Big Rick

Mustad KVD Fastach Clips

Anyone that fishes with a leader knows the frustration of multiple reties that shorten your leader with every lure.  That said, I've seen the Mustad KVD Fastch clips.  You can get them with or without the swivel. Has anyone had any lengthy experience with these?  Do they hold up to abuse? Will they handle a big fish confidently?  

rs.php?path=KVFS-1.jpg

14 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

Anyone that fishes with a leader knows the frustration of multiple reties that shorten your leader with every lure.  That said, I've seen the Mustad KVD Fastch clips.  You can get them with or without the swivel. Has anyone had any lengthy experience with these?  Do they hold up to abuse? Will they handle a big fish confidently?  

rs.php?path=KVFS-1.jpg

I was told about these a few months ago when I was asking about whopper plopper setups as the long casts loopy line once you get a weed.  People swore by them on here- Said the keeper looks terrible but everyone who has one said they never lost anything.

I went to buy some and everywhere was sold out of the size I wanted.  I will be buying them.

I use both the clips and ball bearing swivel/clips, and have not had any problems with them. They do get a little tricky with lures with a cupped face (poppers), or lures with a plastic lip where the eyelet is inset. Hard to explain, but the way you have to curl the clip on can sometimes make it a little tricky. Duo-lock clips have the advantage in those situations.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Junger said:

I use both the clips and ball bearing swivel/clips, and have not had any problems with them. They do get a little tricky with lures with a cupped face (poppers), or lures with a plastic lip where the eyelet is inset. Hard to explain, but the way you have to curl the clip on can sometimes make it a little tricky. Duo-lock clips have the advantage in those situations.

What size do you use?

7 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

What size do you use?

Size 0 Clips for smaller lures around 1/8-3/8oz like poppers, jerkbaits.

Size 1 Clips for lures around 1/2-1oz like medium swimbaits, chatterbaits

Size 0.0 Swivels for small inline spinners like Mepps.

Size 1.2 Swivels for larger lures up to about 1oz like whopper ploppers, Spro BBZ Rats

• Thanks 1

Love them. I use the KVD Swivel Fastaches on all of my baitcasters. 

They dont catch any weeds that I’ve noticed. If there are weeds it’s always the lure. 

7CB580F9-2FC3-45FF-8703-E1F26A034EAE.thumb.jpeg.ca138b3af4a24eb4dce8c0ddf17af4b3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks!  I guess my biggest concern is the ability to handle a big fish. I fish a lot of structure and don't want to lose a big one due to failure of the clip. Yes, I let my drag do the hard work, but I've had issues with clips/swivels in the past so I'm a bit skittish. 

1 minute ago, Big Rick said:

Thanks!  I guess my biggest concern is the ability to handle a big fish. I fish a lot of structure and don't want to lose a big one due to failure of the clip. Yes, I let my drag do the hard work, but I've had issues with clips/swivels in the past so I'm a bit skittish. 

I like to go as minimal as possible, but never had any break of the clips so far. But maybe upsize to Size 2 or 3 if you're concerned about cover.

Size 0 - 15lbs

Size 1 - 25lbs

Size 2 - 50lbs

• Thanks 1

I have them.  I use them.  My only complaint is that they are a hassle to use with split rings so I have started taking all of the split rings off of my lures in order to give it a true evaluation to decide if I want to make the lifestyle change.  I haven’t completely decided yet.

With regards to small poppers, I have yet to find anything that works well enough that I have stopped tying loop knots.

I mostly use size 1 of both although I do have a pack of each in 2 that I haven’t gotten into yet.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Junger said:

I like to go as minimal as possible, but never had any break of the clips so far. But maybe upsize to Size 2 or 3 if you're concerned about cover.

Size 0 - 15lbs

Size 1 - 25lbs

Size 2 - 50lbs

Does the weight refer to line test/strength? Thanks in advance. 

2 minutes ago, islandbass said:

Does the weight refer to line test/strength? Thanks in advance. 

Yes, the rated breaking strength. Size 3 is 75lbs, Size 4, 100lbs, etc.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Happybeerbuzz said:

I have them.  I use them.  My only complaint is that they are a hassle to use with split rings so I have started taking all of the split rings off of my lures in order to give it a true evaluation to decide if I want to make the lifestyle change.  I haven’t completely decided yet.

With regards to small poppers, I have yet to find anything that works well enough that I have stopped tying loop knots.

I mostly use size 1 of both although I do have a pack of each in 2 that I haven’t gotten into yet.

I've found that split rings sorta suck too but they can be done quickly and easily with practice.

Here's a review of the regular Fastash clips.

• Thanks 1

I take off all the stock split rings and use these. Texas Tackle split ring pliers make them ezmode to remove.

I do use the Fastach with chatterbaits and the stock blade clips. I actually think it helps the blade start up faster on retrieve...just my opinion on that though.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Burrows said:

Pline cross lock my favorite cheap to!

1A21DA72-6506-418B-BCA3-C214B5714F12.jpeg

I've tried those. My biggest issue is the bend at the clasp is so tight that some hook eyes on baits like under spins and such won't hardly fit. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

I've tried those. My biggest issue is the bend at the clasp is so tight that some hook eyes on baits like under spins and such won't hardly fit. 

Yeah I know exactly what you mean but I only use them on crankbaits and they have good action because of the shape and they are very snagless.

Personally I tie directly to any jig type bait under spins jigs spinner baits always tie directly to the bait. 

16 hours ago, Burrows said:

Pline cross lock my favorite cheap to!

1A21DA72-6506-418B-BCA3-C214B5714F12.jpeg

These are the only ones I use as well. Never had one fail. I throw the 10xd on it too.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone for chiming in with your thoughts. I've got some on my wishlist on TW. I couldn't find them at any retail stores. BP, Acadamy, DSG, or Field and Stream. So, I'll just order them online. 

Thanks again!!