Lord Castlereagh

Largemouth vs. Smallmouth

That's a beast!  This is one of my favorite smallmouth pics, taken right after a huge leap by the boat.

bedding-bass-2a.jpg

20090522-PortBay-04-XL.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

VERY nice fish!

:love-093:

If I sound like I’m complaining I’m not... but I’ve caught easily 150+ Smallmouth over 5 lbs... yet I’ve never cracked 6 lbs... (my annual goal for about 10 years running now).  To say 6 is not a trophy is a bit absurd to people like me. 

Many of the 21 inchers I’ve caught have been river fish (like the one in my photo) and I can say without hesitation that they’d outfight a much larger lake LMB.  A different animal... and in a class by themselves.

2019 goal (again) 6 lb Bronzeback :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FryDog62 said:

If I sound like I’m complaining I’m not... but I’ve caught easily 150+ Smallmouth over 5 lbs... yet I’ve never cracked 6 lbs... (my annual goal for about 10 years running now).  To say 6 is not a trophy is a bit absurd to people like me. 

Many of the 21 inchers I’ve caught have been river fish (like the one in my photo) and I can say without hesitation that they’d outfight a much larger lake LMB.  A different animal... and in a class by themselves.

2019 goal (again) 6 lb Bronzeback :)

I hear ya. I have caught 50+ smallies over six pounds but only one over 7 pounds. It's all about the fisherie, misspelled on purpose.  

• Like 1

:-)) 

i have 2 SM over 6 lbs & coming from Canada that's something,

The 2 were caught on back to back casts!

In the waters of Sturgeon Bay Wi. Lol

cheers

Rick

On 2/22/2019 at 8:09 PM, Coldbasser said:

:-)) 

i have 2 SM over 6 lbs & coming from Canada that's something,

The 2 were caught on back to back casts!

In the waters of Sturgeon Bay Wi. Lol

cheers

Rick

Wow. Two good casts!!!!

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, FryDog62 said:

I'd even say that a river dwelling smallmouth fights harder than a lake dwelling smallmouth too.  Maybe it was the current helping them during the fight but I have to think that a river smallie has to have more muscle and power to survive in the never-ending current whereas a lake resident doesn't.

31 minutes ago, gimruis said:

I'd even say that a river dwelling smallmouth fights harder than a lake dwelling smallmouth too.  Maybe it was the current helping them during the fight but I have to think that a river smallie has to have more muscle and power to survive in the never-ending current whereas a lake resident doesn't.

Our lake smallmouth fight really hard because they can dive deep, something not really possible in the rivers. They go from jumping into the air to 15 feet down really quick 

On 2/23/2019 at 9:00 PM, gimruis said:

There are currents in lakes.  Some so powerful, a swimmer can drown. 

5 hours ago, J Francho said:

There are currents in lakes.  Some so powerful, a swimmer can drown. 

Indeed. Rivers and lakes are one and the same in TN. Right now the upper ends of the lakes are moving about 4 mph

On 8/7/2018 at 7:23 PM, Further North said:

A musky (or a pike) at the boat'll stop your heart...or start it.  'Specially if they're 40" or better, and it's topwater...

Imagine catching this...

• Like 1

I've caught them from a drift boat and a Towee, never a kayak.

• Like 1