starkeer

What makes your favorite type of fishing your favorite?

It seems like everyone has a favorite bait to use, or style of fishing. For example, I love fishing topwater (duh) because it is thrilling to watch a bass explode on a bait and see the strike up close, but I also love fishing a wacky rig and seeing the line jump, or watching the line move through the water just knowing i'm going to be able to set my hook in to a fish. So my question is what is your favorite style of fishing and what makes it so exciting to you? 

• Like 1

I have loved buzz-baits since the first time i  threw one . This was a top water lure with snag-less qualities . It can be thrown across lay-downs and not hang up . It covered water fast , caught big fish and has a high hookup percentage . Its not my most used or successful lure but one I try most trips from the spawn to early winter .  

• Like 2

I grew up learning to fish with crankbaits and I still love them. I also like Texas rigged soft plastics when the crankbait bite isn't happening.

I love heading to the pond with a Wacky Rig. Big bass are cool, but I love bass fishing because I love to catch bass. So for me, when I'm targeting LMB in ponds, nothing beats the Wacky Rig. Simple and effective. Put it in a spot, wait a second and let it do its slow downward flutter, and then BAM!, you've got yourself a fish over and over and over again. Do nothing? Perhaps. But I don't care. 

I also love wading small, shallow rivers and creeks for SMB using the Ned Rig. Same concept, different setting and species. 

• Like 1

Like most bass fisherman I too love topwaters fishing. Zara Spook and buzzbait being my two favorites.But the plastic worm is my #1 bait. I've caught more fish with them than anything over 35 yrs time. I like the challenge of locating bass, and trying to set up a pattern to catch them.

• Like 1

What's are Bottom feeder?

CATT is 😉

Once the boat comes down off of plane the first thing I grab is a Texas Rig, Wacky Rig, Shaky Head Weightless T-rig, Carolina Rig, Jig-N-Craw, Mojo Rig, Rage Rig, Drop Shot or anything that takes me to the bottom.

I'm gonna be casting, flipping, pitching, punching, hopping, dragging, shaking, dead sticking, or skipping.

I don't care if its grass, brush, timber, rocks, docks, pads, lay downs, shore line or off shore. I don't care if its pre- spawn, spawn, post spawn, summer, dog days, fall, winter, morning, noon, or night.

Give me 2 rod-n-reels with any of the above techniques & I be happy, happy, happy!

• Like 11

I love jigs.  Feeling a solid "thump" or seeing the line slowly move sideways are almost surreal experiences.

A good frog strike is a pretty amazing sight.

A big smallie slamming a spinnerbait is something you won't soon forget.

Too hard to pick 1 favorite.

• Like 1

Currently a Texas rigged jelly worm or lizard.  In my limited experience, Texas rigging soft plastic has been the most consistent fish catching method.  I really enjoy chatter baits and square bills, but just don't produce the same.

I have been trying wacky rigged weightless senkos for the past 2 trips.  I feel like a total goof ball using a weightless stick bait and a hook that looks like it's used for bream, but it is actually a good fish catcher.

7 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

Currently a Texas rigged jelly worm or lizard.  In my limited experience, Texas rigging soft plastic has been the most consistent fish catching method.  I really enjoy chatter baits and square bills, but just don't produce the same.

I have been trying wacky rigged weightless senkos for the past 2 trips.  I feel like a total goof ball using a weightless stick bait and a hook that looks like it's used for bream, but it is actually a good fish catcher.

I've got a buddy who is primarily a crankbait fisherman and who doesn't believe in spinning gear. We went to a stunning, secluded, and loaded pond a little while back. He had no faith in my floppy weightless Senko hooked through the middle on a 1/0 circle hook. After about 30 fish to his 5, he says, "alright, lemme see one of those stupid worms you're using." Shortly thereafter he bought some Dingers, circle hooks, and I sold him one of my spinning setups because I was in the process of upgrading anyways. 🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glaucus said:

I've got a buddy who is primarily a crankbait fisherman and who doesn't believe in spinning gear. We went to a stunning, secluded, and loaded pond a little while back. He had no faith in my floppy weightless Senko hooked through the middle on a 1/0 circle hook. After about 30 fish to his 5, he says, "alright, lemme see one of those stupid worms you're using." Shortly thereafter he bought some Dingers, circle hooks, and I sold him one of my spinning setups because I was in the process of upgrading anyways. 🤣

If it's silly and it works, I guess it ain't silly.  For the life of me I don't understand why it works, I just know it works.

