Jump to content

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Kastking responded publicly that they would take care of him. I don't feel like we're getting the full story.  Frankly, I don't care anymore.  You can offer all the help in the world, and yet still some people won't take it.

I am talking to KastKing now with Glenn's help. I privately messaged you to explain the circumstance. They told me my warranty was out. But I am pleased to get a second chance with KastKing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting an update!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, all 4 of my Kastking reels, (Royale, Stealth, Spartacus Plus, Sharky II) are very high quality reels for the expense. I have less than $150 in them. It's really not worth it to not try them. I'm a huge fan.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am reopening this thread to give a quick review on 4 KastKing reels I purchased this spring.

I had 2 baitcasters and 2 spinning reels that were wore out and needed replaced.

I was planning on spending around $600.00 to replace these reels, but decided to tryout a couple kastkings after reading reviews here.

 

the total for the following 4 reels cost me  $210.00 on Amazon.

I did not buy them all at once. They were purchase over a 1 month time frame.

 

 

First reel was a sharky II in size 3000 for my shakyhead rod. it is on a medium action 7 ft rod, filled with 10lb power pro.

it is surprisingly smooth and has worked flawlessly

 

second reel was a sharky III in size 2000 for my ned rig rod. It is on a medium light 7 ft rod,  filled with 8lb.  trilene xl.  This reel is impressive. The smoothest spinning reel that I own. it fishes way above its price range.

 

third reel was an Assasin for my chatterbait/spinnerbait rod. it is on a medium heavy 7ft. rod and filled with 15lb. high seas grand slam.

at first it made a lot of noise. I was going to send it back, but decided to clean and lube it first. found the noise was coming from a dry centrifugal braking system. put a light  coat of lube on the brake ring and it has worked flawlessly for 2 months. this reel is extremely smooth, casts a mile and when set right, gets zero backlashes.

 

last reel was the speed demon. I put this on my 7.5 ft medium heavy pitching rod. it is filled with 15lb high seas grand slam.

this reel has impressed me the most. The larger frame size fits my palm perfectly.

It is extremely smooth and has very little backlashing issues. all without a centrifugal brake.

the 9.3 to 1 gear ratio is great. very easy to catch up with a fish that bites and swims toward the boat.

the high speed is also nice for quickly reeling in, between pitches.

Not sure why, but I can pitch a bait much farther with this reel, than any other I own.

 

I was very skeptical at first because of the low price. 

Only time will tell on how long they will last, but at the moment I am impressed.

Even if they only last a few years, the cost was around 1/3 the price I was originally planning for these 4 reels.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered a matching KastKing Speed Demon Pro rod and reel a couple days ago that will hopefully be here early next week. Really excited to get to use that setup. Got the 7' 3" M/F (which is rated more like a MH at 10-20lb test and 3/8-1oz baits). It's going to be a jig and plastics rod for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this thread keeps popping up...

 

Forum user makes comments about Daiwa reels being trash, no mods comment.

 

Forum user makes comments about Shimano reels being trash, no mods comment.

 

Forum user makes comments comments about a Kast King reel being trash, DING DING - HERE COME THE MODS.

 

I hope Kast King doesn't start making senko-style baits... 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, offsidewing said:

Since this thread keeps popping up...

 

Forum user makes comments about Daiwa reels being trash, no mods comment.

 

Forum user makes comments about Shimano reels being trash, no mods comment.

 

Forum user makes comments comments about a Kast King reel being trash, DING DING - HERE COME THE MODS.

 

I hope Kast King doesn't start making senko-style baits... 

 

Good observation.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no financial gain for my previous post.

it was just an honest review of a group of reels that I wrongly felt were over hyped.

are they at the same level as high end Shimanos or Diawas?

probably not, but in my opinion they are better than any other reel in their price range.

the reels I bought were replacing a couple old silver maxes and a couple old pflueger presidents.

the KastKings are much better reels than either one of those.

one thing people have to take into consideration is the KastKing reels are 1/3 the price of most high end reels.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a kastking speed daemon last year it lasted 2 months then fell off my rod. I sent it in to get replaced and never saw it again. There are plenty of low price reels on the market make by quality companies I would go with one of those. If you compare a kastking with reels from shimano, Lews or abu that are in the same price range I feel like Kastking is a rip-off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright so I don’t get banned, I will put this disclaimer, if I were KastKing i would do exactly what I am asking. 

 

When I was younger I dabbled in something I was good enough at to get sponsored gear. This gear looked identical to what everyone else could buy, but let me tell you it was light years better than the over the counter product. They of course did this to sell product by us winning with their gear and talking it up, way before social media and smart phones;)

 

My question to the mods and KastKing is do you buy direct from them, or off of amazon. Essentially are you getting random reels or hand picked reels? Personally I would hope it is the latter. This I am guessing wouldn’t be any different than other sponsored guys getting hand picked reels from their reel sponsors. 

