Jump to content
tcbass

Booyah Toad Runner Frog

Recommended Posts

Okay, for those of you who have these already and are lucky enough to live in the south where you don't have to worry about iced over ponds/lakes this time of year and have had some time to fish it what do you think? Is it better/worse/same as the Teckel Sprinker frog? Does the adjustable tail actually work or is it just a gimmick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're not starting multiple threads with the same question over and over like the last frog bait.  New threads will be merged here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people just have no innovation of their own 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Brett's_daddy said:

Okay, for those of you who have these already and are lucky enough to live in the south where you don't have to worry about iced over ponds/lakes this time of year and have had some time to fish it what do you think? Is it better/worse/same as the Teckel Sprinker frog? Does the adjustable tail actually work or is it just a gimmick?

I like the action better. It makes a difference if you adjust the tail, but I like the action right out of the box best. It starts up and stays working better than the Teckel. Water is still too cold to catch anything with it, so haven't tested how the hooks work on a fish, but not a big fan of the Trokar style cutting points. Hopefully they work better for me than the other Trokar hooks I've tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I like the action better. It makes a difference if you adjust the tail, but I like the action right out of the box best. It starts up and stays working better than the Teckel. Water is still too cold to catch anything with it, so haven't tested how the hooks work on a fish, but not a big fan of the Trokar style cutting points. Hopefully they work better for me than the other Trokar hooks I've tried.

 

 

Was watching a video on it and everytime the guy caught a fish the whole body was bent up on the hook, wondering if this will cause the fish to frog to be unusable sooner. Also, one guy commented that the tail flew straight off of the bait on a cast and the metal that holds the tail already looks straight, wonder if you could just use a Teckel replacement tail for it since they are basically the same thing but the Teckel uses a CPS Spring lock which will hold it on well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 12:50 PM, tcbass said:

 

 

Was watching a video on it and everytime the guy caught a fish the whole body was bent up on the hook, wondering if this will cause the fish to frog to be unusable sooner. Also, one guy commented that the tail flew straight off of the bait on a cast and the metal that holds the tail already looks straight, wonder if you could just use a Teckel replacement tail for it since they are basically the same thing but the Teckel uses a CPS Spring lock which will hold it on well.

Replacing it with a Teckel tail would render one of it's main differences useless as Booyah is very proud of their adjustable tail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 12:50 PM, tcbass said:

Was watching a video on it and everytime the guy caught a fish the whole body was bent up on the hook

 

This is EXACTLY how a well designed hollow frog should end up after a hookset.

 

Here is a Spro Bronzeye doing what it's supposed to do after a hookset:

 

624700462_R8xtn-M-1.jpg&key=eea648b5152c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brett's_daddy said:

Replacing it with a Teckel tail would render one of it's main differences useless as Booyah is very proud of their adjustable tail.

 

 

But if that tail is poorly designed and just flies off on a simple cast, they won't be selling them for too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tcbass said:

But if that tail is poorly designed and just flies off on a simple cast, they won't be selling them for too long.

No one's complained of this yet.  Have you experienced it?  Or are you making up an issue that isn't there?  Have you bought one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 5:05 PM, Bobby Uhrig said:

Some people just have no innovation of their own 

Said the pot to the kettle! LOL!

 

image.png

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 7:41 AM, J Francho said:

No one's complained of this yet.  Have you experienced it?  Or are you making up an issue that isn't there?  Have you bought one?

 

 

Why would I make up an issue that isn’t there?

 

 

What kind of question is this? 

 

 

 

Why would you accuse someone of something like that?

 

 

No, it’s because of this guy’s Tackle Warehouse review where he was disappointed in the new Booyah Frog because he lost his tail on a cast. 

 

 

2AFD1835-77D0-428B-B57D-B7A34D29FEFD.jpeg.aaa06d5246450651e791b5c75b3428aa.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TW reviews.  I can't.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, J Francho said:

TW reviews.  I can't.  :lol:

 

So reviews like that are a joke? Really? My wife and I use reviews all the time for all sorts of products, because short of buying everything it is the only way you learn anything about the quality of a product. I also don't ask people that are sponsored by the product I am asking about or salespeople for their opinions because they are biased.

 

That said not all reviews are on the up and up, but you average them out, but I certainly don't dismiss them. Now if that review was a bad review about a Rapala you might believe it;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read reviews here, from real anglers like you.  People that leave reviews on shopping sites are generally kooks.  I read those reviews for entertainment purposes only.  I'm gonna call total bologna on that review above.  No one is straightening a wire on a backlash. Besides, you get a free extra plopper tail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J Francho said:

I read reviews here, from real anglers like you.  People that leave reviews on shopping sites are generally kooks.  I read those reviews for entertainment purposes only.  I'm gonna call total bologna on that review above.  No one is straightening a wire on a backlash. Besides, you get a free extra plopper tail.

 

I read and go by reviews. I've posted reviews on places like Amazon and Cabelas and I'm no kook (that I know of!). 

 

What benefit or advantage is there for someone to post a bad review on a $10 lure? Why take the time if it's not true?

 

Sure there are some biased reviews but you just attempt to parse through them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Toadrunner, and tried pulling on the tail to straighten out the split-ring (yes, it's a split-ring).  Couldn't do it.

 

Now if split-rings could be straightened out, then we'd be losing all kinds of fish on crankbaits, now wouldn't we?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, tcbass said:

 

I read and go by reviews. I've posted reviews on places like Amazon and Cabelas and I'm no kook (that I know of!). 

 

What benefit or advantage is there for someone to post a bad review on a $10 lure? Why take the time if it's not true?

 

Sure there are some biased reviews but you just attempt to parse through them. 

