Buffdaddy54

Z-Man Chatterbait Original or not

Question, 

I'm going to be buying a couple of Chatterbaits soon and would like some advice. I really like the price of the ZMan Original at 2.99 but would I be better upgrading to a ProjectZ or Freedom at 7.99? Also what size would be more versatile, 3/8 or 1/2 ? I'm fishing from the bank in small lakes and ponds. Depth of water will rarely exceed 12 feet.

Thanks

Gregg

The Project Z chatterbaits are a bit nicer, but if you are getting the originals for $2.99, I would have no reservations about sticking with them.

As someone who also fishes from the shore, I generally keep both 3/8oz and 1/2oz chatterbaits on hand. In small lakes and ponds I almost always use the smaller size, but if you find there are some monsters in there....

I have several of the original's in 3/8.  I've bought and tried other brands and always end up using the Z-Man original's. 

Where are these originals for $2.99????

• Like 1

I've caught plenty of fish on the originals without any major issues.  The hook tends to get some surface rust after a bit of use if you leave a trailer on it.  I picked up some of the pricier versions last year and I can't say they catch any more fish than the original but they definitely have better hooks.  

I use 3/8 oz almost always.  I tried some 1/2 oz but felt like I had to retrieve it faster than I wanted to in order to keep the bait off the bottom.

39 minutes ago, Junger said:

Where are these originals for $2.99????

My bad. It's the old bait and switch! Bass Pro online says Starting st 2.69 but when I look further there are NONE at 2.69:angry:

1 minute ago, Buffdaddy54 said:

My bad. It's the old bait and switch! Bass Pro online says Starting st 2.69 but when I look further there are NONE at 2.69:angry:

2.69 is for 1/8 oz

the originals have been my best producer. ive tried other chaterbaits and different companies but the zman originals with a big creature bait fished like a jig in the summer has been my favorite 

The original is not that bad, the only con is hardware that get rusted too easily and and somehow jighead can get loose from blade. I don't like freedom at all, the projectZ is nice but you have to fish abit faster to get the action going. I think the one worth upgrading would be Zman custom from TW and elite version.

I use 3/8 for all around from shallow to weedy area.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr. Aquarium said:

the originals have been my best producer. ive tried other chaterbaits and different companies but the zman originals with a big creature bait fished like a jig in the summer has been my favorite 

Same here. I wire the skirt on (usually change it out anyway), change out the snap, sharpen the hook and go to town.

I have the original and the project Z. I prefer the project Z, but I’m looking forward to giving the customs a shot this year. 

Tacticalbassen.com just did an in depth review from the baits trailers and rods.  I don't fish them but Matt is one of the angers I look up to and gives sound advise.  To bad he fishes shimano ;)

• Like 1

I only have an original... I kinda prefer a rageblade more cause of underwater debris in my waters though. Not that either has been a great producer so far, but they definitely have merit in the right conditions, which I obviously don't have. Mine was $6.99 when I bought it I think. I've seen the freedoms, elites, and jackhammers, but never the customs in stores here. I don't like buying lures online unless I've seen it in person first. Jackhammer is definitely not something I'd buy, $20 for one lure is just too much.

• Like 1

Go with the Project Z and save yourself the headache. 

9 hours ago, FishDewd said:

Jackhammer is definitely don't something I'd buy, $20 for one lure is just too much.

I know the jackhammer is pricey, but it is by far the best chatterbait I've ever used. The blade starts vibrating immediately. 

I don't have a lot of experience with the chatter bait yet, but I plan on using hem a lot this year. I bought about 10 in various colors in 3/8 and 1/2. I was able to find them for $2.39 a piece at a local salvage store.

17 hours ago, Buffdaddy54 said:

2.69 is for 1/8 oz

I don't know if you go after trout, but the 1/8oz white ones are killer for stocked rainbows around here, assuming you can get it to run true.  

3 hours ago, nocluefisher said:

I don't have a lot of experience with the chatter bait yet, but I plan on using hem a lot this year. I bought about 10 in various colors in 3/8 and 1/2. I was able to find them for $2.39 a piece at a local salvage store.

WOW! GREAT PRICE!

I have several original ones that the hook point and barb rusted in the package.  Picked up some of the TW ones to try along with some Phenix ones. In the future I just plan on making them. I have already made a few and think they will work well. 

Allen