I fish almost exclusively on ponds. Due to this, I limit myself to three rods in case I want to move farther away than I am comfortable leaving my gear. I take one spinning and two baitcasters. Honestly, I only take this many to reduce my re-tying time. The spinning reel is for those light weight presentations like weightless senkos, etc.

Currently, I have 50 lb Suffix 832 on my favorite baitcaster. I have 15 lb YoZuri on my other baitcaster. I have 20 lb PowerPro on my spinning. I do not use leaders, simply straight braid on my braided spools. I have not seen any significant difference in getting bit between the the braid and the hybrid. I was away from fishing for about 20 years and am just coming back to it. I started back up in August and have fished almost every ice-free weekend since. However, I have had exactly ONE good day fishing since my return, and I've been out quite a lot. That day was 2 x 1.5 lb, 2 x 2.5 lb, 1 x 4.5 lb in about 4-5 hours. I have fished three different ponds in that time, but tend to stay at whatever pond I choose that day rather than splitting my time on any one day between different ponds. The pond where I had that good day is where I have fished ever since that day as the other two had not produced anything remotely like that in the months prior. Granted, that pond has not produced a day like that since then, either.

The ponds:

1. Highly fished, in a public park with a lot of recreational activites, e.g. basketball courts, softball fields, walking trails, etc. Bad turtle and bird issues. Has the most variety, in that there is actually some rocky bank, although, it is very difficult to fish that due to it being very steep.

2. Biggest pond. Very little pressure. Very little structure or cover. When the water is up, there are  some trees 1-5 feet from the bank that can be targeted. When the water is low, like now, they are too shallow. LOT of moss within a few feet of the bottom. VERY big shad, lots of perch. I have snagged more than one shad which was a pound or more.

3. Most productive pond. Very little pressure. Retention/run-off ponds for a ritzy neighborhood that I suspect most people don't know is open to the public. LOT of moss within a few feet of the bottom. Was a very chemical blue until the winter, so it must be getting treatments for the moss. Currently, the moss has exploded, but it is very clear water otherwise and has not been treated, yet, this year. Very little structure or cover. Lots of perch, according to others who have fished with kids here. Never snagged shad here.

I am about at the point of quitting. I don't expect to catch them every time, or even most of the time, but NEVER is getting old. I've given it 8 months, with little to show for it. To be frank, I do catch 1-2 dinks about half the time. I hook decent ones, sometimes, but rarely. I rarely hook more than 1-2 in a 3-6 hour outing. I don't know if it's me, gear, or just ponds that aren't very good, but, it's simply not working.

I tried 100% fluoro for a while, but the line memory was...outrageous. I mean spooling up the night before and it being near unusable the next day about noon. Whatever advantages fluoro may have, I don't see it fixing the issues I've been having. I'm so hesitant to quit, however, I've been wondering if I should try again.

Anyways, to the real question...

Three rods, on these ponds, what would you choose to do with the line on those three?

Senko/dropshot, spinnerbait/chatterbait, Texas rig/jig

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CroakHunter said:

Senko/dropshot, spinnerbait/chatterbait, Texas rig/jig

Thanks. I have tried all of those. The moss makes it really hard to throw anything on bottom or that runs very deep. Even a squarebill retrieved slow comes back with a whole bowl of snot on it.I can go 2-5 feet deep, depending on the spot in ponds 2 and 3 without snot-moss. On pond 1, they don't have nearly the moss problem, but, it is also the highest pressured and is widely known to be a poor pond with mostly small fish.

I have thrown a LOT of lipless crankbait, chatterbait, swimbaits soft and hard body, jerkbaits soft and hard body, topwater, and some spinnerbaits inline and traditional. Approximately 80% of my bites have been on the LCB. I have caught precisely one each on senko, jig and a slow, slow rolled chatterbait, but most of the time, just snot-moss. I have caught a couple on a ned rig, but, it was on an de-iced weekend between iced over weekends, when the moss was at an absolute minimum.

I'll take ANY advice, but, did you have any thoughts on line?

Line is line. Use what you prefer. I use a combo of fluoro, braid, copoly, and mono depending on what technique in using and what rod I'm throwing it on

2 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

I use a combo of fluoro, braid, copoly, and mono depending on what technique in using and what rod I'm throwing it on

That's kind of the question. If you were using one line for basically everything, and given not much to get hung on or abraid the line, which would you use and do you really believe it would make much difference?

2 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

Line is line. Use what you prefer. 

And I think this part answers that, except that you went on to say that you like to use technique specific line, lol.