What may surprise you is bass fishing isn't my favorite game fish to fish for, they are the most abundant fresh water game fish close to where I live and challenging to catch giant bass.

My favorite fish is Marlin followed by tuna, both big hard flight salt water game fish. You think a top water strike is impressive, try Marlin fishing.

My favorite fresh water fish are musky on bass tackle, problem for me they are nowhere near where I fish. It's been over 20 years since I have fished for big musky.

So we go to giant largemouth bass and my favorite presentation is using my hair jigs with pork trailers followed by swimbaits. Hooking bass 15 lbs+ on the tackle I use is exciting, when they jump it's heart stopping because they are so rare and take so many hours to hook and have a chance landing. It's been way too long since I have put a 15lb+ giant in the boat.

Tom

• Like 3

I like pitching Texas rigged craws and creatures. Fast paced, in your face, hand to hand combat. Heavy rods, line, and big hook sets. I used to love to throw wacky rigs and still do at times. But give me a 3/8 to 3/4 ounce weight, some 20Lb fluoro or 65Lb braid, and a 4x strong hook and I'll go to town on some green fish!

• Like 3

This is a tough one. 

One look in the rod locker indicates there's a lot of 'favorites.'

While I do like to Chunk & Wind quite a bit, I'll say that my "favorite style of fishing" is putting the pieces together and solving the puzzle.   The excitement comes from the anticipation & expectation of getting bit over & over.

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 6

Sight fishing!  Enough said 😀

• Like 1

Froggin. The anticipation coupled with the blowups are the best. Froggin can be tedious but it pays off, usually with quality fish.

• Like 3

Ned Rig... It catches fish.. period... Its gotten to the point that I gave away all of my other plastics... Just keep stocking up on trds... 

I'm with you on wacky rig (or weightless T-rig). Seeing braid "swim" through the water and make a slight wake, knowing a fish 100% has my bait and I will be able to reel down and set the hook (unless it's a dink in which case I will probably just rip it out of their mouth) is one of my favorite moments in fishing. 

• Like 1

It's easy to just name topwater, which was my first thought.... but the more I think about the question, the more I realize my "favorite" type of fishing is not a type of bait, or presentation at all....my favorite type of fishing is catching.

I like a ‘Trap. Chunking and winding or yo-yoing. Nothing quite like that “clomp” when one thumps it.

I like pitching a T-rigged worm around docks or grass too. 

My favorite way to catch a bass is on a topwater lure but will use whatever technique is necessary to catch the bass I am targeting.

2 hours ago, Arcs&sparks said:

You will have a blast fishing in South Florida since many bodies of water here are very clear, both freshwater and saltwater.

Until the past few weeks, I would have said wacky or weightless Texas rig, but since I've developed confidence with a frog and toad, I have to lean that way. It's a rush to see the water explode and your bait vanish, punish that fish with a hard hookset and crank her in...that's my favorite. When I relocate to central Florida, I'll definitely be tossing these baits more than I already do.

flipping,pitching,casting soft plastics,jigs. that's what gets it for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soflabasser said:

11 hours ago, Arcs&sparks said:

You will have a blast fishing in South Florida since many bodies of water here are very clear, both freshwater and saltwater.

Actually, I think my first experience being able to see the fish eat the bait (besides maybe little sunfish) was in south Florida, on a bridge in the Keys When I was a little kid.  Caught some barracuda looking fish, and got bit off by a hammerhead.  That was super exciting lol. 

Buzz toads, because they seem to garner some of the most violent explosions.  Close 2nd would be cranking for river smallmouth; the way they fight in current is so much fun.

Honorable mention goes to bottom fishing big chunks of cutbait for cats.  Watching your line take off and knowing it's a nice fish while anticipating the hookset is a thrill.

I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this one. Jerk bait fishing is my favorite. Why because it works so well. The idea of presenting an artificial lure to a fish & fooling it into thinking that the bait is real and dying or in distress just makes me smile. 

Sight fishing & topwater are close behind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1