Brew City Bass

Installed a new (to me) trolling motor

So I have a 16ft glass bass boat. It's nothing special, it's old, but it's mine. 

When I got it 3 years ago it came with a 12v 55lb OLD minn kota autopilot. The one with the white head. Yeah, it was older than me. 

I was constantly getting blown off spots, burning through the battery by having it on 10 and going basically nowhere if there was any wind. As we all know, trolling motors are expensive so I just made do with what I had. 

Yesterday a like new Maxxum 65lb 24v came up on craigslist for $180 and I jumped on it and bought it. Took all day to rig it up 24v and finally got it good to go. The previous owner had the wiring in the boat all assbackwards and held together with electrical tape. What a nightmare it was redoing all of that, but it was worth it to have solid soldered connections and shrinkwrapped joints. I was super excited to see it was very windy today and had to go test it out. WOAH. This thing PULLS! I had absolutely no idea how big a difference 10lbs and the extra torque 24v would provide. Anything over the 30 setting was way to fast for fishing and it pulled me through the wind and laughed in it's face. If I am not careful it can toss me off the boat. Not to mention the mechanical steering and lift assist is phenomenal. It gave me a good reason to put the batteries up front and it weighted the boat so much better as well. All I can say is, best $180 I ever spent in my life. 

I know it's not the best trolling motor, but I am so impressed with I just can't help but share with you guys what a difference it makes having an appropriate trolling motor for your boat does for you. No more getting blown off spots. No more planning where I fish based on the wind. I can take this out on the biggest lakes in the windiest days now and not be remotely worried. Not to mention the battery life is insane now.  

• Like 2

Hey I am right there with you!  I have a Ranger RT188 and until last weekend it had a 12V Maxxum on it.  I literally could not go out if there was more than a 10mph wind.  A buddy upgraded to an Ultrex and he sold me his Maxxum 80.  My son and I put it on last weekend and the wife and I took it out for the first time this morning.  I think I can sell the Merc 115 off the back of my boat!  LOL  What a difference.  Smart move on your part going through all the wiring and doing it correctly.  I'm lucky because my boat was already set up for it from the factory.  

• Like 1

My trolling motor has more hours than my big motor!!  It is a piece of equipment that is well worth upgrading.  

33 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

My trolling motor has more hours than my big motor!!  It is a piece of equipment that is well worth upgrading.  

Totally! I just had no idea how good, a good trolling motor really was. Being my first boat and never been in anyone else's, I had nothing to compare it to and just figured that's how they were. Boy was I wrong. I'll never underpower another boat again with a trolling motor. 

And you're right about more hours than the outboard.... Most of my lakes are under 1,000 acres and as small as 79 acres... I basically run my motor for 5-10 minutes every time I go out.. And that's over the 8hours I am out every day. Only time it gets ran more is if it's a bad day for bass and I start trolling for Pike.

Yeah I learned the same lesson with my first boat.  I bought a new boat this spring,  got the smallest big motor option they offered and put an Ultrex on the front.  You catch more fish with a good trolling motor.

• Like 1