Jump to content
CristianB27

Need Help Very Frustrated...

Recommended Posts

Okay so here it goes, I have fished saltwater my whole life, i got into freshwater fishing exactly 1 year and 4 months ago. Since then in the past year and 4 months ive caught 3 bass under one pound. Ive been going to mainly the same lake for weeks, months fishing for over 4 hours each visit. I have visited numerous lakes around me and i havent caught anything so thats why ive been mainly going to the same lake. Ive seen people catch big bass at the lake i go to ive seen them swim around. Almost all the lakes i love by here in Jersey are all murky so my whole setups consits of murky water water bait colors. Ive tried just about every jig, spinner baits, crankbaits (mind you i am fishing the right baits for the right temprature of water with no results) I have gotten bites but nothing massive. Im out of ideas and i just want to catch fish. I made this account today after spending my day from 8am to 5pm fishing around the whole lake using different baits with not a single bite. I dont know why i keep going but im not stopping until i catch a fish. I only have one rod since i did just get into the hobby. Is there any rigs that i could just cast and let the bait sit there and wait for bite? Because casting and reeling is not working many anglers over here are casting and and just chilling and catching big bass. (Also ive probably watched a crap ton of videos on how to fish each and every bait properly and had an entire year of practice and still no results. Please help me what can i do to getting some life at the end of my line!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like a complicated scenario.

Have you looked to see what people catching the large bass are catching them on? I assume they are catching then in the same are you are? If they're on a boat halfway across the lake, that's fairly meaningless.

 

It seems you are using the right kind of lures from your description.

 

You could try fishing soft plastics, jigs and Carolina rigs (use a mono leader for your Carolina rig so it will float), which are generally fished slower. If others are catching fish on slower presentations, maybe that's the fish's mood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll see if I can help. When I first started bass fishing, I would go months without catching any. Since then, I've started finesse fishing more, slowing down, etc. and I can catch around 1 per week. I would definitely try the ned rig if I were you, (get the real thing, it's much better than a senko and jig head or something) it's really easy to fish, and works when nothing else will. However, if you want to just sit still without retrieving a lure the whole time, I would use some kind of bait. Live bait, lunch meat, nightcrawlers, anything like that. Also, if you see someone fishing there you should ask them if they've caught any, what lures work, etc. Hope that helps.

 

Edit: Here's the link to the ned rigs: https://www.amazon.com/Ned-Rig-Kit-Finesse-Shroomz/dp/B01AYMNIT8 You can get them from pretty much any tackle shop, or online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're looking for a "do nothing" technique, I'd lean toward weightless senkos, ned rig or a drop shot.  They only require you to cast them out, twitch your rod tip, and manage slack.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rtwvumtneer6 said:

If you're looking for a "do nothing" technique, I'd lean toward weightless senkos, ned rig or a drop shot.  They only require you to cast them out, twitch your rod tip, and manage slack.  

I didn't suggest the drop shot or Ned rig because I saw muddier water, although you can definitely try finesse techniques as well.

 

I tend to lean towards finesse as my preferred way of fishing soft plastics personally. Seems to be more effective up north.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rtwvumtneer6 said:

If you're looking for a "do nothing" technique, I'd lean toward weightless senkos, ned rig or a drop shot.  They only require you to cast them out, twitch your rod tip, and manage slack.  

I would second senkos as long as they're wacky rigged with a circle hook. They're perfect for a beginner that way. No need to set the hook, and they're rarely gut hooked. Just keep the line tight and they'll hook themselves. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

This seems like a complicated scenario.

Have you looked to see what people catching the large bass are catching them on? I assume they are catching then in the same are you are? If they're on a boat halfway across the lake, that's fairly meaningless.

 

It seems you are using the right kind of lures from your description.

 

You could try fishing soft plastics, jigs and Carolina rigs (use a mono leader for your Carolina rig so it will float), which are generally fished slower. If others are catching fish on slower presentations, maybe that's the fish's mood.

No boats here everyone fishes from the shore at this lake idk if that makes a difference with your response but thanks anyways!

