Jump to content
hawgwash

Advice on baitcasting for the first time

Recommended Posts

 I decided to try baitcasting for the first time. So I bought myself a Pflueger president XT low profile baitcaster and I'm going to match it with a Berkley Cherrywood casting rod. I'm just looking for any links to some how to videos or articles on how to tune and set up a baitcaster.

 

Thanks in advance for your help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A-Jay

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set the spool tensioner knob and the braking control dial to where, when you press the spool release button for casting, your bait falls at a medium rate and the spool stops when the bait hits the ground. Have your rod at about the 11 o'clock position when you do this. When casting use your thumb to control the spool slightly to reduce backlash. As you get better you can lessen the tension on the spool and back off the brake to get further casts. Throughout all your learning process always remember to educate your thumb on controlling the spool to reduce backlash. 😎

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set the drag tight when you're spooling it

 

For the cheap mono I would recommend either Trilene XL or XT, very good line to learn on.

 

Practice thumbing the spool when you cast and make sure you get that down, pretty tricky

 

Make sure you set the breaks high, minimizes backlashes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the video and the tips guys. Got a spool of Berkley vanish I was wondering if maybe that would work?   I mean for practicing.

 

The president XT casting reel is only right handed so that's going to take some getting used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Burros said:

Buy some cheap mono and practice.

What he said ..... 12-15 lb test to start.  It's easier to pick out backlashes.

 

Don't worry about catching fish at first.  A smooth arc is key to distance and accuracy.  Lastly: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.....   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sv technology really helps beginners.  It's a great way to reduce fustration.  Start with your braking high and back off slowly.  Your distance will suck but way better than spending the first few days picking out birdsnests.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cheap mono 

pair of scissors

and alot of practice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Work on your casting being 1 fluid motion. Not snappy like a spinning rod. If you have ever played golf, it's like trying to hit a drive, you don't have to swing hard to get it to go far. Mechanics and timing are key

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you get proficient, you’ll let the line slip a “little” under your thumb when you begin the casting motion. Then feather the line as it nears landing too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the tips. Reel and rod arrive tomorrow so I'll start practicing with all your suggestions.

 

Bass Resource Rocks! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hawgwash said:

Thanks for all the tips. Reel and rod arrive tomorrow so I'll start practicing with all your suggestions.

 

Bass Resource Rocks! :)

Make sure and report back your results. Both good and/or bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a backlash happens, you should almost always be able to untangle it - don't necessarily reach for the scissors right away. One of the most important things to remember is to not pull hard on the line to untangle it. This will ONLY tighten the mess and probably weaken the line.

 

The process that works for me - I've had to cut line off a spool only once, and that was before I got the hang of this:

 

1. set the drag somewhat tight but not super tight

 

2. grab a random few strands of line at the top of the spool and loosen them up, pull them up a bit

3. press the thumb bar to go into free spool

4. while pressing your thumb gently on the spool so it doesn't backlash again, pull on the line coming out of the eyelet, until it says it's not going to give anymore - but don't pull harder at this point; you'll just tighten the mess

5. turn the handle to pop the thumb bar back up

 

...then repeat 2 through 5 until the mess comes out and all the line on the spool is wound tight. Even with the mess pulled out, you may find a loose loop on the spool that you just can't get to. You may pull out a lot of line to get to this, but keep going, you'll get to it.

 

An alternative to chasing down the loose loop on the spool is (again once you've already untangled the mess) to just make a long cast downwind, to let the loose bit off the spool, and just reel back in.

 

I'll try to make a video of the above; it's much simpler than it may seem. In the meantime there should be some videos on youtube on how to untangle the mess.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2 pieces of advise

Keep the brakes on the tight side and loosen with time, while your thumb learns.

Google removing birdsnest and watch a couple videos. I tried the one you pull out what line you can then put your thumb on spool with pressure and turn handle couple times then pull line out again. Repeat if necessary, supper quick, simple and no digging and picking.

