Adleyfishes

Is Kast King really quality?

24 minutes ago, Glenn said:

^^ uh-oh, somebody got upset because you compared their favorite brand to another^^  😏

C'mon guys, relax.  It's fishing.  Fishing is meant to be fun.  Don't get all emotional over brand this or brand that.  In the big picture of things, it's insignificant.

I'm not emotional. I simply found analogy to be misinformed and silly. Daiwa & Shimaino aren't even my favorite brands. 

I own a lot of Kastking rods and reels.

I started off with the Mela II, then the Sharky II, then the Stealth, etc. You could say I have a lot of hands on experience with their products.

Kastking's slogan is "Keeping fishing fun by keeping it affordable." Affordable is the key word. The affordable aspect comes mainly from cutting out the middleman and selling directly to the consumer. If these reels were sold in big box stores they would cost as much as your Lew's, Pfluegers and Abu's. When you purchase a Kastking rod or reel you are getting a reel that will look, feel and perform better than it's price point.

That being said I do notice a difference in the quality between the lower priced Kastking reels and those that cost a bit more. As far as spinning reels go, I recommend the Sharky II and up. For Baitcasters I recommend the Kastking Stealth and up. My advice is to skip the lower cost reels like the Centron, MelaII, Royal Legend, Whitemax and invest in one of their higher end models.

The Assassin is still Kastking's benchmark reel to me. For the price it can't be beat. It is the perfect balance of low cost and great quality.

So far their rods are great. I have not purchased one I didn't like.

Great customer service and staff. And last but not least I fished Kastking reels exclusively last year and none of them died on me. All I did was some routine maintenance after a few trips.

Kastking really needs to sponsor me.

• Like 1

I prefer buying something that can last at least 10 years so I will stick to my Shimano and Penn spinning reels since they have proven themselves to me to be good reels in the long run. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Glenn said:

I've been beating the snot out an Assassin for 2 years now without any issues.

Same.

The question to ask is who makes Kastking reels?  They don't.  Once you get that answer you will know.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

The question to ask is who makes Kastking reels?

They're made in China to Kastking's specs.  My long time friend since cub scouts does the same thing.  He's an engineer, and designs the reels.  He then works with a factory to make the reels.  He supplies the design files and specs, and they produce samples.  They then agree on quantity and price, and start manufacturing them.  What I found interesting was that it's a totally different factory that makes the packaging, and sometimes a third that puts it all together in the box with instructions.  The tackle is sent directly to Amazon fulfillment warehouses, where they wait to be sold.  Eric's company works under the same business model as Kastking, and sells 1000's fly rods and reels a month.  The only real difference is he also sells flies and furled leaders his wife makes.

Here is a link to one of his kits: https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Water-Fishing-Complete-Starter/dp/B005ETGEFW?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005ETGEFW

BTW, Kastking is now offering braid that is MADE in the USA.  It's VERY good stuff, based off just a few weeks of trying it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, punch said:

This is really a TERRIBLE analogy and doesn't make any sense when you're talking about Daiwa & Shimano vs Kast King (or other generic chineese reel brands). Daiwa & Shimano are companies that have an amazing pedigree in the reel business and make products for multiple markets & have some of the best R&D and engineering in the entire tackle industry... comparing them to a "dressed up Toyota" is just ridiculous. They make quality $60 reels and quality $600 reels, and have been for decades. Daiwa & Shimano have some of the best tolerances, materials & gearing in the fishing world. 

My head actually hurt reading this one. 

You missed the point. :P

9 hours ago, Glenn said:

^^ uh-oh, somebody got upset because you compared their favorite brand to another^^  😏

C'mon guys, relax.  It's fishing.  Fishing is meant to be fun.  Don't get all emotional over brand this or brand that.  In the big picture of things, it's insignificant.

very well said.......it's fishing not brain surgery.

