Matt_3479

G. Loomis 853/854 vs 893/894

Just curious as to why go one route over the other? Mostly curious as to why the longer 7’5” rod seems to be more popular. I’m always seeing people recommend 893/894 if you were to get just one high end rod. I’m right on the edge of grabbing either the 853/854 or one of the 893/894 just have to decide between those 4. I was thinking of going more the 4 power as it’s more universal from what I’ve been told and I found a used 803 that might be able to grab for super cheap to cover the 3 power 

People are just using longer rods in general these days, but for all around 7'-7'3" is what I would choose.  I'd go with the 873 Crig rod if you are wanting something for mainly 3/8-1/2 with occasional 1/4oz....it is similar to a croix MH.  Even works well for frogs. 853/893 if you are mainly going lighter...

Unfortunately I think it’s just those 4 options I have, I am able to get a good deal on those 4 models and I’ll have to take a look to see if it extends to anything else. 

What are you going to use the rod for? The 893 and 894 are by far the most popular in the series. I've heard mixed reviews about the shorter 853/854. There is a difference in power between the 85x and 89x too.

For me personally, I'm a tournament angler who fishes as a co-angler 90% of the time. So I often have to deal with power poles, motors, consoles, fish finders, etc. all being in my way when trying to flip/pitch from the back of the boat. So because of that, I do prefer the shorter 853/854. 

I do own a Megabass Orochi EMTF which is a 7'5" rod like the 893/4 and I have used it from the front deck. And I must say, that extra length sure is nice when flipping jigs around cover.

7 hours ago, Yudo1 said:

What are you going to use the rod for? The 893 and 894 are by far the most popular in the series. I've heard mixed reviews about the shorter 853/854. There is a difference in power between the 85x and 89x too.

I currently have a 7’6” heavy extra fast flipping stick and a 7’ medium heavy fast kistler helium. The helium just seems a little light when throwing jigs and such. Good rod, an older helium but still good. I just got the bug mostly for higher end equipment. I love throwing smaller paddletails, swim jigs, 3/8-1/2 jigs with trailers, finesse jigs, 1/2 football head jigs, t-rigs and such. I’d probably try chatterbaits on them as well. 

Like I said I’m mostly interested in just getting a high end rod. I figured the kistler I could keep for closer quarters, and the flipping stick for super heavy or thick cover. So not sure on the true purpose for the glx or nrx that I’d be lookin at

I would go with the 4 power.  My absolute favorite is the 894 NRX.  If your fishing 1/2 oz. potentially, or in moderate cover, this is the rod you will want.  For open water applications, and 3/8 oz. weight and under, the 893 will be great though.  I like the 7'5" length for easier pitching, but that is just my personal preference.  I think the 893 is a tiny bit more sensitive than the others, but it really doesn't have that much power if your fishing in cover.  I also have the 873 and 854.  The 873 is right in the middle between the 854 and 894 to me.  Great rod, I use that rod for 1/4 oz. and 3/8 oz. texas rigs.  The 854 I use for skipping docks and it is a great for that because it has a slightly softer tip compared to the others.  As far as power I would rate them as such: 853, 893, 854, 873, then 894.  Hope this helps.   

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 3:04 PM, tim_kovar said:

I would go with the 4 power.  My absolute favorite is the 894 NRX.  If your fishing 1/2 oz. potentially, or in moderate cover, this is the rod you will want.  For open water applications, and 3/8 oz. weight and under, the 893 will be great though.  I like the 7'5" length for easier pitching, but that is just my personal preference.  I think the 893 is a tiny bit more sensitive than the others, but it really doesn't have that much power if your fishing in cover.  I also have the 873 and 854.  The 873 is right in the middle between the 854 and 894 to me.  Great rod, I use that rod for 1/4 oz. and 3/8 oz. texas rigs.  The 854 I use for skipping docks and it is a great for that because it has a slightly softer tip compared to the others.  As far as power I would rate them as such: 853, 893, 854, 873, then 894.  Hope this helps.   

Thank you, the way you rated them helps a lot with how I imagine using the rod. 

On 6/14/2018 at 10:13 PM, Yudo1 said:

Get the 894c.

Thank you. I just didn’t want to get the 894c and it being too close to my currently flipping stick that I had two rods the same. Yes I’d like to double down and use it around cover but anything real heavy or thick mats is the reason I have the other stick. I’d like to use it for soft plastics and jigs in open water and around lighter cover like I mentioned and though the 893 might give me the edge in sensitivity and it wouldn’t of been big. Thank you, 

1 hour ago, Matt_3479 said:

Thank you, the way you rated them helps a lot with how I imagine using the rod. 

Thank you. I just didn’t want to get the 894c and it being too close to my currently flipping stick that I had two rods the same. Yes I’d like to double down and use it around cover but anything real heavy or thick mats is the reason I have the other stick. I’d like to use it for soft plastics and jigs in open water and around lighter cover like I mentioned and though the 893 might give me the edge in sensitivity and it wouldn’t of been big. Thank you, 

The 873 or 854 would be a great choices too.

1 hour ago, tim_kovar said:

The 873 or 854 would be a great choices too.

The 873 really peaks my interest but I’m able to get 250-285 off an nrx 894c, and the 853, 854 and I believe the 893 in the glx I can get for a smoking price. So I’m really looking st the 853, 854, 893 possibly 894 in the glx series or just the 894c in the nrx. 

If the 873 was part of that deal I think I’d probably go that route but I can’t pass up on these deals. I’d even consider getting two of the deals but I’ll start with 1 for now