17 minutes ago, EGbassing said:

I'll see if I can help. When I first started bass fishing, I would go months without catching any. Since then, I've started finesse fishing more, slowing down, etc. and I can catch around 1 per week. I would definitely try the ned rig if I were you, (get the real thing, it's much better than a senko and jig head or something) it's really easy to fish, and works when nothing else will. However, if you want to just sit still without retrieving a lure the whole time, I would use some kind of bait. Live bait, lunch meat, nightcrawlers, anything like that. Also, if you see someone fishing there you should ask them if they've caught any, what lures work, etc. Hope that helps.

 

Edit: Here's the link to the ned rigs: https://www.amazon.com/Ned-Rig-Kit-Finesse-Shroomz/dp/B01AYMNIT8 You can get them from pretty much any tackle shop, or online.

I have asked around before this guy caught like 6 bass in 20 minutes using chicken he just sat there and they were biting like savage animals. Idk what piece of chicken he was using or his rig all i saw was a bobber didnt see what hooks he was using and he was casting out in like the middle of the lake nearing the deeper side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CristianB27 said:

No boats here everyone fishes from the shore at this lake idk if that makes a difference with your response but thanks anyways!

I figured as much, but if everyone is catching them on a more vertical presentation, then I would try that. It's probably hotter there, so daytime bass are less likely to chase a moving bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CristianB27 said:

No boats here everyone fishes from the shore at this lake idk if that makes a difference with your response but thanks anyways!

I have asked around before this guy caught like 6 bass in 20 minutes using chicken he just sat there and they were biting like savage animals. Idk what piece of chicken he was using or his rig all i saw was a bobber didnt see what hooks he was using and he was casting out in like the middle of the lake nearing the deeper side.

I'd definitely try chicken if I were you. An ideal rig would be a weighted bobber, a circle hook tied on with a palomar or clinch knot, and a piece of chicken on the circle hook. Trust me, the circle hooks are perfect for you, you don't have to set the hook, just keep the line tight and they'll hook themselves. They also very rarely swallow circle hooks due to the design of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EGbassing said:

I'd definitely try chicken if I were you. An ideal rig would be a weighted bobber, a circle hook tied on with a palomar or clinch knot, and a piece of chicken on the circle hook. Trust me, the circle hooks are perfect for you, you don't have to set the hook, just keep the line tight and they'll hook themselves. They also very rarely swallow circle hooks due to the design of them.

Okay what kinds of chicken should i use? Like raw chicken, or something that can stain the water like a bloody chicken liver? And how much line should i have from the bobber to the hook? Also exactly what kind of bobber because ive seen many different shapes and sizes that are used for different situations (this is a slow lake not much movement) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CristianB27 said:

Okay what kinds of chicken should i use? Like raw chicken, or something that can stain the water like a bloody chicken liver? And how much line should i have from the bobber to the hook? Also exactly what kind of bobber because ive seen many different shapes and sizes that are used for different situations (this is a slow lake not much movement) 

I would try the same cooked chicken that you would eat for dinner. It should work, but if it doesn't, you could try some other kind. And how deep is the pond? You generally want the bait to be in the middle of the water column, so if it's 6 feet deep where you're fishing, I would try around 3 - 4 feet of line. And this is the type of bobber I use 90% of the time: https://www.amazon.com/Thill-FishN-Foam-Cigar-Floats/dp/B003OAOB7Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1527204637&sr=8-7&keywords=bobber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch,  that’s though man.

 

Sometimes,  when all else fails,  throw something you think will never work. Worked for me lots of times when the bite is slow,  like Bubblegum senko, topwater at ice-out, drastic downsize or upsize.  

 

You can consider large shiners,  they can be phenomenal,  but if you don’t aerate them or get them acclimated to the water temp they can be a huge pain as well.. don’t use them if it’s really hot out.

 

i might also just try a new location.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this case I am going to assume you have your salt setups.  Grab one of those and some of your salt top water baits and put in an hour or two right before and after dark.  If you have big fish in the pond it may turn into quite the exciting time.  I am guessing you stripper fished so ifar I am way off then I apologize ahead of time.

https://m.youtube.com/user/KeepinItReelFishing

 

This guy is in your state and may have some info you find useful.  He is technical and explains in a lot of detail how he is fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boomstick said:

I didn't suggest the drop shot or Ned rig because I saw muddier water, although you can definitely try finesse techniques as well.

 

I tend to lean towards finesse as my preferred way of fishing soft plastics personally. Seems to be more effective up north.

