LCG

Daiwa Tatula maintenance

Looking for some *** regarding disassembly of an Daiwa Tatula 100 HSL. Looking to clean it up, and then add grease and oil (assuming that's what I am supposed to use). This is my first baitcaster and first time cleaning a reel. Please be gentle 

I'm not hard sell by any stretch but those are not novice friendly reels to learn on. The member cost is <$20 if you'd like to go that route. If not , my advice is to limit DIY to brushing off and oiling the worm gear  n pulling the spool wiping off what you can reach. 

1 hour ago, Luke G. said:

Looking for some *** regarding disassembly of an Daiwa Tatula 100 HSL. Looking to clean it up, and then add grease and oil (assuming that's what I am supposed to use). This is my first baitcaster and first time cleaning a reel. Please be gentle 

Search on youtube for tatula bearing install. I did a video for boca on a lh tatula and to add the one bearing it has to be taken apart. That will show you how to tear it down to at least clean/grease the main and pinion gear inside. You will need to scrub them with an old toothbrush. I use a mix of simple green and water. Once everything is dry and ready to go back together add a small dab of grease to the yoke. That’s the plastic part the pinion gear rides in. Add a small dab of grease to the end of each yoke spring. Use a flat/wide paintbrush to grease 1/2 of the main gear. Then spin the driveshaft by hand... That’ll work the grease around the entire gear. It’s really easy once you do your first reel. 

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice and resources. 

Go easy if this is your first time maintenance the reel. The simple and require more often in to add a drop of light oil on bearing spool, one on the side plate and the other one on spool itself (I just use oil that come with the reel). How often? That depend how often you use the reel, some monthly, some every trip, but me when I feel the distance become restricted or sometime as long as a few months. Next would be worm gear, add heavy oil (I use grease) once you see it dry up, this might be done every 3-6 months. 

Next would require you to disassemble the handle side plate, I urge you to watch a lot of video how-to before you do it your own. This process would be to clean old grease around main gear and cleaning drag washer. I don't deep clean (wash) just simple remove old grease as much as possible with towel and tooth brush. I add grease on all gear, the plastic gear included. This can be done once every season but some might do this more often. 

The rest of the stuff, like deep clean bearing (especially daiwa reel), deep clean all inside gear including worm gear, I recommend using professional service like Delaware Valley Tackle (our site sponsor) some you will need special tool like bearing on spool and some c-clips.

good luck and post if you need help

Take pictures as you take a reel apart and have the schematics handy. Sometimes pictures are easier to follow than schematics. Abu and Lews have a similar break down but diawa and shimano are different. A few more springs involved. 

I think I will head the advice given of basic strip down and cleaning. If it requires any further disassembly or maintenance then I will use a qualified technician. Thanks again.