I have a kastking assassin as well just started using it I like it thus far. I mean tbh at 50-60 bucks if you get 2-3 years out of it that seems like a bargain to me. One day when my skill has evolved I might go in on a higher dollar reel but for now I’ll keep it simple and cheap. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, J Francho said:

BTW, Kastking is now offering braid that is MADE in the USA.  It's VERY good stuff, based off just a few weeks of trying it.

Yes,  it is very good stuff.   I am using the KastPro type of line; although I base my opinion on several years of using the exact same stuff that was sold under the brand name USA BRAID - made in USA - Spectra - by Honeywell.  Started buying a few years ago, based on the recommendation of forum member Sirsnookalot, who was someone that did not care about the brand label as much as he cared how well the product worked and if it was cost effective.  I'm thankful for his good advice on the USA Braid product which is now being sold by Kastking and labeled as their KastPro line. 

• Like 3

I’d also like to mention when discussing quality it’s all relative. Higher quality is naturally more expensive. What every consumer is searching for is maximum quality at the lowest price. With the exception of people who have very strong brand loyalty. So I think Kastking is pretty “high quality” for the amount of money you pay. There business model is all about delivering effectice products at a very affordable price. So I don’t think they can be compared with Shimanoe and Daiwas cause it’s not really comparing apples to apples. 

Again for me personally it allowed me to get something effective on a budget and got me outside fishing quickly. I think that’s the most important thing. If you have the time and the money and arnt in need of a reel right now. I think tackle warehouse offers demos of reels so you can try some different ones out before buying. If you need something quick on a budget I think the Kastking Assassin is a good buy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sharkicane said:

Again for me personally it allowed me to get something effective on a budget and got me outside fishing quickly. I think that’s the most important thing.

Nailed it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FishDewd said:

They do have excellent customer service and a lot of pros actually use them daily. I think the main reason they are a lot lower cost is simply because it's not a big brand name. With Shimano and Daiwa, you are paying that extra $50-100 simply because it says Daiwa or Shimano on it. Marketing/reputation, whatever.... Not to say they aren't great reels because they are. Point is they charge for the name and logo alone. Let me explain it this way... it's like buying a Lexus over a similar model Toyota. The difference is that the Lexus will be a little "nicer" in features, but it still uses a lot of the same components as a Toyota and is even made in the same factories. During that Toyota brake recall debacle some years ago, Lexus was included in that recall. Same exact issue for a more expensive "nicer" car. In this case, I'm not saying that they use the same parts, but they well could.

They don't. Your analogy is way off base.  

• Like 1

I wasn't really directly comparing them just explaining how the marketing works. The Toyota comparison was strictly Toyota Vs Lexus had nothing to do with the reels. Obviously Kastking is a different level than a Daiwa or Shimano, but personally I don't own any Daiwas or Shimanos because I find them to be overpriced. Would it make you feel better if the comparison had been Shakespeare vs. Kastking?

I can see what you're trying to say, but the Toyota:Lexus is more like Shakespeare:Abu Garcia.  In other words, same parent company.  Kastking has zero association to Daiwa or Shimano.  This is why some are questioning your analogy.

Now lets drop it, and discuss the topic at hand.  None of these posts are relevant anymore.

• Like 1

I was about to buy a speed demon but a friend of mine bought one and it spooled all the line onto one side of the reel.... after that I decided not to get one.  Sure they are cheap but for $70 you can buy a decent used reel. Maybe I’ll give them a chance eventually after they have been popular for longer so that I know from others how long they last and all that.  It would have to last as long as some of the other reels last in that price range, I’m not saying it can’t but I’m sceptical.

Like I said, we're done with off topic debate.

