For the last two months, I have been doing a fishing tour around the eastern US. (www.anglr.com/tour) One of my stops during the bass segment of the tour was with John Franchot, a moderator of Bass Resource. When I first got on the phone with John, he started by saying he didn’t want our fishing day to be an easy one. We were going to head to Canadice Lake and focus on big bites from difficult to trick Largemouth and Smallmouth bass. On the shoreline, we met someone familiar with John from Bass Resource and he gave us a few pointers for the lake. It was nice to have a sense of community helping us from the forum before we had even hit the water. Canadice is an ultra-clear lake that drops from 4-24ft deep in a few paddles of the kayak. John would be fishing out of a Hobie Mirage powered by the pedal drive and I was fishing out of Bonafide’s new kayak. The Hobie was rigged perfectly for this lake because of the ability to keep fishing while holding its position with the pedal drive. It was also plenty stable to stand and cast as well for those long distance shots. I reched into my Plano tackle bag and decided to start with a drop shot, the perfect clear, deepwater presentation. We targeted deep weed lines because we figured the fish would be staging near the tall weeds as they provided cover and an opportunity to ambush prey swimming nearby. John was able to hook up with a decent largemouth by making repeated casts to a laydown that looked the perfect holding spot for bass. He was also able to catch a smallmouth around rock with the dropshot as well. After getting only bluegill pecks on my dropshot and no action on my shallow jerkbait, I decided to change things up and target Lake Trout, the other main predator of the lake. I rigged up two deep diving shadow raps and began trolling at about 1.5mph and hooked up with two different Lake Trout around 45 feet of water but both shook me off right next to the kayak, likely due to the small hooks on the Shadow Rap not being made to stand up to Lakers. We then called it a day and tore down the Hobie and Bonafide, threw my deep divers back in my Plano tackle bag, and left the water. It was tough sunny conditions the whole time with the usual afternoon wind that kicked up around 2pm but at least we had pulled two fish out of Canadice Lake.

• Like 4

Welcome Jacob!  I had a blast hanging and fishing with you and Alex.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!

• Like 2

Thank you @J Francho and @Darren. Looking forward to doing a few more write ups from my trip on here! 

• Like 2

got to love the finger lakes area 

In case you guys missed it all!