Ratherbfishing

Worst thing a BOATER has done to you

Seems there are alot of grey areas here. I agree that the co angler deserves to be in a position to fish effectively but there are factors sometimes that dont allow this (wind for instance) but my club has a rule that both members are aloud half day on the TM, not that this is exactly enforced or even initiated by most co anglers.

In my mind though say in the situation of going down a bank, I believe there is an invisible line down the middle of the boat and the co angler should not cast beyond this point until his turn, I also believe that if the boater works his way into some thick brush in order to make a specific cast then that will be HIS cast and no one else's.

Your thoughts?

You are correct.  It's a common etiquette consideration for the co not to cast in front of the consoles.  We can get deep in the weeds on all of the unwritten and written rules but believe you me if I ever drew a boater that prevented me from fishing either intentionally or if his preferred style caused it, I would make a claim at the weigh in.  It's not an internet fantasy either it happens a lot.  I started doing research for a series that I was going to write for Yamamoto called "From the Back Deck" but put it on hold.  Most boaters are considerate but I have seen some that could back boat you all day and you would never get a productive cast.  Those guys also are bullies and then turn around and grouse about the co not kicking in for fuel or wiping down the boat or bringing them lunch or giving hot oil massages after the tournament....:lol:  I jest but it's kind of true.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Logan S said:

Backseating happens 1000x more often on the internet than it does in real life. 

I think this sums it up pretty well.  Being a co-angler isn't all that fun so anytime a boater does something a co doesn't like (sit in one spot for 4 hours, move the boat too fast so your senko doesn't sink, cast to a piece of cover first, or just fish in an area you don't like) he/she will tend to cry "backboating."  I feel I can say that because I actually did that when I started fishing tourneys as a co years ago.  Eventually I just started to go with the flow and adjust accordingly, which is the best advice I can give to co-anglers. When I changed my attitude, the experiences got way better.  The vast majority of boaters aren't out to sabotage their co-anglers.  They just wanna do their thing. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a few people in here should stick to fishing alone! 🙄

• Like 2

I have fished one tournament in my life and it was as a co angler. (BFL not team) The guy told me at the meeting the night before that he hadn’t fished the lake in years and wasn’t on anything. He kept the boat 1 ft from the bank the entire 8 hrs and threw up front. He also asked me where I wanted to fish, which was illegal the way I understood the rules. Is this considered “backboating” or unethical or what? I didn’t complain to him or anyone, just asking what y’all think. (For the record I have a few of my own boats but they aren’t “tournament worthy”) Biggest waste of $120 I can recall and I haven’t fished a tournament ever since and probably never will. Needless to say we both caught dink’s and zero keepers. Sure is fun to have a regular job and just fish with all my neighbors and friends after work and on weekends that I have off. 

8 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

I have fished one tournament in my life and it was as a co angler. (BFL not team) The guy told me at the meeting the night before that he hadn’t fished the lake in years and wasn’t on anything. He kept the boat 1 ft from the bank the entire 8 hrs and threw up front. He also asked me where I wanted to fish, which was illegal the way I understood the rules. Is this considered “backboating” or unethical or what? I didn’t complain to him or anyone, just asking what y’all think. (For the record I have a few of my own boats but they aren’t “tournament worthy”) Biggest waste of $120 I can recall and I haven’t fished a tournament ever since and probably never will. Needless to say we both caught dink’s and zero keepers. Sure is fun to have a regular job and just fish with all my neighbors and friends after work and on weekends that I have off. 

No, that was not backboating.  The key is "intentionally" keeping you from fishing.  You just had a clueless boater/angler.  I'm not saying it is an epidemic but my initial research showed it does happen with regularity, if it didn't there wouldn't be rules on the books against it.  I'm also not for filing frivolous protests but if the rules are broken then it needs to be examined by the TD and a decision made.  

38 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

No, that was not backboating.  The key is "intentionally" keeping you from fishing.  You just had a clueless boater/angler.  I'm not saying it is an epidemic but my initial research showed it does happen with regularity, if it didn't there wouldn't be rules on the books against it.  I'm also not for filing frivolous protests but if the rules are broken then it needs to be examined by the TD and a decision made.  

He was clueless about fishing but good at sales! He said Pure fishing pays all his every fees so he can just mingle with all the anglers and sell them stuff. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

He was clueless about fishing but good at sales! He said Pure fishing pays all his every fees so he can just mingle with all the anglers and sell them stuff. 

You should have told him "Pure fishing doesn't pay my entry fees!"

• Haha 1

I’m a new boater, coming from a coangler recently I can see both sides of the discussion and don’t think that a one size fits all rule approach really works.  Both boaters and non boaters come with widely varying experience, skill, knowledge of the fishery, etc.  