That's all I have here, is muddy or murky water, until I drive about 350+ miles north to hit new braunfels region. Dropshot works fine. Ned rig.... eh, yeah I don't recommend that either. I've gotten 1-2 on it but I think it was pure luck. One was a catfish.

 

I agree with the topwater comment... I've had luck in pressured water using topwaters, especially a whopper plopper. I have a a 90, but I'd so go 110 if your gear can throw it. I finally got a rod that can throw that, so I'll be experimenting with a 110 soon as I can buy one. Also, crankbaits. They aren't really "do nothing" and require some technique, but can be effective. I'm 2-2 for this season so far for catfish and bass using cranks. I'm starting to really like them and I throw them every time I go out. Only took me a solid year to learn how to make them work though lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried asking any of the guys you've seen catching fish if they would mind if you tagged along? Offer to pay for gas if they're in a boat, explain you're trying to learn and noticed they seem to know what they're doing (inflating a fisherman's ego will usually get you somewhere). 

 

I learn a lot to this day from watching what the other guys in my boat are doing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes 1 year, 7 months before you figure it all out and catch huge fish every time out. 

Seriously though, If others are catching fish when you are not, that indicates that something you are doing (or not doing) is most likely the cause. I catch a lot of fish in NJ in dingy water with a spinnerbait and t-rig plastics. There are a bunch of good places to catch bass in NJ. Stay at it and keep it simple and develop confidence in a couple of lures before expanding.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd try to find a creek to wade and get away from the crowd to catch some smallies if it were me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Angry John said:

In this case I am going to assume you have your salt setups.  Grab one of those and some of your salt top water baits and put in an hour or two right before and after dark.  If you have big fish in the pond it may turn into quite the exciting time.  I am guessing you stripper fished so ifar I am way off then I apologize ahead of time.

https://m.youtube.com/user/KeepinItReelFishing

 

This guy is in your state and may have some info you find useful.  He is technical and explains in a lot of detail how he is fishing.

Im using an Abu Garcia Vengence rod 6’9”  Medium Heavy with an Abu Garcia Ultra Max bait caster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would rather catch nothing then use chicken, or live bait.  For me the whole game is, can you make this piece of plastic look live enough for a bass to hit.  The casting, and perfect placement is also an important part of it.  If I am clicking on all cylinders, and the equipment is working well, I feel good, regardless of what I catch.  Its just nice to be out there with mother nature.

 

I will say one tip, if the bite is tough, SLOW DOWN.  Put a june bug U-Vibe and crawl and stop along the bottom.  This works for me during those hard days.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try a Whopper Plopper 90 in the morning and evening. I picked up my first one a week ago, and the bass have been all over it in the morning. Haven’t caught any giants on it, but it’s a lot of fun to use. It’s almost like clockwork—find a school of shad, cast into it, catch fish, rinse/repeat.

 

I’ve also been having tremendous success on a standard t-rigged black/blue or junebug Yum Dinger.

 

I’ve probably caught 30 fish in the past week using a combination of the two baits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, geo g said:

I would rather catch nothing then use chicken, or live bait.  For me the whole game is, can you make this piece of plastic look live enough for a bass to hit.  The casting, and perfect placement is also an important part of it.  If I am clicking on all cylinders, and the equipment is working well, I feel good, regardless of what I catch.  Its just nice to be out there with mother nature.

 

I will say one tip, if the bite is tough, SLOW DOWN.  Put a june bug U-Vibe and crawl and stop along the bottom.  This works for me during those hard days.

Slowing down was the most important thing for me to learn. Taking my time. Spending all day with 1 rod and bait till I learn it. Today I pulled 5 lunkers on rage tails....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very new also.  This is the stuff that I remind myself every time I go out.  Here is what I have learned from watching tons of videos, practicing every chance I get, and reading bassresource.com every day:

 

1.  Slow down.  

2.  Fish according to the season (bass season, not human season I.E. pre-spawn, spawn, post-spawn). 

3.  Slow down.

4.  Fish according to the water temp (NOT air temp).  

5.  Slow down. 

6.  Fish where the fish are (find topo maps, learn what structure is important, watch the birds, get polarized glasses and look for baitfish, etc).

