Fuzzy_Face

Need some help with a fish ID.

Looks exactly like the rock bass my son and I couldn't avoid caching while smallmouth fishing on Lake Winnipesaukee a couple weeks ago.

The local fishing community encourages fisherman to kill any rock bass caught. They claim they are displacing the smallmouth population as they compete for the same food sources and decimate smallmouth hatchlings. We heard of tournaments where fisherman catch and kill as many rock bass as they can as an attempt to control their damage.

Sounds like another "invasive species".

4 hours ago, Nitro 882 said:

Looks exactly like the rock bass my son and I couldn't avoid caching while smallmouth fishing on Lake Winnipesaukee a couple weeks ago.

The local fishing community encourages fisherman to kill any rock bass caught. They claim they are displacing the smallmouth population as they compete for the same food sources and decimate smallmouth hatchlings. We heard of tournaments where fisherman catch and kill as many rock bass as they can as an attempt to control their damage.

Sounds like another "invasive species".

Sounds like your local Fishing community is full of bologna to me, smallmouth eat rock bass. They have coexisted for eons, I don’t see any way rock bass could outcompete or displace smallmouth 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, TnRiver46 said:

Sounds like your local Fishing community is full of bologna to me, smallmouth eat rock bass. They have coexisted for eons, I don’t see any way rock bass could outcompete or displace smallmouth 

Do yourself a favor. Google "rock bass in Lake Winnipesaukee". Perhaps you can add to your knowledge base.

• Like 1

Around here everyone calls that a Rock Bass, including MD DNR.  I've also heard it referred to as Red Eye, Goggle Eye, and Warmouth.  I've also seen/heard completely different fish referred to as all of those names.  Sunfish/Panfish have lots of different regional names and nicknames.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:20 PM, TnRiver46 said:

Rock bass are a non-native, invasive up in these parts and haven't 'coexisted for eons' with smallies in these waters.  (It's worth noting that smallmouth are non-native, too... but we like 'em.) . Rock bass are, like most panfish, more fecund than other species like LMB and SMB and I think there's an additional issue here at their spawn/growth cycle competes with the smallmouth spawn in these colder waters... So, it's not that the adult rock bass are out-competing the adult smallmouth.  It's more that the juvenile rock bass are putting a serious dent in the recruitment of juvenile SMB/LMB from their spawn.

As another poster here said, you can google for articles from most of the New England F&W departments on bodies of water in their state where the rockies are taking over.  (Sunapee and Winnipesaukee, among others, in NH, Bomoseen in VT, etc)

I don't know guys, Looks an awful lot like a Green SunfishFishy.thumb.jpg.5b9ddc51906600d242802dc9

_resize_Green+sunfish_+Blackberry+Creek_images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8-zstxRwH3d22GEruLHF446759.jpg?472

15 hours ago, HeavyDluxe said:

Rock bass are a non-native, invasive up in these parts and haven't 'coexisted for eons' with smallies in these waters.  (It's worth noting that smallmouth are non-native, too... but we like 'em.) . Rock bass are, like most panfish, more fecund than other species like LMB and SMB and I think there's an additional issue here at their spawn/growth cycle competes with the smallmouth spawn in these colder waters... So, it's not that the adult rock bass are out-competing the adult smallmouth.  It's more that the juvenile rock bass are putting a serious dent in the recruitment of juvenile SMB/LMB from their spawn.

As another poster here said, you can google for articles from most of the New England F&W departments on bodies of water in their state where the rockies are taking over.  (Sunapee and Winnipesaukee, among others, in NH, Bomoseen in VT, etc)

Interesting, I’ll check that out. Hopefully your waters are just experiencing an initial boom associated with range expansion of a species. Time and frequent fish fry(s) are your only management options 

On 7/19/2018 at 9:21 PM, wisconsin heat said:

I don't know guys, Looks an awful lot like a Green SunfishFishy.thumb.jpg.5b9ddc51906600d242802dc9

_resize_Green+sunfish_+Blackberry+Creek_images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8-zstxRwH3d22GEruLHF446759.jpg?472

I know fish often go by different names in different parts of the country. The OP's fish is missing the tell tale long ear of the fish I know as a green sunfish.  Based on what I can see I'm leaning towards rock bass but the coloration is not typical of the rock bass I see around here so I'm not certain.

Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus)

Other Names

Redeye, Goggle-eye, Red-eyed Bream, Stump Knocker, Mudgapper, Mo-mouth, Morgan, Molly, Rock Bass, Open Mouth, Weed Bass, Wood Bass, Strawberry "perch", Mud Bass, Warmouth Bass.

It's a female Warmouth, coloration has a lot to do with the water they are in.

CAM00153.jpg