mheichelbech

Money difference between new and used?

When looking for particular reel and assuming the used condition of the reel is acceptable, what is your dollar threshold difference for going with new versus used?

I am looking at Daiwa Zillions and looks to be about only about a $40 difference on eBay.  To me this is not a big enough difference but it got me to wondering what the threshold is for other buyers and what other variables besides reel condition they used in deciding.

I have bought 4 Shimano bait casters from people on this forum.  Reel age and price are what I consider as well as the reputation of the seller and how long he has been a member of this site.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jig Man said:

I have bought 4 Shimano bait casters from people on this forum.  Reel age and price are what I consider as well as the reputation of the seller and how long he has been a member of this site.

What is your dollar difference threshold for new versus used?  Is it $60, $100?  On average...

Mine is at least $100. I am a big Revo fan, MGX's and MGXtremes. If you do your homework, you can get them well over $100 savings new and more used.

Example:MGXtreme MSRP is $500, ebay is $280 plus shipping, Amazon $290 shipped. I can get them from forum members for about $240.00 used in excellent condition shipped. 

One method that I use is looking up the item on eBay and filtering it under sold and completed items. It will give you a good idea of how much people are paying for it used. 

What model and side are you lpoking for and what price are you seeing?

For me, I want to save like 35% (obv a moving target) before I buy used.   And I don't mean 35% off MSRP, but off the usual "you gotta look a little" new price.  

$60-$100 off the lowest price I can find online typically.. it makes me laugh when people, usually on Facebook sale groups, try to sell $200 rods for $180 plus shipping.. crazy. 

I have bought 7 or 8 reels from BR members. My general rule of thumb is this:

Reputation of the seller

"Gently used"

9 or 10 cosmetically, 10 mechanical

Price around 60% of MSRP

:fishing-026:

I will not sell something that isn't in very good condition and completely serviceable, and I typically sell at just above half price of a new item.  I don't use MSRP.  I use the lowest price it can be found for on line, then knock off about half.

A lot of guys/gals I see don't seem to understand depreciation of fishing gear once it has been used and will try to sell at a fraction below what it goes for new.  

• Like 2

This is the Only place I'll both buy & sell my gear. 

Done both and have had only positive experiences. 

It's all only worth what someone (including me) is willing to pay for it.

That often differs quite a bit from one buyer to another.

Either way, when I'm 'buying or selling' in a forum entitled 'flea market', 

I believe it helps to have reasonable expectations.

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 1

Interesting topic...

Not everything you buy will be priced so much off of retail. Take the E series shimanos like 200 E7 and 50E. Both reels were being closed out for about $140 or so. However now check Ebay and other places and you will see them selling used for about that much and mint(ish) for $175 or so.

Another example is rarity. Look at some of the Megabass reels like the Monoblocks, TDZ personal Orders, etc. You will find them drawing very high prices.

Now if you are talking about somethink like a Shimano Curado K or Daiwa Tatula CT - Both readily available then that is something that is more easily determined. The Tatulua CT retails for $149 but I picked up a new one from an online retailer for $65 or $70 NIB. That is a huge deal and something you don't usually come across. You can find them on Ebay for around $100. So if I was buying it lightly used I would expect to pay $90 or less.

I find it funny how much people want for some reels.. perfect example being shimano e reels I see used ones going for more than they cost new 5 or so years ago... 

All fishing gear if bought, even unused is 40% off of new. 

If it is a highly desired and hard to get or find  are in a different realm and prices can go way up there over the original new price. 

Used stuff should be half the cost of new, or somewhere there close.

I see what people look for or willing to pay.  The cost is all depending on availability and what people are willing to pay.  A fair price changes all the time.  If an item is common using the eBay current average helps.  Don't ever get into the swim bait game if you want deals.  People scalp baits regularly and paying above msrp is basically standard.  I challenge you to find a battle shad for msrp.  Even the bait makers scalp.

23 hours ago, kickerfish1 said:

Interesting topic...

Not everything you buy will be priced so much off of retail. Take the E series shimanos like 200 E7 and 50E. Both reels were being closed out for about $140 or so. However now check Ebay and other places and you will see them selling used for about that much and mint(ish) for $175 or so.

Another example is rarity. Look at some of the Megabass reels like the Monoblocks, TDZ personal Orders, etc. You will find them drawing very high prices.

Now if you are talking about somethink like a Shimano Curado K or Daiwa Tatula CT - Both readily available then that is something that is more easily determined. The Tatulua CT retails for $149 but I picked up a new one from an online retailer for $65 or $70 NIB. That is a huge deal and something you don't usually come across. You can find them on Ebay for around $100. So if I was buying it lightly used I would expect to pay $90 or less.

Interesting that you mention the "E" series. It constitutes 90% of my arsenal. It actually might have the highest percentile in the resale market. With that being said, I understand why. I have fished almost all the Shimano series that make those lines of reels and they are by far going away my favorite. This is not just based on hype, but my actual field testing. Both performance and durability wise. Its been said Shimano has a posse and the "E" series has a cult following and if you check the resale value it rings true...

I agree with lionheart.why pay close to retail for used, another thing I think of is what happens if it breaks.if I buy it new can return it or have someone to talk to about it

On 4/15/2018 at 2:38 PM, fisherrw said:

I find it funny how much people want for some reels.. perfect example being shimano e reels I see used ones going for more than they cost new 5 or so years ago... 

I bought my 201E7 (mint) for $140-$145 (forget which) a couple years ago.  Hard to find one at that price today.  Not long ago I saw a 50th Anniversary Zillion with an asking price of $75 over what they cost new.  I got a like new one several years ago at 25% off MSRP price.  It was worth it to me because it quickly became a favorite reel of mine.  Now if I were like many and planned on selling it a year or two later so I could try something different, then I wouldn't have paid that price.