7. Slow down.

8.  Fish the weather. (Bright sun means bass are in different places depending on the water temp, cloudy changes things too).

9.  Slow down.

10.  Read this forum.  There are some guys on here that are absolute experts at bass fishing.  Just amazing.  Visit this forum every day for two weeks and you will have picked them out.  Listen to them.  And watch Glenn's videos!

 

I had two hours free this morning so I hurried to a small lake I have only fished one other time in my life.  Shore fishing and I caught this one.  Not a lunker but I consider this a success.  I missed a bigger one because I couldn't tell the difference between a snag and a bite while fishing a wacky Senko.  She was literally five feet away from me next to a partially submerged log.  I actually WATCHED HER SPIT MY SENKO OUT!  But I learned something.  I still regularly miss fish but I don't get skunked much anymore.  Slowly building.  Slowly learning.  Slowly fishing.  

 

 

IMG_0404.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BigAngus752 said:

I am very new also.  This is the stuff that I remind myself every time I go out.  Here is what I have learned from watching tons of videos, practicing every chance I get, and reading bassresource.com every day:

 

1.  Slow down.  

2.  Fish according to the season (bass season, not human season I.E. pre-spawn, spawn, post-spawn). 

3.  Slow down.

4.  Fish according to the water temp (NOT air temp).  

5.  Slow down. 

6.  Fish where the fish are (find topo maps, learn what structure is important, watch the birds, get polarized glasses and look for baitfish, etc).

7. Slow down.

8.  Fish the weather. (Bright sun means bass are in different places depending on the water temp, cloudy changes things too). 

9.  Slow down.

10.  Read this forum.  There are some guys on here that are absolute experts at bass fishing.  Just amazing.  Visit this forum every day for two weeks and you will have picked them out.  Listen to them.  And watch Glenn's videos!

 

I had two hours free this morning so I hurried to a small lake I have only fished one other time in my life.  Shore fishing and I caught this one.  Not a lunker but I consider this a success.  I missed a bigger one because I couldn't tell the difference between a snag and a bite while fishing a wacky Senko.  She was literally five feet away from me next to a partially submerged log.  I actually WATCHED HER SPIT MY SENKO OUT!  But I learned something.  I still regularly miss fish but I don't get skunked much anymore.  Slowly building.  Slowly learning.  Slowly fishing.  

 

 

 

@BigAngus752 "Fish the weather. (Bright sun means bass are in different places depending on the water temp, cloudy changes things too)." Hey, would you mind expanding on this, i.e. Sunny vs. cloudy? Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eric J said:

Slowing down was the most important thing for me to learn. Taking my time. Spending all day with 1 rod and bait till I learn it. Today I pulled 5 lunkers on rage tails....

 

That's the way to do it.  If you want to learn a bait, go out with that and nothing else.  Soon you will become an expert!

59 minutes ago, Kjruiz said:

@BigAngus752 "Fish the weather. (Bright sun means bass are in different places depending on the water temp, cloudy changes things too)." Hey, would you mind expanding on this, i.e. Sunny vs. cloudy? Thanks!

 

Next time the conditions are the same, go back to that log, she may be waiting for you!!!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kjruiz said:

@BigAngus752 "Fish the weather. (Bright sun means bass are in different places depending on the water temp, cloudy changes things too)." Hey, would you mind expanding on this, i.e. Sunny vs. cloudy? Thanks!

Oh man, I wouldn't presume to have the experience to do this question justice.  Hopefully some of the experts will chime in.  Do some keyword searches too.  An oversimplification:  Bright sun in the spring with cold water temps can bring the bass up into the shallows chasing bait fish.  Bright sun in the dog days of summer when water temps are high will push them deep into cooler water.  Bright sun can make them skittish because they can see above them better and it can push them under docks and under overhanging trees where it's shady.  Cloudy skies and choppy water can turn on the topwater bite like magic.  

 

I can tell you I've learned this for sure:  All the tackle retailers want you to believe that the next latest and greatest lure will catch you all the fish you want.  In my inexperienced opinion, if you've thrown your whole tacklebox at the lake and caught nothing then you are either fishing your tackle incorrectly (probably way too fast) or you need to look at the season, the weather, the water temp, and a topo map.  Not at more lures.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fish

    bass fish

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×