 

Good luck!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn off all brakes and open tension knob wide open.  Tie a 1 oz weight on your line.  **** it, lock it, and cast it as hard as you can.  You're welcome.

 

 

 

 

*notice....do not do any of the above*

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, now I have to decide if I want the right hand model or the left hand model. I just came across their Supreme XT, which comes in a left hand model. Of course it cost a little more, but then it's probably a better reel.

 

I'm just wondering if I should opt for the Supreme XT, because I'm so used to reeling with my left hand. I guess I'll see how it goes today when the reel and rod arrive.

 

Decisions, decisions.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:37 PM, hawgwash said:

Thanks for the video and the tips guys. Got a spool of Berkley vanish I was wondering if maybe that would work?   I mean for practicing.

 

The president XT casting reel is only right handed so that's going to take some getting used to.

NO!

 

Vanish is not a good line for learning baitcasting, or anything else for that matter. Try Trilene XL, XT or Big Game instead. 12# or higher.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYWayfarer said:

NO!

 

Vanish is not a good line for learning baitcasting, or anything else for that matter. Try Trilene XL, XT or Big Game instead. 12# or higher.

 

Ok, thanks :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are right handed, you will most likely be more comfortable with a right hand retrieve reel.

When casting , turn the handle up, cast with it "on top" so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rahlow said:

If you are right handed, you will most likely be more comfortable with a right hand retrieve reel.

When casting , turn the handle up, cast with it "on top" so to speak.

 

You're suppose to fish with a baitcaster upright anyway. At least that's how I've always seen them used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will backlash and when that happens a crochet needle is what I found to be the best tool to use.

They are cheap and have a rounded point so it wont dig between braid and some have a pointed end.

 

Can be found in the craft section of Walmart or stores like Joanne Fabrics or Michael's and of course online.

 

image.png.db60837073a064f1e13cec0692afc131.png

 

https://www.amazon.com/Susan-Bates-Silvalume-Handi-Tool/dp/B00FUN2KQE

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rahlow said:

If you are right handed, you will most likely be more comfortable with a right hand retrieve reel.

When casting , turn the handle up, cast with it "on top" so to speak.

Have to disagree with this.  I am right handed.  I prefer to handle the rod in my dominant hand.  I'd be surprised if the majority didn't feel the same way.  However, it is not hard to crank with either hand for most.  BUT....casting with either hand isn't quite so easy.  At least for me.  Side arm roll casts equal no problem.  Overhead casts are a little more awkward for me.  Of course my rather advanced age may have something to do with my disability learning the overhead cast with the left hand.  Accuracy suffers.

 

OP:  I've not used the President or the Supreme XT.  I do own Pflueger reels on both sides of those prices.  AFAIC Pflueger casting reels don't get the respect they deserve.  A fellow member (smalljaw67) liked his first Supreme XT enough to go buy a second.  This gentleman has used much more costly reels.  His advice has always served me well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, new2BC4bass said:

Have to disagree with this.  I am right handed.  I prefer to handle the rod in my dominant hand.  I'd be surprised if the majority didn't feel the same way.  However, it is not hard to crank with either hand for most.  BUT....casting with either hand isn't quite so easy.  At least for me.  Side arm roll casts equal no problem.  Overhead casts are a little more awkward for me.  Of course my rather advanced age may have something to do with my disability learning the overhead cast with the left hand.  Accuracy suffers.

 

OP:  I've not used the President or the Supreme XT.  I do own Pflueger reels on both sides of those prices.  AFAIC Pflueger casting reels don't get the respect they deserve.  A fellow member (smalljaw67) liked his first Supreme XT enough to go buy a second.  This gentleman has used much more costly reels.  His advice has always served me well. 

I find it more comfortable to handle the cast with my ,right hand, switch rod to left and reel with my right, everyone I know does it this way, so to each his own I guess.

9 hours ago, hawgwash said:

 

You're suppose to fish with a baitcaster upright anyway. At least that's how I've always seen them used.

I didn’t get that advice or “ trick” when I started so that’s why I mentioned it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fish

    bass fish

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×