 

I have no horse in the race, I did pass on a KastKing reel a year or so ago, because I could get a Daiwa Laguna cheap, that I knew I liked because I had used one before. 

 

I will I’ll say if you guys are getting random reels I would definitely be more impressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KastKing Royale Legend Casting is OK...great fishing rod...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cgolf said:

My question to the mods and KastKing is do you buy direct from them, or off of amazon.

They send us reels for evaluation.  I do not believe they are cherry picked.  I know myself and @Bluebasser86 have purchased them online.  I used Amazon, and there was no discount.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no shame knowing who butters your bread as a website owner.  Everybody ought to know that.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, J Francho said:

They send us reels for evaluation.  I do not believe they are cherry picked.  I know myself and @Bluebasser86 have purchased them online.  I used Amazon, and there was no discount.

Thanks for the reply and that is awesome to hear. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 11:38 PM, new2BC4bass said:

I've not used a KastKing, but as you can see some on here have and like them.  There are other options if you are leery of trying another.  A Fuego CT can be found for less than $60.  It would be my first choice.  I admit to being a Daiwa fan.  It got a "Best Value Award" from TT.  The H2O Xpress Mettle is regularly $60 and goes on sale occasionally.  Never used one myself, but others on here have and say they are good reels for the money.  Or keep an eye open on the For Sale forums.  I've picked up a $250 reel for $65 that was in excellent condition.  Closeouts can also be a great way to get a new reel.

I thought long and hard about getting the Mettle, but I think at the time they didn't have a model faster than 6.3:1. So I went for the TAC-40 and I'm very impressed. But I should be. It was $100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 5:43 AM, J Francho said:

I don't own a Kia...

I think most everyone here believes you are a Prius owner... 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OCdockskipper said:

I think most everyone here believes you are a Prius owner... 😁

I owned many Kia and loved them all. Reliable, well equiped and cheap. I was lucky enough to not buy a model with the 2.0L problematic engine though. I had a 05 Spectra 5, a 2009 Rio5 and actually daily drive a 2013 Rio5. I have an 03 Jeep Liberty for fishing trips, love it except for gaz mileage. As about the reels, I just ordered a Royale Legend Elite and a Valiant Eagle. Can't wait to try them ! Buying process isnt that simple for Canucks though @KastKingUSA !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been a contributing member of this site and use it quite regularly as a source of information and assistance.  I help others by sharing my experience and honest perspective in the hopes that it would benefit them or another member. 

 

After reading this thread, especially replies from some of the mods to minimize any perspectives or experiences that might reflect poorly on a sponsor disappoints me.  

 

I am not naive. I understand the direct financial relationship...but we do ourselves ...our community a huge disservice if we suppress real experiences and honest perspectives...major reasons for the website’s existence. 

 

And also, an official moderator to go so far as calling out a member with an accusation of telling untruths.

 

Without a a public apology.  

 

Guys, I am not sure what to say.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OperationEagle: Thanks for a very thoughtful response.  This topic is one on which there will be numerous comments/responses and they will range from laudatory to total condemnation. I find myself with mixed feelings about many of them; particularly those of the moderators.  Let me say first that I believe the moderators’ discussion of the products is probably accurate ... from their perspectives.  I have no reason to doubt them.

 

But, and to me this is a BIG but, I am extremely skeptical that these gentlemen receive the same treatment as I.  I will not challenge the statements of quality or longevity of KK products since I personally will never own one. That has nothing to do with the product, but with the company’s very questionable, to me, customer service. A couple of years ago while looking for a new spinning reel, I visited the website, Eposeidon.com (or something similar - don’t remember exactly) to ask if I could purchase an extra spool for the reel. I also asked the same question of the Lew’s folks. Lew’s customer service responded the same day. KK never responded. I sent a second e-mail, albeit a rather huffy one, to KK and never heard back. (I had mixed results with other vendors as well.) I mention Lew’s simply because the company response was the quickest.

 

Now I find myself in a quandary every time someone asks me about KK; what do I say? All I can do is relate my experience and wish them good luck if they decide to purchase.  And as for the reviews I read here, I just don’t know what to think. But it is extremely easy for a company to flag preferred customers’ accounts for preferential treatment. As for buying through Amazon ... I have to wonder who actually fills the order. I have no clue.

 

So, after this rambling discourse I guess my feeling is that each of us has to read, evaluate the reviews, and make a decision based upon what we read (or hear) and decide what information will drive our decision. For me, customer service is extremely important and, for me personally, KK fails in that area.  I realize others speak glowingly of the company, but ultimately I have to go with my experience. Over the years I’ve slowly acquired a list of vendors with I’ve whom I’ve had positive experience - even if their products aren’t the “best”. Service and support trumps product for me. But that’s just me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 6:39 AM, Adleyfishes said:

I am talking to KastKing now with Glenn's help. .... I am pleased to get a second chance with KastKing.

