics for a lot cheaper than a big box store. I've seen some 50 packs of soft baits for sale for under $20. 

As mentioned above, don't just buy tackle to be buying tackle. When I first got serious about bass fishing, I bought way too much stuff I didnt use. I used to have every color rage craw, dozens of colors of Senkos, etc. Now I just use the basic 4 or 5 colors and just buy when I need to replenish. 

• Like 2

I got three boxes from MTB in the fall months and some baits would catch fish but some other baits I haven’t even used yet. I think the best way to save money on baits is to definitely buy a lure retriever and like you said just buy versatile baits!

• Like 1

Yes, having someone with a profit motive periodically send you a box of lures that may or may not be applicable to where and how you fish is going to lead to having the lures you want/need and save you money. Or you can buy a bridge, and use the profits from it to buy all the lures you could ever need.

• Haha 1

Start with worm fishing.  Green Pumpkin, watermelon red fake and junebug trickworms.  Some 3-0 straight or offset hooks and a variety pack of worm weights.  Buy a couple spinner baits with a combo of Willow and Colorado blades in white or white cartreuse.  A couple poppers or Jitterbugs.  Go master those before branching out.  There are several tackle outlets on line.  Walmart in my area has some deals.  Bass pro Classic sale starts tomorrow.

Wait for your tackle store to have deals on baits.

My favorite DSG sale is buy 5 packs of Yum Dingers for $2 a pack. Those 5 packs go a long way.

I have thought about those before. My dad did the MTB for 3 months and liked some of the stuff because it was stuff he normally wouldn't buy. I think the monthly boxes are more for people who have an establish assortment already and those kind of fill in the gaps of your collection.

IMO - BPS Spring Classic has some good deals that I am going after on Monday. 5 for $10 Booyah Spinners that are normally 6-7 each. Also, they have a large assortment of $2 crankbaits, from poppers, to lipless crankbaits, to deep divers. Lots of soft gear on sale.

Not part of the Spring Sale, but Bass Pro also has XPS kits that in my opinion are a great value for someone trying to build a collection inexpensively. They are each a 5 bait collection and they sell them for 15.99, so it is 3.20 per lure. I like this approach because if you don't own many lipless crankbaits it is a way to get 5 different colors of that type. So for $64 dollars you can go from having nothing to have 5 variations of lipless, poppers, crankbaits of different depths and squarebills.

So between the 5 spinners, 20 XPS lures, and a few bags of worms, a few $2 skirted football jigs, you could have a full tackle bow for less than $100.00!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fishwizzard said:

Hunt around eBay for lures sold in lots, you can get stuff pretty cheaply that way.  

I have done this several times before.  I forget th ename but there was a guy who would sell Rapala lots for much cheaper than buying single baits.  I have more shad raps now than I will ever need.

• Like 1

Flemarket is my main shopping area for lures, then a few website with good sale. As @Delaware Valley TackleMentioned about KISS, I too try to minimize myself to a few on each category, but it is hard.

Another tip for you is to stop checking out those two threads "latest sale thread" and "fishing report" every time I check those I want to spend some money.

• Like 3

Don't forget some brick and mortar stores offer price match.

At DSG I can show them a price I found online with my phone and get the item in question reduced to that cost. I have never had them deny a price, including ones I found on Ebay. They just check (sometimes) if the item on Ebay is used or not.

• Like 1

I considered joining up with MTB, but decided against it for all the reasons posted above. I'm way too picky on what few lures I buy to get a bunch of randoms that I'll end up selling in the near future. 

• Like 1

Absolute cheapest......Garage Sales, Estate Sales.  Look in your local publications and find where they are selling fishing items.  Not to be condescending but most of the time they don't know the value of what they are selling.  There are guys I know who make a living buying baits/gear from these type of sales and reselling it at market.  

• Like 3

I've never had any real interest in the monthly subscriptions out there. It's just too much of a crap shoot for my taste. If you're really interested in stocking up, outside of shopping the sales, your best bet is gonna be to pick the must haves withing your spending limit and pick some up. Slow and steady may not be as exciting, but it sure does "win the race".

• Like 1

Focus on proven and affordable baits. Zoom trick worm and zman TRD. TRD  last forever due to elaztech.

Avoid the bait monkey and marketing hype. Easier said than done sometimes, but try your best. 

• Like 1

No real tackle stores nearby, closest is about 60 miles away. I do have 2 Walmarts close but they have limited tackle and not enough to put on sale. They have the typical stuff though, yum dingers, cranks, lipless, jerkbaits, soft baits, terminal tackle but that’s about it.