Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
A-Jay

August & September 2018 has been decent.

Recommended Posts

Late summer and early fall 2018 smallmouth fishing was respectable for me this season. 

 

Here are a few pics of some of my favorites.

 

https://www.facebook.com/life.at.the.45th.parallel/media_set?set=a.1910289519050902&type=3

 

 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice 'ski (and bass, of course)! Did you catch it on that small swimbait on the deck behind you?

 

If you don't mind, what are you using to take pictures? I'd love to be able to get pictures of the muskies I catch solo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, portiabrat said:

Nice 'ski (and bass, of course)! Did you catch it on that small swimbait on the deck behind you?

 

If you don't mind, what are you using to take pictures? I'd love to be able to get pictures of the muskies I catch solo.

Thanks ~ 

Yes a 4.8 perch colored Keitech Swing Impact FAT on a 1/2 football head.

 

I use a couple of GoPro's (hero 5 black & session).

One is mounted on a YoloTech Boomstick that screws into one of the rear pedestal seat post hole.

https://yolotek.com/products/the-boom

 

The other GoPro is clipped to my console wind screen.  You can see it in a couple of the pics taken from the back out the boat. 

 

Pictures are easily 'captured' out of the video during editing. 

 

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun times.  Chunky musky there, wonder what it's been eating?  Looks like a LOTW fish with all that girth.

 

August and early September here...also at 45° N...has been warm...way, way too warm.  Was 90° both days last weekend...and we had 85° - 87° water temps on the Chippewa Flowage mid August...still 72° pluss last weekend up near Hayward.

 

The good news: Tonight's low is supposed to be 35°...that should knock some of the warmth outta the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Further North said:

Fun times.  Chunky musky there, wonder what it's been eating?  Looks like a LOTW fish with all that girth.

 

August and early September here...also at 45° N...has been warm...way, way too warm.  Was 90° both days last weekend...and we had 85° - 87° water temps on the Chippewa Flowage mid August...still 72° pluss last weekend up near Hayward.

 

The good news: Tonight's low is supposed to be 35°...that should knock some of the warmth outta the water.

Thanks - Musky there have plenty of fine dining options including the several thousand walleye fingerlings that are stocked here a couple of times a year.   Really looking forward to this seeing if & how this musky fishery progresses.

If all goes well - I could have an 'other species' option very local. 

Doesn't hurt if they decide to get mostly over sized either.

Looking forward to the coming coolness myself - hope it gets the brown bass bite going - it's been mostly stagnant for a bit. 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your observations on how the muskies and pike mingle will be interesting as the fishery matures.

 

I know what I've observed locally here, it'll be interesting if you see the same things.

 

The really chunky Esox I see - mostly Canadian Shield and Great Lakes fish for me - always seem to be in water that have trout...usually lakers.

 

I caught a pair of 42" pike on a big lake north of Ignace known for lake trout and walleye that were so big around they looked distorted.  The same lake produced a pike just short of 30" that weighed a nudge over 9 1/2 pounds...it was so fat I had to put it on a scale, something I almost never do...in June.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These toothy critters sound like too much fun...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 12:20 AM, Further North said:

Your observations on how the muskies and pike mingle will be interesting as the fishery matures.

 

I know what I've observed locally here, it'll be interesting if you see the same things.

 

The really chunky Esox I see - mostly Canadian Shield and Great Lakes fish for me - always seem to be in water that have trout...usually lakers.

 

I caught a pair of 42" pike on a big lake north of Ignace known for lake trout and walleye that were so big around they looked distorted.  The same lake produced a pike just short of 30" that weighed a nudge over 9 1/2 pounds...it was so fat I had to put it on a scale, something I almost never do...in June.

Well the lake I was on yesterday (different from the place that recently stocked musky) is big and has most every species we have up here in it.  Been on a solid big fish smallie bite shallow for a few weeks then something changed - very few bass. 

