Jump to content

Recommended Posts

going to see my son next Thurs/Sunday. he wants to take me fishing but has no idea which lakes to go to. anyone from the area that could give me some ideas where to go would be very helpful. he's just had his second child and grandma and grampa(me) are finally gonna see em.he loves to fish but being a drill Seargent he doesn't get a lot of time. so thanks in advance. Crypt. p.s. i'm not looking for anyones spots,just a lake or 5 to try out.lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lake Wolford has boats for rent and is decent.  If he is stationed at pendleton it's about an hour away.  There is lake O'Neil on base that rents small craft as well depending on how much time you have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you bringing fishing tackle with you?

Keep in mind California isn't a angler friendly state, you need a non-resident fishing license. Another option is going out on a Oceanside or San Deigo 3/4 day boat for coastal fishing, they supply the tackle and bait you need.

thank you

Otay, El Capitan, Hodges, are all good choices currently for bass.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRB said:

Are you bringing fishing tackle with you?

Keep in mind California isn't a angler friendly state, you need a non-resident fishing license. Another option is going out on a Oceanside or San Deigo 3/4 day boat for coastal fishing, they supply the tackle and bait you need.

thank you

Otay, El Capitan, Hodges, are all good choices currently for bass.

Tom

tackle was sent out already. he has 3-4 spinning rods that he used to bass fish here in Fl. wit. I know I'll have to reline them.I sent out 2 casting rods and reels.along with asst. lures. not a lot but some things that I thought might work.senkos,ned rigs,swimbaits. you know the stuff that catches fish all over.can't wait to get out there.thanks again.

2 hours ago, Angry John said:

Lake Wolford has boats for rent and is decent.  If he is stationed at pendleton it's about an hour away.  There is lake O'Neil on base that rents small craft as well depending on how much time you have.

he's at Miramar for the next 3 months. thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe all the San Diego city lake offer boat rentals,just need to check into it.

I didn't mention San Vicente lake, it's the largest and deepest, has good bass fishing whenever you get the chance, the bass are usually deeper but during the spawn they are shallow on every lake.

Good luck.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WRB said:

Keep in mind California isn't a angler friendly state, you need a non-resident fishing license.

 

image.png.283cc813cefce103117e16e231fd36f8.png

 

An option is to fish at Dixon Lake.  A California fishing license is not required for Dixon Lake:

"Dixon Lake has been granted an Aquaculture Permit by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.  Therefore, anglers are not required to have a California fishing license while fishing at Dixon Lake.  However, all anglers 8 years and older must purchase a daily lake fishing permit (Adults - $7.00, Youth ages 8-15 and Seniors 60 and better $5.00). A second rod permit can be purchased for an additional $2.00.  Fishing permits are available for purchase at the concession stand near the Ranger Station.  You must have a valid fishing permit with you prior to starting to fish.  All other park rules, fishing regulations and City of Escondido municipal codes will remain in effect and will be enforced by Park Rangers."

from https://www.escondido.org/Dixon-Lake-fish-report.aspx

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you plan on fishing Otay get there early!! The line for boat rentals and the ramp can be brutal. I've fished there twice and both times boaters were lined up down the side of the road waiting for them to open the gates! I would assume most of the available public lakes in a highly populated desert will be the same

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BASS302 said:

 

image.png.283cc813cefce103117e16e231fd36f8.png

 

An option is to fish at Dixon Lake.  A California fishing license is not required for Dixon Lake:

"Dixon Lake has been granted an Aquaculture Permit by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.  Therefore, anglers are not required to have a California fishing license while fishing at Dixon Lake.  However, all anglers 8 years and older must purchase a daily lake fishing permit (Adults - $7.00, Youth ages 8-15 and Seniors 60 and better $5.00). A second rod permit can be purchased for an additional $2.00.  Fishing permits are available for purchase at the concession stand near the Ranger Station.  You must have a valid fishing permit with you prior to starting to fish.  All other park rules, fishing regulations and City of Escondido municipal codes will remain in effect and will be enforced by Park Rangers."

from https://www.escondido.org/Dixon-Lake-fish-report.aspx

rod permit? they charge for more than 1 rod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2 rod stamp allow fishing with 2 rods at the same time, no limit on number of rods you have with you. Trout anglers often fish with 2 rods at the same time when trolling or bait fishing.

Tom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WRB said:

The 2 rod stamp allow fishing with 2 rods at the same time, no limit on number of rods you have with you. Trout anglers often fish with 2 rods at the same time when trolling or bait fishing.

Tom

thanks, had me kinda worried. didn't want to take out a mortgage to fish.LOL.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well the trip to San Diego was a blast.got to see the boy, grandkids etc. weather was great. fishing was a short trip to Lake Miramar. 3 hours was all we could squeeze in with all that was planned. have never seen water so clear for the depth !!!!!! deep diving jerk baits,flukes and flipping craws in the cattails. nothing big but had a blast. just to see my son and the new(6 weeks old) granddaughter and grandson(1-1/2) was worth the trip. want to thank everyone on here for their help with ideas and locations. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now when we say clear water and small public lakes you have some idea of what we are talking about, clear like a swimming pool!

Good to hear you enjoyed your visit.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 12:39 AM, WRB said:

So now when we say clear water and small public lakes you have some idea of what we are talking about, clear like a swimming pool!

Good to hear you enjoyed your visit.

Tom

can't wait to go back.my son says clear like vodka.......LOL.....thanks,Crypt....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fish

    bass fish

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×