I have 4 - 2 Demons & 2 Assassins. I've beat the crap out of them without issue. I did read a recommendation to clean out all of the assembly gunk and lube/oil properly and I did that. If they ever make a 300 or 400 size swimbait reel, I would not hesitate to try it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J Francho said:

They're made in China to Kastking's specs.  My long time friend since cub scouts does the same thing.  He's an engineer, and designs the reels.  He then works with a factory to make the reels.  He supplies the design files and specs, and they produce samples.  They then agree on quantity and price, and start manufacturing them.  What I found interesting was that it's a totally different factory that makes the packaging, and sometimes a third that puts it all together in the box with instructions.  The tackle is sent directly to Amazon fulfillment warehouses, where they wait to be sold.  Eric's company works under the same business model as Kastking, and sells 1000's fly rods and reels a month.  The only real difference is he also sells flies and furled leaders his wife makes.

Here is a link to one of his kits: https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Water-Fishing-Complete-Starter/dp/B005ETGEFW?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005ETGEFW

I know a total side track here but where can you get the furled leaders?  I didn't see them on amazon and i have been wanting to try them and if i can support a friend of yours I might as well do it...

• Like 1

I have 4 Kastking reels. They are quality pieces. I have used Curado 70, Curado 200 B, Tatulas, Calcutta (probably my favorite) and while these are not in that league, they are d**n nice tools for what you pay. I have a Royale, Stealth, Spartacus Plus and Sharky II. The Sharky is replacing a Lews SG300 in finesse duty. I like it better for what I do. If you give them a fair shake, they WILL make a believer out of you. I like the Stealth and up the best for what that's worth.

• Like 1

I'll add my .02, I bought the Speed Demon when they were recently on sale. For me the jury is still out. I personally need more time with the reel to honestly evaluate it fully. So far I like what I see. The build quality is good. Thus far, the reel performs as it should. It took a little more effort to get it dialed in but once that was accomplished, it is performing well. I own mostly Lews Speed Spools and Shimano Citica's and BPS Pro Qualifiers. YMMV

No comments about the quality of Kastking reels, or user experiences have been removed.  There was a long winded side debate about whether an analogy was appropriate, and honestly, all chest beating crapped up a useful thread.  I'd rather wear my member hat than my mod hat.  Let's keep it on topic.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2018 at 5:22 PM, Hez said:

Is Kast King still a BR sponsor?   

My son has the Kast King bait caster.  Other than it being difficult to dial in at times, it has been dependable for sure.  

We sure are! Thanks for the feedback.

11 hours ago, Drew03cmc said:

I have 4 Kastking reels. They are quality pieces. I have used Curado 70, Curado 200 B, Tatulas, Calcutta (probably my favorite) and while these are not in that league, they are d**n nice tools for what you pay. I have a Royale, Stealth, Spartacus Plus and Sharky II. The Sharky is replacing a Lews SG300 in finesse duty. I like it better for what I do. If you give them a fair shake, they WILL make a believer out of you. I like the Stealth and up the best for what that's worth.

THANK YOU!

13 hours ago, 1201vilbig said:

I have 4 - 2 Demons & 2 Assassins. I've beat the crap out of them without issue. I did read a recommendation to clean out all of the assembly gunk and lube/oil properly and I did that. If they ever make a 300 or 400 size swimbait reel, I would not hesitate to try it.

Check out the Spartacus Maximus.

19 hours ago, ratherbfishin1 said:

I was about to buy a speed demon but a friend of mine bought one and it spooled all the line onto one side of the reel.... after that I decided not to get one.  Sure they are cheap but for $70 you can buy a decent used reel. Maybe I’ll give them a chance eventually after they have been popular for longer so that I know from others how long they last and all that.  It would have to last as long as some of the other reels last in that price range, I’m not saying it can’t but I’m sceptical.

Did your friend reach out to our awesome customer service team? If not, we would be happy to look at this issue. Reels are machines, and like all machines, require maintenance and care.

• Like 2

I've been debating trying fly fishing for smallmouth some local streams and rivers.....and the KastKing combo kits look great. I just haven't been able to convince myself to make the transition. I don't know that I want to spend my money on a style of fishing I'm not certain I'll like.