   Yesterday, while bass fishing again, got a dozen or so (mostly fun size) but I was also into a load of pike up to about 34 inches and I dropped what would have easily been a PB Musky boat side, although I'll admit it's a little tricky measuring them before I land them  . . . :D

 

  So it seemed that the bigger smb bailed when the teeth showed up but the smaller fish stayed.   Btw - that ski could have downed a anything I caught this day quite easily.  

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 8:21 AM, A-Jay said:

Well the lake I was on yesterday (different from the place that recently stocked musky) is big and has most every species we have up here in it.  Been on a solid big fish smallie bite shallow for a few weeks then something changed - very few bass. 

   Yesterday, while bass fishing again, got a dozen or so (mostly fun size) but I was also into a load of pike up to about 34 inches and I dropped what would have easily been a PB Musky boat side, although I'll admit it's a little tricky measuring them before I land them  . . . :D

Bummer on the musky...that'll happen with those big girls though.  You think they're all done, then one big head shake at the boat with the line going straight up to your rod tip...and bye bye... been there, and I'll be there again...

 

If it helps any, I wouldn't have put a tape on the musky either...I seldom bring them in the boat any more, just de-hook in the water if I can.

 

My favorite Esox are in that 30" 45" range...not that I turn down smaller or bigger...but to me those are the most fun to catch.   I seem to be on a mission to catch three-footers the last few weeks...One pike and one musky that size up near Hayward a couple weeks ago;

one musky and two pike about that size yesterday...and all within an hour of each other...it was kinda weird...

 

...other than that, sounds like you're on a roll.  I think your assessment of teh bass bailing out with that many pike and musky around is a solid theory.  I've had that happen in Canada in a shorter time frame...decent smallie bite going on...then nothing...then BAM!  Big toothy fish.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:21 AM, A-Jay said:

So it seemed that the bigger smb bailed when the teeth showed up but the smaller fish stayed.   Btw - that ski could have downed a anything I caught this day quite easily.  

 

Yeah...you get a really unique perspective on the food chain when you get one of those big Esox...and you realize why they aren't afraid of anything that swims...
 

 

 

On 9/22/2018 at 10:59 PM, TnRiver46 said:

These toothy critters sound like too much fun...........

They is...and you've got 'em down there...at least in the rivers if not the lakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Further North said:

 

They is...and you've got 'em down there...at least in the rivers if not the lakes.

You are correct we have some giant musky but no Pike. I'm not too excited about the 10,000 casts though.......... Sorry for the hijack @A-Jay

IMG_0350.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a gorgeous fish.

 

6 minutes ago, TnRiver46 said:

I'm not too excited about the 10,000 casts though

The 10,000 casts is a myth.  I caught 20 last year and I sure as heck didn't make 200,000 casts.  I couldn't begin to count the number of pike I catch a year.

 

There's a local guy - Ace Sommerfeld - who writes for some of the musky publications...broke 200 in one season a couple years back.  If you know what you're doing, you'll catch them.

 

...the other myth is that you have to throw huge lures.  Nonsense.  My two PBs (48", give or take a 1/2") came on a #5 Mepps and a Texas rigged Strike King Smokin' Rooster.  The latter would be a killer bait for you down there...T-rig over a wire leader, happy to show you how I do it.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was of the same opinion  until yesterday. Almost shut out and had a real hard time just finding  them. Surface Temps dropped 6 degrees in 2 days and winds in almost all directions.

 

Heard they were at 50 feet!

 

Never looked there...

 

Going out tonight to see if I can right the ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, NHBull said:

I was of the same opinion  until yesterday. Almost shut out and had a real hard time just finding  them. Surface Temps dropped 6 degrees in 2 days and winds in almost all directions.

 

Heard they were at 50 feet!

 

Never looked there...

 

Going out tonight to see if I can right the ship

Got any world war II depth charges?

58 minutes ago, Further North said:

That's a gorgeous fish.

 

The 10,000 casts is a myth.  I caught 20 last year and I sure as heck didn't make 200,000 casts.  I couldn't begin to count the number of pike I catch a year.

 

There's a local guy - Ace Sommerfeld - who writes for some of the musky publications...broke 200 in one season a couple years back.  If you know what you're doing, you'll catch them.

