papajoe222

How's Your Pre-Season Plan Working Out?

Qualified for both FLW and BASS college national championships this season, that was my main priority!

I have also been working on my offshore fishing skills, my decision making, and time management on the water. This season I made a last minute cull at Pickwick lake on an offshore spot that had not given up a big fish but had the ingredients to, and that fish was part of a 21lb bag :checkitout:

• Like 3

Plan? I take what the season gives me. 

I have not planned on struggling so bad the last few weeks, but my lake and mother nature had other ideas, with the low clear water, almost non-existent milfoil growth, terrible slime/moss bloom, super late ice out, water temps that shot up, then go down, then shoot up, and are generally about as unstable as I have ever seen, and the bulk of the fish suspending over the deep basin of the lake all day long.

I did not have a good early spring with a jerkbait, lipless crank, or blade bait liked I "planned" to. And save for the fish that were in the swamps and backwaters early, have not had success with almost anything I do. I had one day that was an all-timer about a month ago, but it's been very very lean since.

I guess my best plans are/were: #1 not to break anything expensive to fix/replace yet,#2 not to fall in the lake, and #3 not go broke buying tackle..................... #1, and #2 have been met, so far, but it's early. I am struggling with #3.

I am pleased with how the season has gone.  Trip to St Clair was epic, the weather cooperated and we caught 50-75 fish a day and got on a silly Walleye bite every day that kept us well fed while there.  The Potomac has been a mess with all the rain but has given up some good bags of fish and the grass is coming in strong.  Overall, no complaints and I may be a little bit of an oddball because I always do better in the dog days of summer.  Getting ready for my next trip (to Wisconsin) in August to a chain of lakes that are always fun to fish.  Downside is that it's time to shell out some $$ on the boat.  I'm due for TM batteries (3) and a set of tires on my dual axle trailer.  That's gonna hurt!!  

Great.

Caught a new PB. 

Learning the baitcaster. 

Catching fish with new methods too.

Like spinnerbaits, jigs, and chatterbaits. 

So far so good. 

Told myself I would work on fishing jigs. I have never had much luck on them until that's all I've been using. Currently at the top of my confidence baits now. 

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

• Like 1