8pt172

Chatterbaits for Smallmouth

I know Chatterbaits have been around for many years, but I was curious if anyone has had great success with them?  I have never used them when fishing for SMB.  I think it is a confidence thing.  I primarily use tubes, drop shots, jerkbaits, top water, and spinnerbaits when I target SMB.  Looking for something different to offer them...

I found an older thread which I'll paste below that basically mirrors my own experience. I've personally had better luck with spinnerbaits for smallies up in New England, but I don't see why a chatterbait couldn't work at feeding times, I just generally have better luck with a spinnerbait in general so I throw them more.

Just remember the smallmouth like deeper, colder water so don't forget about vertical presentations the rest of the year. This is one of the reasons this year's goal is to improve my drop shot skills, since I live on the border of Vermont and they have so many great smallmouth lakes.

I still can’t catch a fish with chatterbait 

• Haha 1

They defenitely work for smallies. I’ve caught some burning it over cabbage beds much like a spinnerbait or trap, just gotta experiment with colours/trailers till you find what they want. 

Rage Blade with a white skirt/ Rage Structure Bug (white)

:easter-119:

Thanks for the tips!!

3 hours ago, Boomstick said:

I found an older thread which I'll paste below that basically mirrors my own experience. I've personally had better luck with spinnerbaits for smallies up in New England, but I don't see why a chatterbait couldn't work at feeding times, I just generally have better luck with a spinnerbait in general so I throw them more.

Just remember the smallmouth like deeper, colder water so don't forget about vertical presentations the rest of the year. This is one of the reasons this year's goal is to improve my drop shot skills, since I live on the border of Vermont and they have so many great smallmouth lakes.

Thanks,

I fish a lot near TC and on the Big Bays where the water is gin clear and the fish are anywhere from 6 feet to 40.  

4 hours ago, 8pt172 said:

Thanks,

I fish a lot near TC and on the Big Bays where the water is gin clear and the fish are anywhere from 6 feet to 40.  

Yeah, you should definitely focus on finesse, especially when you get to those deeper spots with an incline and rocks, smallies love those areas!

I have caught my 2 biggest smallies on black and blue original chatterbaits.

Some of the lakes around here they work great for smallmouth, others it's hard to even get a bite on one from a smallmouth. No idea why, but that's just how it works. This is one from this winter on one of my baits from a local lake, not my fish though.

26165698_1929437143984726_1373833701948607661_n.png

I've caught a few smallies on chatterbaits, but have not found them as good as spinnerbaits.  One method you didn't list is the Ned rig.  Gotta have it for the days when nothing else works.