Jump to content
Brock_v

new rods and reel you like

Recommended Posts

What are some new rods you've picked up and really enjoy fishing them if so what are you using them for

 

I'm looking at picking up a dobyns champ xp 683 any opinions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My newest rod is always my favorite rod at the moment. :D

 

So last week it was a brand new 6' Cabela's XML spinning rod that I was flinging 1/16oz Ned Rigs and TRD's on and getting numbers on at a highly pressured lake, then I broke it.

 

Now it's my Megabass Orochi EMTF throwing 4.8" Keitech's with 1/8oz Trokar Swim Blades.

 

Heard nothing but great things about the Dobyns Champ XP's. Based on what I've read, their taper is a little more moderate than stated, and I'm very interested in that. I'll probably pick up one eventually.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really enjoying my Tatula Elite AGS.. I have the 7' M-MH. I use it for 1/8oz and weightless Texas rigs, neko rig and jerkbaits mostly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Junger said:

My newest rod is always my favorite rod at the moment. :D

 

So last week it was a brand new 6' Cabela's XML spinning rod that I was flinging 1/16oz Ned Rigs and TRD's on and getting numbers on at a highly pressured lake, then I broke it.

 

Now it's my Megabass Orochi EMTF throwing 4.8" Keitech's with 1/8oz Trokar Swim Blades.

 

Heard nothing but great things about the Dobyns Champ XP's. Based on what I've read, their taper is a little more moderate than stated, and I'm very interested in that. I'll probably pick up one eventually.

Yeah I have a bunch of fury's and some savy's but I wanna try one of their higher end rods to see how it compares to rods in that price range like cashion and phenix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

67034_ED7_015_C_4_C25_88_DA_CDB45738_DFC

 

I love my new Denali AttaX 7' Medium spinning rod. Paired it with a size 2000 reel for Ned Rigs.

 

I also love my Kastking Calamus 6,10' Light spinning rod. Paired it with a size 1000 reel for Trout fishing. Last week I started using it while pond fishing for Bass and it has been great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few...

 

SC LTW 6'8" m/xf spinning (I got the walleye instead of bass version for the full cork grip). Some weightless, wacky and jerkbaits so far.

SC LTB 7'4" h/f. Frogs

Dobyns Champion 734c f/h (old version from their refurbished store). Great all around rod. Nice balance.

 

I'm really digging the Daiwa Tatula CT reels. I got one to try out. Liked it enough to sell my Lew's LFS reels and replaced the all with the Tatula CT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own several Powell rods and will continue to buy them. They’re just all around solid rods. Super light, super strong, and very sensitive! My fishing partner is a Powell guy as well so no complaints there. However, my 7ft MH Abu Garcia Veritas is one of my favorite rods, and for the price ($100 if you know where to look), I will grab another in the future. From pitching finesse jigs to lay downs, to lipless cranks in sparse grass, this rod is one of my workhorses. Hell I’ve even horsed a couple of good ones out of the slop on a frog with it.

 

For reels I’m also a dedicated Lews guy. My latest reel is a Lews Custom Speed Spool. Casts a mile and reels smooth as butter. Highly recommended.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have picked up too much since last November.

 

Zolo Deputy.  Been out twice...I think.  A new-2-me Steez on it.  All around rod, but plan on using it for bottom contact lures.

Zolo Toadface.  Not had a reel on it yet.  Toads and frogs.  Maybe jigs.

Villain 2.0 6'10" ML casting.  No reel on it yet.  Will be an all around finesse rod.

Major Craft Benkei 672.  Out once with a new BG 1500 and 5# braid.  Suppose to be my Ned Rig.  Liking it.

Fantasista Regista 6'10" ML spinning.  Arrived last week.  The Procyon going on it was purchased last year and isn't spooled yet.  Will be an all around finesse rod.

Custom Drop Shot casting rod.  No reel on it yet.

New SV103 probably go on the Toadface.

New-2-me Exsence DC.  Went to Florida with me earlier this year.  Loving it.