 

Seems this part was missed by a few folks....

 

Happy to help!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, OperationEagle said:

I have been a contributing member of this site and use it quite regularly as a source of information and assistance.  I help others by sharing my experience and honest perspective in the hopes that it would benefit them or another member. 

 

After reading this thread, especially replies from some of the mods to minimize any perspectives or experiences that might reflect poorly on a sponsor disappoints me.  

 

I am not naive. I understand the direct financial relationship...but we do ourselves ...our community a huge disservice if we suppress real experiences and honest perspectives...major reasons for the website’s existence. 

 

And also, an official moderator to go so far as calling out a member with an accusation of telling untruths.

 

Without a a public apology.  

 

Guys, I am not sure what to say.  

I’ll give you and anyone else a public apology if it came across as suppression. That’s not the intent at all. If anyone personally has an issue with support, reach out to us and we will make sure you are satisfied. In every single case where a customer was dissatisfied, KastKing has made an effort to make it right. 

 

@GrumpyOlPhartte I don’t know about any preferential treatment, I get the reels in the mail, spool it up and fish them. As for the question of an extra spool, I do not think that is available. I don’t think they stock spare parts at all, which would increase costs considerably. In every case where there was a mechanical issue, the fix is a replacement with a new reel. Hopefully that helps you make a decision whether to use them or not. 

 

On the topic of spare spools, that’s something I think would be important to an anger on a budget. Makes for two reels in one. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J Francho said:

I’ll give you and anyone else a public apology if it came across as suppression. That’s not the intent at all. If anyone personally has an issue with support, reach out to us and we will make sure you are satisfied. In every single case where a customer was dissatisfied, KastKing has made an effort to make it right. 

 

@GrumpyOlPhartte I don’t know about any preferential treatment, I get the reels in the mail, spool it up and fish them. As for the question of an extra spool, I do not think that is available. I don’t think they stock spare parts at all, which would increase costs considerably. In every case where there was a mechanical issue, the fix is a replacement with a new reel. Hopefully that helps you make a decision whether to use them or not. 

 

On the topic of spare spools, that’s something I think would be important to an anger on a budget. Makes for two reels in one. 

Suppression? As the mod of a fishing a fishing site I’m not sure what you would be suppresssing here. I myself had my account locked by you until I acknowledged my wrongdoing for less than the way you treated the OP on this thread. I think that’s what operation eagle was getting at. Different rules for the mods vs members. 

 

I’ve said it before if anyone wants to go back and read my posts, budget tackle is great, fish what you can afford and have fun, that’s what it’s all about. But I think the reason there’s so much controversy regarding KK is past comments on “budget tackle” being inferior vs comments on KK now particularly by the mods. Anyone who reads any other forums knows how much of a beating Glenn and his crew take over their big change of heart over budget tackle since KK became a sponsor here so no use of pointing it out here. This post will probably get me banned but if not I’ll never click on a other KK thread again. 

 

The membership and wealth of info is awesome here, but when a mod has the mindset to use a word like suppression, I think BR might need to step back back and re evaluate itself. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Boogey Man said:

Anyone who reads any other forums knows how much of a beating Glenn and his crew take over their big change of heart over budget tackle since KK became a sponsor here so no use of pointing it out here.

Oh, please do point out where I said anything bad about "budget tackle" and then made a "big change of heart".

 

I'm waiting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GrumpyOlPhartte said:

So, after this rambling discourse I guess my feeling is that each of us has to read, evaluate the reviews, and make a decision based upon what we read (or hear) and decide what information will drive our decision. For me, customer service is extremely important and, for me personally, KK fails in that area.  I realize others speak glowingly of the company, but ultimately I have to go with my experience. Over the years I’ve slowly acquired a list of vendors with I’ve whom I’ve had positive experience - even if their products aren’t the “best”. Service and support trumps product for me. But that’s just me. 

 

I bought a KastKing reel last September. I used it through to the Spring and it started having an issue with the drag not staying tight and the cast control knob coming loose. I sent KastKing an e-mail via their repair/warranty form and got one back the next day telling me to call a number. I called the number, talked to a guy and told him what was going on and he promptly sent me a shipping label at no cost to me. I boxed up my reel and had a brand new one at no cost to me within three days.

 

It was the only reel I had ever bought from them and I have no credentials or status to influence in the fishing world, so I strongly doubt I was getting preferential service.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Boogey Man, I'm not following your offense to me using the word suppression in my comment. Can you explain? I'm willing to figure out what you think I'm doing wrong here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×