Further North

Cabela's / Bass Pro discontinuing Veteran discounts?

A friend who is an Army vet stopped at a Cabela's to pick up a flat of shotgun shells...they told him the veteran discounts were no longer offered.

Seems like a bad business choice, once the word gets out...

First I heard of that.

Cabelas and bass pro ask if I am a veteran , every time I go.

Was just asked yesterday at cabelas.

Wow! Hope this is not correct.

I use my veterans 10% discount at BPS all the time.

I think this calls for a recon at BPS to find out.

Will let you know what I find out this coming week.

I received the follow in an e-mail from Cabelas on 20 Feb 2018

:smiley:

A-Jay

UPDATE TO OUR LEGENDARY SALUTE MILITARY DISCOUNT PROGRAM

To continue to bring the best shopping experience to our military customers, we're excited to share that our Legendary Salute 5% military discount can now be redeemed at both Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops stores every day, year-round, in both the U.S. and Canada!

Beginning Feb. 26, 2018, this means you have even greater access to so many of the products you rely on to get you into the outdoors. All active military, veterans and retirees, and National Guardsmen and Reservists of our U.S. Armed Forces will receive a 5% discount in our stores every day. Simply present your proper ID at checkout. Some exclusions apply; please visit Cabelas.com/military for more info.

In 2017 we had extended the military discount to purchases made online; effective Feb. 26, this discount will now only be available in our stores.

To thank you for your service and your continued support, we invite you to enjoy a one-time offering of $20 off of $100 or more on any online order or in-store purchase at a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops store near you. Simply enter or provide the code below at checkout, valid Feb. 26 through March 11, 2018.

While we can never thank our veterans and active military enough for their sacrifices, we proudly honor and celebrate you and your families every day. On behalf of everyone at Cabela's, thank you for giving us the freedoms we are so blessed to enjoy.

@Further NorthIs it possible the discount is just not valid for firearms and ammo? The "standard" coupon codes they send out exclude firearms and ammo

Thanks, folks.

I'll point him at this topic.

...then I'll make fun of him for being old and confused. ;)

He said there was no discount, and the store refused to let him use snap caps to test fire a shotgun he was looking at.

Hope not, that would be a really bad business choice on their part. 

Bass pro hasn’t isn’t known for making the smartest buissiness choices lately so I wouldn’t be surprised.  It’s unfortunate if they actually are doing this.

I was just at our local Cabela's today buying some reloading supplies.

They asked if I was a Military Veteran at checkout for the discount. Guy in front of me was, and got a discount.

I am, of course, not a veteran and stated so when asked, but they are still asking people, and giving discounts to the vets.

I think your friends info maybe wrong.

We continue to offer Veteran's discounts. Every day now, instead of only a few days a month.

Edited by volzfan59
I really need to proof read my posts better before hitting enter.

16 minutes ago, volzfan59 said:

We continue to offer Veteran's discounts, every day one instead of only a few days a month.

Do you work at Cabela's/Bass Pro?

My nephew works PT at BPS and he said they are really struggling with consistency throughout their employees. Simply ask, they are told not to say NO

Further North, Yes, I do work at BPS. Been there about four years now. Even before I worked here, I was a customer and a Veteran. I've used the discount before.

Can't speak for any store other than mine. There is absolutely no consistency issues at my store, we've always been told to offer military discounts to Vets. Heck, there's prerecorded messages playing over the in-house sound system stating that we offer Military discounts. 

• Like 1

Sorry for posting back to back. One thing that you have to understand is not all companies allow us to offer Military discounts on their products. For example, you can't use a Military discount on several rod and reel manufacturers products.

As I don't work in hunting, I don't know who plays ball, so to speak, and who doesn't as far as your friends ammo purchase goes. We don't get employee discounts on ammo.

• Like 1

I am disappointed that they discontinued the discount online. I sent Cabela's a letter about this. Both bps and Cabela's did this making it harder to actually get what you want. The stores only have room for so much but online you can get all that they offer.i usually buy online because most of the lures I want aren't in stock in my preferred colors. I guess I'll be looking for better prices elsewhere. I urge all veterans to contact both companies to complain about restricting most veterans access to this discount. As we all know, these stores aren't on every corner like Wally world.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stfloran81 said:

I am disappointed that they discontinued the discount online. I sent Cabela's a letter about this. Both bps and Cabela's did this making it harder to actually get what you want. The stores only have room for so much but online you can get all that they offer.i usually buy online because most of the lures I want aren't in stock in my preferred colors. I guess I'll be looking for better prices elsewhere. I urge all veterans to contact both companies to complain about restricting most veterans access to this discount. As we all know, these stores aren't on every corner like Wally world.

Yeah...the lack of an on-line offering is kind of a stumper.

I'm not a veteran (couldn't talk anyone into taking a kid who was deaf in one ear), but both parents and many friends are.  Where we live, it's an hour and a half trip to the nearest Cabela's.  Needless to say, most people shop on-line more than they do in the stores.

Bass Pro reduced it's discount from 10% to 5% following their spring classic.