RajaCon

Braid Line with All-round Setup

Hey folks!

Please refer me to an existing post, as I have had trouble finding one to help me with this situation.

I've done a lot of digging on braid line: I understand how it functions, tips on using what leader with it at what lengths for what applications. But there are two things that never seem to have been clear: what would be the average test for braid when fishing bass and when the rod shows X range of mono, can I simply use the mono-to-braid conversion to figure out what test of braid the rod can handle?

I only have one combo that I would like to try and use in all applications with Braid, and mostly fish in murky water. The reel is an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 1003LP and a 6'6" Medium rod that can handle 6-12lb (I will eventually move to a 6'9" MH). I have an 8' rod that may be better in the meantime in terms of the line it can handle.

Working with what I got. Thank you!

I use power pro braid.

braid is a lot thinner than mono. 

on a medium action bait caster I do not use anything smaller than 30lb.

on a medium heavy I usually use 40lb or larger.

30lb power pro braid is the equivalent diameter of 8 lb mono.

40lb power pro braid is the same diameter as 10lb mono.

From my own experience, if you use  anything under 30lb braid on baitcasters, often times it digs into itself and you get backlashes.

i save the smaller braided line for spinning tackle.

• Like 1

I agree that theres no reason to go below 30# braid on anything thats not on a finesse reel. Just make sure you tie a good knot to that leader and make it long enough so the fish cant see the braid if you indeed are using a leader.

Braid is expensive. Most use cheap $2/700yd Walmart mono as backing. I use 1/3 backing (about 60 cranks on your average low profile 7-1 BC, but wouldnt be afraid to use 50% if I knew I was not gonna throw anything over 1/2oz on it like my frog rod. 

I tried using 20lb power pro when I was newer to bait casting. I had alot of problems with digging in on the spool. One of the most annoying things was getting tiny knots in your line that you dont notice right away while you're trying to pick out a backlash... its like a wind knot but worse. I have had to cut off entire spools. At the time I didn't realize that it was as simple as going to a heavier braid. User error!

I still use 65lb braid for frogging, flipping and punching, and I have gone back to braid for all of my spinning gear. 

These guys I think have pretty good suggestions, I think 30 or 40lb power pro for most applications would be as light as I would go on a baitcaster. 

In my opinion 50 lb test Power Pro braid and 12-20 lb test mono leader 6-10 feet in length with an FG knot will take you just about anywhere you want to go.  Honestly, I ignore the line test range on a rod completely and pay more attention to lure rating.  Starting to take the lure rating with a grain of salt as well on many rods.

As said, not a bad idea to fill the spool at least 1/3 to 1/2 with mono or flouro before putting on the braided line.  Mostly because it can allow you to fill 2 reels with 1 spool of braid, and save $.

The reason I recommend 50 lb braid has nothing to do with the breaking strength and everything to do with it being easy to see when you want to 'watch your line,' and the fact that it won't dig into itself while on the spool as bad as smaller test braid tends to do.  Hope this helps man.

2 hours ago, LionHeart said:

In my opinion 50 lb test Power Pro braid and 12-20 lb test mono leader 6-10 feet in length with an FG knot will take you just about anywhere you want to go.  Honestly, I ignore the line test range on a rod completely and pay more attention to lure rating.  Starting to take the lure rating with a grain of salt as well on many rods.

As said, not a bad idea to fill the spool at least 1/3 to 1/2 with mono or flouro before putting on the braided line.  Mostly because it can allow you to fill 2 reels with 1 spool of braid, and save $.

The reason I recommend 50 lb braid has nothing to do with the breaking strength and everything to do with it being easy to see when you want to 'watch your line,' and the fact that it won't dig into itself while on the spool as bad as smaller test braid tends to do.  Hope this helps man.

To you and @Mikeltee: so you have all that backing so you can keep the spool full without using so much braid? Or does it also have to do with slippage? I would think that 40 yds or so of backing would be overkill if slippage was the reason. 

Nothing to do with slippage.  I do it soley to save $

1 hour ago, LionHeart said:

Nothing to do with slippage.  I do it soley to save $

Does a spool have to be completely full in order for the reel to be very effective? I apologise if I am missing the point of the suggestion. 

No a reel does not need to be full, but a reel is rated in part to its retrieve rate. A full spool will be closest to this ratio. A half empty spool will roughly be 2/3 of the ratio, dependent upon the thickness of the center of a spool.

Some use it for slippage, but I have slippage with braid, mono, and flouro. It can be a real bear to get the winding started. Some spools have little posts in the to prevent this. I never casted so far that slippage was a concern.

FYI a full reel to me is when one side comes to the bevel. I dont think ive ever seen a perfectly even lined spool so check each side when you are getting close.

1 hour ago, RajaCon said:

Does a spool have to be completely full in order for the reel to be very effective? I apologise if I am missing the point of the suggestion. 

Pretty much what Mike said.  If your reel isn't properly filled you will sacrifice retrieve speed, which for some techniques is pretty dang important.  Is it the end of the world? Course not.

Some will claim that casting distance is decreased but that's more of a spinning reel problem, and negligible at best on a casting reel.

On the opposite side of things, an overly filled spool will cause you many backslashes.

I take a different approach to braid than a lot of people: if a reel is rated for X feet of 8 pound mono, I use a braid that is roughly equivalent in diameter to the mono...partly because braid is expensive, and I see no reason to wind extra braid onto a reel to fill it up and partly because I have no use for braid much under 30#.

As noted above, it digs into spools, it can't take an abrasion at all, and it's going to cut my hands at some point.  I'd rather have the extra strength and tie in a leader as needed.

Works great.

I dont need/use leaders with my braid so filling spools full with braid actually saves $$$ over top filling. Now as I use the braid up Ill add backing as needed to keep spool at full level and replace braid once I start casting down to the connection knot.

Thank you folks! I have a follow-up question since I found an article mentioning this. Would the size braid affect the casting distnace of a particular size lure? If I chose to go with 50lb braid, could I effectively throw a 1/4 oz Buzzbait or a 3/16 oz Rapala Floating minnow?

I do think it is a counter to the original question and all that has been said, but I have to ask for sureness. This is not a perfect setup I am going with, but I wouldn't want this to any more difficult.

8 hours ago, RajaCon said:

Thank you folks! I have a follow-up question since I found an article mentioning this. Would the size braid affect the casting distnace of a particular size lure? If I chose to go with 50lb braid, could I effectively throw a 1/4 oz Buzzbait or a 3/16 oz Rapala Floating minnow?

I do think it is a counter to the original question and all that has been said, but I have to ask for sureness. This is not a perfect setup I am going with, but I wouldn't want this to any more difficult.

50Lb is pretty heavy for those lures. 30lb would be better. But rod choice is probably a more important factor

10 hours ago, RajaCon said:

Yes.

Cover and technique dictates what lb braid I use. In general I use 10lb braid on spinning set ups and 30lb braid on baitcasting setups. If the water is clear I will use either 8lb or 15lb fluorocarbon leader.