starkeer

What makes your favorite type of fishing your favorite?

Personally I am all about the bottom contact type of fishing. Not a big fan of just reeling in a reaction bait but to me pitching a jig and getting that ThUnK of a bite cant be beat. So much so it is probably my downfall a good amount of the time. I prefer this type of fishing so much that I will do it even when conditions point to other presentations being more effective. Oh well, its about having fun after all.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:11 PM, A-Jay said:

This is a tough one. 

One look in the rod locker indicates there's a lot of 'favorites.'

While I do like to Chunk & Wind quite a bit, I'll say that my "favorite style of fishing" is putting the pieces together and solving the puzzle.   The excitement comes from the anticipation & expectation of getting bit over & over.

:smiley:

A-Jay

That answers it for me quite well, also.

I generally need a 'style' that has me 'actively' working the lure, however.  Sure, getting on a school and dropping a DS or shaky into them is fun when they're biting...but it doesn't completely do it for me.  (I acknowledge that part of the reason is psychological -- I still lack some confidence in getting onto active fish -- so, in my mind lures that aren't moving might be 20 feet from the nearest interested bass.)

Same for fishing other species -- couple of weeks ago on a walleye trip, we stumbled upon a narrow fish-highway that carried 27 inchers through it every evening -- loved catching nice fish, but anchoring and vertically soaking a leech just wasn't nearly as much fun as trolling and casting for me.

So, chucking and winding....flipping and dragging...that's where I generally find myself

• Like 1

About a couple weeks ago I dedicated myself to throw only jigs, to learn the technique.  After tons of frustration I finally started to see success, and now I'm addicted.  The feeling of setting the hook on a fish who just slurped up your jig is very fun to me.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 9:08 PM, CroakHunter said:

I like pitching Texas rigged craws and creatures. Fast paced, in your face, hand to hand combat. Heavy rods, line, and big hook sets. I used to love to throw wacky rigs and still do at times. But give me a 3/8 to 3/4 ounce weight, some 20Lb fluoro or 65Lb braid, and a 4x strong hook and I'll go to town on some green fish!

Ditto!!

Mike 

Frog is exciting,butttt nothing like sitting down in chair on my boat with Texas rigged bait and a knot of Copenhagen in my jaw, to me that's bass fishing

• Like 1

From the bank or in the boat nothing like early in the morning zinging a t rigged worm at a stump and getting a strike on the fall...thank the Lord for every day...

good fishing...

I do like catching fish about any way possible, but all it takes is 1 good jig bite and I have to MAKE myself put the jig rod down :)

I'm not quite sure if it's the fact that you really don't have to mess with it like you do soft plastics or what, but I just truly enjoy fishing jigs.

Specifically, I like topwater because it's a challenge to get bass to take a lure on top and it's the most exciting bite you can get. But, generally, I like to cast and retrieve, no matter the species. I jut don't like trolling or using a bobber with live bait unless there's just no other way to catch fish. And that's why I prefer bass fishing.

A jig, creature, or worm thrown into the nastiest stuff I can find. There's nothing else like the thump, a hookset hard enough to cross their eyes, and the breaking of wood while getting them out of cover. At night it's even better.