FryDog62

Skip a mop jig?

Anyone have much luck skipping a mop jig?  Too bulky, or stays aloft better to skip?

I do cut my Mop jigs back ! And they skip just fine the way I cut them back! 

• Thanks 1

No. They're too bulky to skip consistently and cutting them back, IMO, takes away their biggest attribute. I'm not saying that won't work, just that you can bulk up a regular jig with a trailer and accomplish basically the same thing.

1 hour ago, papajoe222 said:

No. They're too bulky to skip consistently and cutting them back, IMO, takes away their biggest attribute. I'm not saying that won't work, just that you can bulk up a regular jig with a trailer and accomplish basically the same thing.

Thx for the responses.  I kind of thought that was the case... but I saw Davy Hite do ansegment on Bass Pros and it looked like he skipped one about 30 yards.  Of course, he’s a tad more of an expert than I am.  

When you say mop jig do you mean Buckeye living rubber mop jig?

If so there are several vedio's with Hite fishing mop jigs from bottom crawling, swimming and pitching docks, look online.

Tom

3 hours ago, WRB said:

When you say mop jig do you mean Buckeye living rubber mop jig?

If so there are several vedio's with Hite fishing mop jigs from bottom crawling, swimming and pitching docks, look online.

Tom

Yes it’s the Buckeye mop jig.  I just bought 6 variations of the standard jig and the mini size and plan to use them this summer.  I’m looking at putting it on one of two different rods.  One that has a reel I feel comfortable skipping and one I don’t.  So if it’s not a realistic option to skip a mop jig it makes my decision of which rod/reel easier.  

I wouldn't buy a mop jig and cut it down to perform better skipping, buy Sieberts Dock Rocker jig to skip and fish the mop where it works best on the bottom.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a mop jig for almost every situation personally, and the 3/8 "Brown" Buckeye is my go to. Ive never had a issue skipping it...just takes practice