I suppose it wouldn't be THAT expensive to buy an extra spool for each and have a...relatively easy line swap, but honestly, I'm not sure I'd swap it that often.

My all around general purpose line is 10 pound yo-zuri hybrid for casting setups.  I also use 12 and 15 depending what rod it's on.  For spinning braid to leader is first choice and Berkeley xl in 6 or 8 is second choice depending on cover and rod.  For leaders I use 6 or 10 lb yhb, for the spinning setups.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Angry John said:

My all around general purpose line is 10 pound yo-zuri hybrid for casting setups.  I also use 12 and 15 depending what rod it's on.  For spinning braid to leader is first choice and Berkeley xl in 6 or 8 is second choice depending on cover and rod.  For leaders I use 6 or 10 lb yhb, for the spinning setups.

Why bother with the braid, other than line visibility for yourself?

Personally, I'm 40 now and line visibility on anything that will be on the bottom really helps me detecting bites. I get that. However, I'm not convinced the fish care much about a leader. Regardless of line visuals, fish detect line presence as much or more with their lateral line than their eyes. If hooks, a-rig wires, etc, don't deter them...well.

I have NO doubt that on occasion a fish will choose not to bite on something so minor, but, that same fish may be just as finicky about the thicker fluoro/hybrid line's effect on their lateral line, etc.

My luck has been so bad lately that I'm questioning everything, but, like I mentioned, between my YoZuri rod and my braid rod, I have not seen a significant difference in bites.

I do appreciate your feedback and I will consider it. This is exactly what I was asking for. I don't mean the above to dispute your opinion, merely to explain why I have not done that myself so far, despite knowing it is a very popular rig now.

I also am concerned about how often I will need to retie lure AND leader with the light line leaders, as well as the knot being an additional point of failure.

In my experience, public pond tend to be the most difficult to fish because of the noise, the activity, and the fact that people are often throwing in lines, lures, and not to mention losing them to underwater snags. While I am not much for believing the fish care a lot about leaders, I think to some degree they do figure out they may be getting duped, especially when people fish there most days of good weather weeks. My best advice is just to use what you think may work and just have fun being outside in nature, and enjoy the peace time for yourself. Catching something is secondary, imo. I only say that because I am the same boat as you! I've been out loads of times this year since my winter has been fairly mild minus a few odd days, and I don't always catch something. Lately the only pond that's been readily producing for me is my own pond that's stocked with generations of catfish and perch. So if I just -really- want to catch something I just fish there and enjoy pulling out 2-3 pound catfish that I can fry for dinner. :P View the ponds as being a good way to practice different techniques if nothing else. Maybe if/when you can go somewhere better that practice will pay off and produce more/better fish for you. Have you considered live bait? I find that live craws make excellent bait for both catfish and bass. It's fish candy.

Back to your rod question... I also use 2 baitcasters and a spinner set-up at ponds. Not to mention I bring a tackle bag with lots of options. My lightest BC is a ML power and this is my finesse rod for ned rigs or light/weightless plastics. I have a 50 lb stealth braid on this because of snags, with a 10 lb fluoro FG knotted on it for a leader. Then a heavier BC that I use for jigs, heavier plastic rigs, or carolina rigging as chosen. Same braid, but I vary the leader on this one. My spinning rod is good for moving lures of many types: spinners, bladed jigs, topwater. I use copoly on this one, straight or with a lighter test tied on for a leader. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sifuedition said:

Why bother with the braid, other than line visibility for yourself?

Personally, I'm 40 now and line visibility on anything that will be on the bottom really helps me detecting bites. I get that. However, I'm not convinced the fish care much about a leader. Regardless of line visuals, fish detect line presence as much or more with their lateral line than their eyes. If hooks, a-rig wires, etc, don't deter them...well.

I have NO doubt that on occasion a fish will choose not to bite on something so minor, but, that same fish may be just as finicky about the thicker fluoro/hybrid line's effect on their lateral line, etc.

My luck has been so bad lately that I'm questioning everything, but, like I mentioned, between my YoZuri rod and my braid rod, I have not seen a significant difference in bites.

I do appreciate your feedback and I will consider it. This is exactly what I was asking for. I don't mean the above to dispute your opinion, merely to explain why I have not done that myself so far, despite knowing it is a very popular rig now.

I also am concerned about how often I will need to retie lure AND leader with the light line leaders, as well as the knot being an additional point of failure.

My braid use is solely for casting performance and line twist management.  I still get line twist in braid but it's not the end of the day like mono.

• Thanks 1