The Kangler

Avid X with leader?

Hey guys.  I’m thinking about picking up a St Croix Avid X 7’4” HF for Heavy jigs, Frogs, and small swimbaits.  However, I want to run braid with a leader and I’m concerned about the knot passing through the guides when flipping.   Anyone tried braid and leader on an Avid X?

I have an avid x 6'6 Mh-f casting rod and I use a leader but only outside the guides. For pitching or flipping it's still about 4ft of leader. Good enough for my needs. Never tried longer on that rod afraid to cause a serious backlash, my knot tying skills are not that great to make the fg knot. 

I have a 610 LTB spinning which i think has the micro guides. I have I believe a double uni connecting a flouro leader from braid and I was casting it tonight. You can definitely feel and hear the leader pass through, and its bothering me so I may go straight FC, or at least 40-50 yards of it.

I have the 7'4 and with heavy braid and fluoro, a leader going through the guides is not a good idea.

17 hours ago, The Kangler said:

So how long is your leader if it doesn’t go through the guides?

4ft

How short of a leader can you go if your casting a Swimbait or jig?  Is 8” even enough to bother?

If you are fishing really clear water then I would use a leader. If you are fishing stained to muddy water, I don't think it matters as much. 

8" leader I would not bother with. 3+ feet of leader if the water has at least 3+ feet of visibility. 

I have a 7’ medium fast avid x with braid and a Fluro leader tied with the fg knot and it works like a charm 

On 5/18/2018 at 10:06 PM, The Kangler said:

Interesting. What size braid/leader?

30 lbs braid 10lbs leader