F15HGuy

Transducer Mounting

Hey guys,

I'm mounting a new transducer on my Jon boat this weekend and could use a little advice. I have researched every aspect of mounting locations, how to level, sealing mounting holes, etc.. What I can't seem to be able to find a straight answer on is wether I will get a better signal with the transducer above or below the water line? Any advice is, as always, is very appreciated.

It is a Garmin Striker 5 for reference

I am not familiar with your unit but the transducer would have to be below the water line. Especially if it also reads temp. You need water temp not air temp.

You're right, and I have no idea why I didn't think of that....:(

You  should read your installation manual illustrating exactly how your unit should be mounted. 

Tom

I have the transducer on my Garmin Echomap 73SV mounted about five inches below the surface which clears the hull on my Portabote.

I have a transducer that I recently mounted on my transom and I can’t seem to make the pitch of my ducer line up level with the bottom of the boat. It seems when I adjust one way or the other the transducer either pitches too far upward or downward. Wondering if anyone has an idea on which position I should leave my transducer in to get the best readout. Unfortunately I can’t get my boat out until the 30” of ice melts in northern Wisconsin. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Slayineyes said:

I have a transducer that I recently mounted on my transom and I can’t seem to make the pitch of my ducer line up level with the bottom of the boat. It seems when I adjust one way or the other the transducer either pitches too far upward or downward. Wondering if anyone has an idea on which position I should leave my transducer in to get the best readout. Unfortunately I can’t get my boat out until the 30” of ice melts in northern Wisconsin. 

Thanks

Think about how your boat will sit in the water vs. How it sits on trailer. My bet it it will sit a little lower

I have a Garmin echo Map on my boat. I have found that it works better with it pushed slightly down instead of level. I have hit stuff in the water that pushed it level or up and it would not work when running. You should be able to adjust the angle of the transducer on the water as needed.