BothDays

Virginia Pond Bass

Hey guys,

I recently have been lighting up the bass on topwater in Virginia. I found a new pond that is absolute fire for topwater and spinnerbaits. Wen't out a few times last week and nailed them. I put a short video together of the first time out and will tag that below. I'm new to the forum so if this is frowned upon just let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PvtMXjVgBE

• Like 2

The first fish in the video is a Northern Snakehead.  I believe you're required to report that to the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries at 804-367-2925 or using the online reporting form at the VDGIF website.  

Great bass in the rest of the video though!

6 minutes ago, RSmall said:

The first fish in the video is a Northern Snakehead.  I believe you're required to report that to the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries at 804-367-2925 or using the online reporting form at the VDGIF website.  

Great bass in the rest of the video though!

Thanks for that.   Crazy....I had no idea....In fact, I suspected your info was old, so I looked it up, and you're indeed, correct.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/snakehead/

I don't imagine they want reports of those caught on tidal waters -- no way they'd keep up.  I've never reported one, but caught more than I can remember

• Like 1

I saw on the news that someone caught a Snakehead at Swift Creek Reservoir the other week and they had 3 boats from game and fish shocking up fish last week. They didn't find any but they must take it pretty seriously when someone reports catching one. 

Welcome aboard!

3 hours ago, LonnieP said:

I saw on the news that someone caught a Snakehead at Swift Creek Reservoir the other week and they had 3 boats from game and fish shocking up fish last week. They didn't find any but they must take it pretty seriously when someone reports catching one. 

Apparently seriously enough that DGIF was using gas powered engines on a body of water that is, by law, limited to electric motors only.  

At least they didn't find anymore Snakeheads.

• Like 1

Pond fishing is a lot of fun.

What I have found is that very few ponds are under good pond management, meaning the small bass are not harvested causing the entire population to remain on the small size.

As an example, the pond by the Stony Point medical complex that is adjacent to the office building to your left had many small bass that were fun to catch.  One day I nailed the big one, with her going about 3 and a half pounds.

Never caught her again and do not go to that pond as the last two times out produced no bites.

The spawn is starting to wind down and the bass are eating to make up for lost time.

Good time to fish before the water heats up and causes the bass to go deep.

Everyone have fun!

Thaks for the replies everyone.  Just to be clear, the snakehead was not caught the same day this video took place, but its part of my intro to the video.  I hope there are no snakehead in the pond i was in, and suspect there arent.

But that brings up a good point tho, where i usually catch the snakeheads, i dont report them if i let them back in the water.  The area i fish has been known to have snakehead for many years, so i doubt it will give DGIF any useful information.  You're saying they request i report them even if i let them back in the area i catch them at?

1 hour ago, BothDays said:

Thaks for the replies everyone.  Just to be clear, the snakehead was not caught the same day this video took place, but its part of my intro to the video.  I hope there are no snakehead in the pond i was in, and suspect there arent.

But that brings up a good point tho, where i usually catch the snakeheads, i dont report them if i let them back in the water.  The area i fish has been known to have snakehead for many years, so i doubt it will give DGIF any useful information.  You're saying they request i report them even if i let them back in the area i catch them at?

I went and checked the actual Virginia regulations.

If somebody decides to keep a Snakehead, they are required to kill it immediately and required to report it to DGIF.

If the person does not intend to keep the Snakehead, it should be released immediately and DGIF "requests" that it be reported.  

I was told that the snakehead is a tasty fish.

I don't eat freshwater fish, other than pond raised and of course, crawfish, so I really have no idea.

I do know that snakeheads are bloody so if you kill them do so over the water and not in your boat.

• Like 1