Is there any more durable rod for bank fishing than a Ugly Stik? Looking at around 6’ length.

50 minutes ago, boatlesswonder said:

Is there any more durable rod for bank fishing than a Ugly Stik? Looking at around 6’ length.

What is your budget? I heard the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock is a decent rod. 

Ugly stick is a very durable rod, not the most sensitive and a very slow action, but it will make a good trunk rod and it will catch fish. 

If you enjoy fishing you will probably end up upgrading in very short time. Rods in the $100 range offer a lot more in the long run. 

Lightning Rods are within the budget, durability is the key factor.  There are many trees, rocks, and other hazards in the available areas. Thanks so much for the replies.

Between the two, I would go with the lightening rod. 

I use to use UglySticks but started getting the Academy Roughneck series lately. Half price of an Ugly Stick or more sometimes.

5' 6" pistol grip and up, several models, casting and spinning. Check their price in store, normally $20, sometimes I've discovered one model will be $15 and not in the sales circular. fwiw

Ugly sticks are good for cranking but that’s about it when it comes to fishing for bass.

Again, thanks for the comments. Will look for the Roughnecks😎

7 hours ago, Burrows said:

Ugly sticks are good for cranking but that’s about it when it comes to fishing for bass.

Tell that to this bass as she lost to a Ugly Stik spinning rod. Bucket was for size perception. Bought Ugly Stiks when I 1st got back into fishing. Have upgraded my rods now, but think my Ugly Stik catches outway my new rods still.

Bass1.thumb.jpg.418b117a4cbeae4612ba6df818f89916.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kenmitch said:

Tell that to this bass as she lost to a Ugly Stik spinning rod. Bucket was for size perception. Bought Ugly Stiks when I 1st got back into fishing. Have upgraded my rods now, but think my Ugly Stik catches outway my new rods still.

Bass1.thumb.jpg.418b117a4cbeae4612ba6df818f89916.jpg

Good for you. Your catch rate will go up significantly with a more sensitive blank.

Where i normally fish, having the rod make it to the spot is half the battle. Catching is just a bonus.

• Like 1