BraxtonsWorld

Subscription Boxes

Hi, I was wondering If anyone knew how Mystery Tackle Box or Lucky Tackle Box works? How do they profit off of lures that cost more than the subscription itself? How do they receive these lures? Are they getting them by being in contact with certain companies and getting it for a marked down price?

1.  You pay for a subscription, and they send you a box each month.

2.  Same way a store makes a profit, markup.

3.  Probably via some shipping company.

4.  Yes, the same way stores would get the baits.

And the cost of the lures listed is jacked up a bit........some quite a bit.

31 minutes ago, Dens228 said:

And the cost of the lures listed is jacked up a bit........some quite a bit.

Jacked up how?

Just now, J Francho said:

Jacked up how?

I am pretty sure he means the prices are slightly exaggerated....I had the same observation myself.  

Probably high end MSRP

What else would they use?  That's the only standardized pricing.  The boxes still work out to be less than most retail prices.  Unless you want to shop around, for the best price on the lures, but that defeats the purpose.  Bottom line, you aren't getting ripped off.  And heaven forbid anyone from trying to make money.  To me, these are great for new or young anglers.  They make a nice gift as well.  I don't think they're aimed at the very experienced fisherman, though I've gotten a box, and it was interesting.  Definitely didn't feel like I was jipped.

• Like 1

I wasn't saying you get ripped off.  I was explaining how the companies are able to do it and make a profit and market it as a greater savings than it is. Which I believe was the OP's question.  And yes I know that's a good business model and the company gets to make a profit.  I think you read way too much into the response.  I subscribe to MTB and will continue.  But I can say that there is no way I'd pay what they list for a majority of the items within.  

I should also add that my youngest son loves MTB since my own selection of lures has become larger he usually gets 75% of my monthly box!