 

Still have more casting reels than rods.  My problem is I am working too many hours and when I do have time off it is either raining or I am sleeping......or both.  :teeth:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved my Curado but i just sent it back in for service. Its been a good year for me I have caught 4 largies  over 5 in the last two weeks. For reels I like lews , Shimano and I have a bunch of gen 2 premiers .  My premiers are my workhorses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not allowed to really talk about this rod, but I got it a couple weeks ago, and I have been loving it. It's a 6'6" ML/F with a Daiwa Luvias 2000H, spooled with 6lb Tatsu. I found the rod on sale for $129 and figured I would give it a try. I would be happy with it even if I paid the $175 retail, at this point. It balances right where the plastic meets the cork on the locking foregrip. It feels pretty much perfect in hand.

20180516_112515.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

St. Croix Mojo Bass 7'1', MH/Fast.  Just bought one a few months back, it seems like a real quality rod.  As far as reels, I throw mostly Shimano Chronarch or Curados.  I recently bought an an Abu Revo STX, its a good reel, but I still like my Shimanos better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently purchased a BPS Carbonlite 2.0 7’ MHF. I’m pretty impressed with it. It lighter than my St Croix Mojo Bass rod of the same model and very sensitive and responsive. I’ve got it paired up with a Lews Speed Spool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to get the new Kistler Zbone (early release not yet available to everyone) and I’m so happy with them. I’ll let everyone know when they are ready for purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 11:18 PM, new2BC4bass said:

Have picked up too much since last November.

 

Zolo Deputy.  Been out twice...I think.  A new-2-me Steez on it.  All around rod, but plan on using it for bottom contact lures.

Zolo Toadface.  Not had a reel on it yet.  Toads and frogs.  Maybe jigs.

Villain 2.0 6'10" ML casting.  No reel on it yet.  Will be an all around finesse rod.

Major Craft Benkei 672.  Out once with a new BG 1500 and 5# braid.  Suppose to be my Ned Rig.  Liking it.

Fantasista Regista 6'10" ML spinning.  Arrived last week.  The Procyon going on it was purchased last year and isn't spooled yet.  Will be an all around finesse rod.

Custom Drop Shot casting rod.  No reel on it yet.

New SV103 probably go on the Toadface.

New-2-me Exsence DC.  Went to Florida with me earlier this year.  Loving it.

 

Still have more casting reels than rods.  My problem is I am working too many hours and when I do have time off it is either raining or I am sleeping......or both.  :teeth:

I thought you were holding off buying more!  😁

7 hours ago, jtharris3 said:

I recently purchased a BPS Carbonlite 2.0 7’ MHF. I’m pretty impressed with it. It lighter than my St Croix Mojo Bass rod of the same model and very sensitive and responsive. I’ve got it paired up with a Lews Speed Spool.

I was really impressed as well but with the 1.0 version.  I was pleasantly surprised with their sensitivity.  

 

As for me for new rods and reels.  I really didn't buy anything during the off season or this season.  I have been updating my cottage so this took precedence.  I did have an opportunity to buy another Chronarch MGL, it was really hard not too but I earned brownie points by giving the money up instead to our kitchen cabinets for the cottage that my wife really wanted.  Although for a great cause, I really wished I had another one.  😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lmbfisherman said:

I thought you were holding off buying more!  😁

 

I am..................as of last week.  :D  Now I have to find time to use the ones I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up the Megabass Orochi XX EMTF last year.   My favorite rod by a mile.  Super sensitive for light jigs, Senkos, keitechs, etc.   when I pitch a jig with a Rage Craw trailer, I can feel the claws flapping on the fall.  Thinking about adding a Perfect Pitch soon. Just wish they had St Croix’s warranty.   If that were the case I would have a hard time not going all Megabass.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im turning into a Fenwick HMG snob:

 

7' ML-F

7' M-XF

7' Travel Rod(On the way)

 

For my budget and buying new. I have no complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Curado K 8.5:1 on a new 7'MHF Carbonlite 2.0 (from the big sale)..  A wicked set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, OnthePotomac said:

My Curado K 8.5:1 on a new 7'MHF Carbonlite 2.0 (from the big sale)..  A wicked set up.

I have the same combo I love it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 3:52 PM, Armtx77 said:

Im turning into a Fenwick HMG snob:

 

7' ML-F

7' M-XF

7' Travel Rod(On the way)

 

For my budget and buying new. I have no complaints.

I like the few I have and often recommend the HMG in the $100 price range.  Shipped a 7' MF spinning rod to Florida where it and 30# braid on a 2500 Sol landed the vast majority of the bass I caught there this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×