I’ve recently fished two tournaments with a coangler, just so happens it was the same guy twice.  He’s in my club and I drew him for my first club tournament as a boater, which we both did well in.  This was a two day event, and he was in my boat day 1 and in another guys boat day 2.  After day 1 with me he was sitting in 1st and I was in 3rd place.  The guy he was fishing with the next day happened to be in 2nd place.  After day 2 I won, and my coangler from day 1 didn’t catch a single fish all day because of the dock pattern his boater was fishing.  Not anything intentional or nefarious  about it, the boater was just trying to win and kind of screwed his co because of it.  

Even if you are technically competing against each other, I still think it can be an advantage to have a co onboard.  There’s exceptions of course, but I can see scenarios were working off a co can really help narrow down a good bite for both of you.  If I’m fishing with someone, I’m usually vocal about my thought process, plan, and pattern for the day.  I’ll often ask for their input as well, especially if my gameplan isn’t working.  Maybe some guys wouldn’t appreciate their boater being vocal?  I’m not sure, I’m just used to fishing alone or with buddies, and I’ve pretty much taught all of my buddies how to bass fish so I’m always talking through my thought process and bait selection.   

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 4:53 PM, Sam said:

I have been back boated by my club buddies. I can name four right off the top of my head.

In one Region 3 tournament on the Mattaponi River I filled in for the team's nonboater (he had to do something with his daughter) and I caught three and missed one while the boater caught one. The boater was really surprised and glad that I caught my three as it helped him in the standings. And he told everyone at weigh-in that I caught the three and he nailed only one so there would be no misunderstandings that he caught all four.

Another time, about 12 years ago, on the Chickahominy River in Virginia after a club tournament, I had a melt down. A total yelling and cussing melt down. I will never forget this. And my melt down lasted for about two hours after weigh-in.

Since I am usually a quiet guy, the club members were really surprised by my going nuts.

The guy, who is one of my best friends now, was the boater. The problem was that we sat in one place for four hours because he caught a bass in this area when he prefished a few days earlier. He had caught a bass by a Cyprus tree in a creek off the main river. He refused to move or speak about moving. We just sat there. Four freaking hours.

All I did was feed the crabs my Senkos and all he did was sit in one position with his Zoom trick worm on the bottom, waiting for a bite. True dead sticking in the middle of the summer.

Another guy in the club laughed at us as he went by and told the guys at weigh-in that he passed us four times as he moved from place to place and thought we would win the tournament with a big bag since we never moved.

Finally, through my polarized sunglasses, I saw a bass swim around the tree and I told the boater where to throw his worm. Since he did not have polarized sunglasses he did not see the fish and after I yelled at him for about five to six seconds, he moved the worm to where I was pointing and the bass hit it. Only fish we caught that day.

Four hours in one place with no bites. And he refused to move.

I blasted him at weigh-in and the club president and vice president had a conversation with him as I was not the first club nonboater to have a problem with him back boating and not moving around enough.

He is set in his ways and he will not give up on a pattern even if it is not working. And he asked me a few months ago why he was not catching the bass at the same rate as the rest of the club members. I just smiled and said he will, one day.

Today, as I penned above, we are good friends and we have no problems. I have no idea if he back boats any of the other club members when they fish with him but since we went to a "team concept" it does not matter. I fished with him only one time since and we had to follow his milk run even though we were not catching them.

Guys, four hours in one place. No bites. No conversation. It can drive a guy to drink. :puke1:

Think I would have gone wade fishing. 🤔

• Haha 1

It's really easy guys, just treat the boater or non-boater how you would like to be treated.   Some people have empathy and some don't.   I can't catch fish behind a guy paralleling rip-rap and moving 3 MPH with the boat side 3 feet from the bank.  But if my boater does it, I'm still pulling for him and don't mind if it's not all day.

One of my worst boater stories- I'm fishing my first B.A.S.S Nation regional at Lake of the Ozarks and draw a stud of a stick from Texas-Tom Jessup.  I'm super respectful and he is a fishing machine but his style allows me very little opportunity.   Then, he has to work very hard in windy conditions to position the boat on a spot.  I wait until  after he cast and then make a parallel  crank-bait cast that was  behind the console line.   We both hook up and he shakes off his small one and I call for the net as mine is going to be close.   He dutifully nets my fish and holds the net on both sides and as I start to reach in for it, he shakes the net violently and the trebles tangle the net into a mess.   I have to sit down and pick it out while he cast to the school.  I just would never consider doing that to anyone and was in stunned disbelief. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4