flywall99

Fish being hook in upper jaw near eye?

Yesterday i caught 4 bass and 3 of 4 were hooked pretty good in the upper jaw. 1 was very close to his eye and i felt bad lol. Is it the way im setting the hook? I havent noticed this before yesterday but i was using some worm hooks i picked up at walmart (dont remember the brand). It was the first time i was using those hooks. The bass i caught were small 1 to 2 pounds. I was using a 3/0 offset worm hook on a Zoom U-tail worm texas rigged. Just trying to figure out if im setting the hook weird or the hook was too big for the small bass i was catching? Not sure, any thougts??

3/0 is a fine size, so you might have just caught some bass that were really inhaling your worm.  You can certainly try a smaller hook, but I doubt it's anything specific you did when setting the hook.  

When I get them near the eye like that, I either cut the barb off then pull the hook out, or I cut off the eye of the hook and pull it out by the barb end.. same as you would if you hooked yourself in a place where you couldn't yank it out quickly with braided line. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rejesterd said:

3/0 is a fine size, so you might have just caught some bass that were really inhaling your worm.  You can certainly try a smaller hook, but I doubt it's anything specific you did when setting the hook.  

When I get them near the eye like that, I either cut the barb off then pull the hook out, or I cut off the eye of the hook and pull it out by the barb end.. same as you would if you hooked yourself in a place where you couldn't yank it out quickly with braided line. 

Ok cool. Yeah i wasnt sure, i wasnt doing anything different then i normal except for the hooks i was using but yeah they were smashing the worms. I was fishing a spot that is not heavily fished so that could be it. 

Most of the time it can be attributed to the plastic and the way it's rigged coupled with the way the bass are hitting.  Some days I seem to get a lot of lower jaw hooks and then the next 5 times out, I won't hook another one that way using the same plastic and same hook rigged the same way.  If it continues, go up in size of hook to a 4.0 and try and set the hook sooner.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TOXIC said:

Most of the time it can be attributed to the plastic and the way it's rigged coupled with the way the bass are hitting.  Some days I seem to get a lot of lower jaw hooks and then the next 5 times out, I won't hook another one that way using the same plastic and same hook rigged the same way.  If it continues, go up in size of hook to a 4.0 and try and set the hook sooner.  

Thanks ill try that. Ill be going back to the spot tomorrow morning and ill see if they are getting hooked the same way then. If i catch any that is lol