The problem with TW reviews is that, anyone can comment on an item, even if they have not purchased it. A competitor can hire troll farms to post negative reviews on products, or even direct their own marketing team to do so. Amazon at least adds a purchase verification to differentiate reviews, although there are still ways to circumvent that.

 

Sometimes you can weed out fake reviews, such as how most fishermen know they'll never straighten out a split ring just from the momentum of a backlash. And the more detail in a review, obviously the better and more reliable.

 

I bought 2 of these Booyahs, and I have 2 Teckels...can't wait for the pads to come up in my area to use them both, and hopefully as the weather warms we'll get more reliable feedback on this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I have a Toadrunner, and tried pulling on the tail to straighten out the split-ring (yes, it's a split-ring).  Couldn't do it.

 

Now if split-rings could be straightened out, then we'd be losing all kinds of fish on crankbaits, now wouldn't we?

 

 

 

 

I think he meant the rubber tail slid off of the metal shaft, not the entire tail breaking off at the split ring, but I could be wrong. 

 

 

4798C265-47CB-4B1F-839E-952D649C3204.jpeg.97110e60a93e1faa24ae11903b0c2d0d.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Junger said:

 

The problem with TW reviews is that, anyone can comment on an item, even if they have not purchased it. A competitor can hire troll farms to post negative reviews on products, or even direct their own marketing team to do so. Amazon at least adds a purchase verification to differentiate reviews, although there are still ways to circumvent that.

 

Sometimes you can weed out fake reviews, such as how most fishermen know they'll never straighten out a split ring just from the momentum of a backlash. And the more detail in a review, obviously the better and more reliable.

 

I bought 2 of these Booyahs, and I have 2 Teckels...can't wait for the pads to come up in my area to use them both, and hopefully as the weather warms we'll get more reliable feedback on this forum.

It isn't like amazon or Target... either when we are buying non tackle items where there are 100s if not 1000s of reviews and you can dismiss a certain percentage of them, large numbers of reviews works in the consumers favor. Then you have reviews like I found on a bluetooth speaker this weekend, where the person said the speaker in question didn't fit their needs and they would be purchasing one that was bluetooth compatible lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does happen quite a bit in the fishing world.  In fact, we remove a couple posts a week started by people with, how should I say, interesting motivations.  Luckily they're easy to spot.  They "pro staff" for one company, talk bad about another...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tcbass said:

I think he meant the rubber tail slid off of the metal shaft

Nope.  Pulled and tugged on that too.  Can't do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Nope.  Pulled and tugged on that too.  Can't do it.

 

Good to know. 

 

Perhaps his had a manufacturing defect. 

 

 

I bet if you pulled and rugged on most spinnerbait skirts they’d stay in place. I purchased a new Terminator from Gander Mountain, got home and opened it up. The skirt immediately fell off. I waited until my next trip to Gander and asked for a replacement of the exact same thing with my receipt from a week earlier. The manager argued that it just doesn’t happen. I was like, “You can tell it’s brand new and never been used. I’m returning it for an exchange of the exact same thing. Do you think I’m here wasting my time to scam Gander out of $5?”

 

So, things do happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or he lied, because he works for a competitor.

 

Your spinnerbait issue was from sitting on the shelf too long.  The bands that hold the skirts fatigue from UV exposure, and the skirts fall off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even more common than fake negative comments from competitors are unrealistically positive ones from folks on the payroll :P

 

It could be a (very small) conspiracy, but is it really that hard to believe that Dustin from SC might have received a defective lure? lol  The fact that Booyah includes a spare tail suggests that the tails aren’t indestructible…  In this very thread there is a comment “The tail is very pliable, don't know how to judge if that is a good thing, or bad, as it seems very damageable.”

 

True or not, one bad review wouldn’t be cause to write off the lures anyway – the thing's brand new and there are two other positive reviews and some first-hand comments here indicating this may be a one-off.  Worth noting that there are a few reviews saying the Teckel tails fly off too – should we assume undercover Booyah staffers are responsible for those? :D

 

IMO “Dustin’s” comment seems unusually specific, isolated, and restrained to be the work of a “troll farm” – not only stating that the tail flew off, but also the mechanism with which it failed (molded-in wire pulled out during a backlash).  If this is a sabotage attempt they’re going to have try a bit harder than one “slightly disappointed” comment on one website.

 

In any case, Dustin should have shot an email with pics to Booyah and they’d probably send him two free ones and a baseball hat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, fissure_man said:

Even more common than fake negative comments from competitors are unrealistically positive ones from folks on the payroll :P

 

It could be a (very small) conspiracy, but is it really that hard to believe that Dustin from SC might have received a defective lure? lol  The fact that Booyah includes a spare tail suggests that the tails aren’t indestructible…  In this very thread there is a comment “The tail is very pliable, don't know how to judge if that is a good thing, or bad, as it seems very damageable.”

 

True or not, one bad review wouldn’t be cause to write off the lures anyway – the thing's brand new and there are two other positive reviews and some first-hand comments here indicating this may be a one-off.  Worth noting that there are a few reviews saying the Teckel tails fly off too – should we assume undercover Booyah staffers are responsible for those? :D

 

IMO “Dustin’s” comment seems unusually specific, isolated, and restrained to be the work of a “troll farm” – not only stating that the tail flew off, but also the mechanism with which it failed (molded-in wire pulled out during a backlash).  If this is a sabotage attempt they’re going to have try a bit harder than one “slightly disappointed” comment on one website.

 

In any case, Dustin should have shot an email with pics to Booyah and they’d probably send him two free ones and a baseball hat.

 

Good point. 

 

 

Not like like most people say, “I saw a majority of positive reviews, but that one bad one influenced me enough not to buy it!”

 

So yes, they’d probably have to pepper Tackle Warehouse with multiple bad reviews to make an impact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×