 

...the other myth is that you have to throw huge lures.  Nonsense.  My two PBs (48", give or take a 1/2") came on a #5 Mepps and a Texas rigged Strike King Smokin' Rooster.  The latter would be a killer bait for you down there...T-rig over a wire leader, happy to show you how I do it.

I appreciate the offer but I'll leave the musky targeting to the guys that love it, those Pike are what interest me. I like fish that you can catch all the time. Nothing against musky guys, the dude in the picture is a buddy that guides for them here. It's just not my thing 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

I appreciate the offer but I'll leave the musky targeting to the guys that love it, those Pike are what interest me. I like fish that you can catch all the time. Nothing against musky guys, the dude in the picture is a buddy that guides for them here. It's just not my thing

That's interesting, as I'd rather catch pike than musky...the musky last year were simply a by product of chasing pike.

I think truly big pike are rarer, and harder to catch than big muskies, and I think pike fight harder.

 

Sunday afternoon, I tangled with three ~3-footers all within an hour or so...one was a musky, the other two were pike...both pike had me thinking I had much bigger fish.

 

BTW, the reason I throw that rig above is that pike seem to just hate it...and it throws easy, all day, if you want.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@A-Jay - you're crushing it, man.  

 

Also, I'm super jealous of you guys in Wisconsin and Michigan.  We've been so flooded out, I haven't had a chance to get out for smallmouth in months.  I'm really hoping that I can finally change that this weekend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Turkey sandwich said:

@A-Jay - you're crushing it, man.  

 

Also, I'm super jealous of you guys in Wisconsin and Michigan.  We've been so flooded out, I haven't had a chance to get out for smallmouth in months.  I'm really hoping that I can finally change that this weekend. 

Thanks ~ 

Hope your conditions & fishing improve sooner rather than later.

We are getting rained on straight through into next week ! 

 Totally kills the smallie bite - Hate It ! 

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, Further North said:

The 10,000 casts is a myth.  I caught 20 last year and I sure as heck didn't make 200,000 casts.  I couldn't begin to count the number of pike I catch a year.

I can confirm with 100% positivity that is it NOT a myth.  10,000 casts is actually not even close.  I logged 16 years and over 400 hours without one.  MYTH de-bunked

 

Luckily that drought did end in 2017 with 8 and I've got 4 this season. 

 

I can't even count the number of pike either.  Literally dozens and dozens and they are mostly slimy snakes that are over populating our lakes and rivers around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 6:52 PM, gimruis said:

I can confirm with 100% positivity that is it NOT a myth.  10,000 casts is actually not even close.  I logged 16 years and over 400 hours without one.  MYTH de-bunked

Dude...I hope the reason was that you weren't' fishing for them...😉

If you were fishing for them...and went 16 years...I greatly admire your dedication...

 

Seriously, I catch most of mine as a by-catch chasing pike.  I'll take similarly sized pike over musky all day, every day, any day.

 

On 10/4/2018 at 6:52 PM, gimruis said:

Luckily that drought did end in 2017 with 8 and I've got 4 this season. 

Until a couple weeks ago, you had me beat by one this year...then I tripped over 3 in rapid succession...but it's been weird...all three footers...along with pike the same size.  I dunno what's up.

 

On 10/4/2018 at 6:52 PM, gimruis said:

I can't even count the number of pike either.  Literally dozens and dozens and they are mostly slimy snakes that are over populating our lakes and rivers around here.

I've never quite figured out why that happens...some of it is that bigger pike go dormant when water temps get too warm...it's like smaller pike and larger pike are two different species.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During that drought, I almost exclusively fished enormous lures which I now realize ONLY targeted the largest fish in the system.  Last year I mostly used smaller, down sized lures and I think then targeted a lot more fish.  Sort of like ned rig fishing for bass - it targets every fish, big and small.  When you upsize to a 10 inch rubber worm, you really only target big ones.

 

I went out Monday with a friend of mine and we each caught another one.  Neither one was very big but 2 is more than not catching them.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gimruis said:

During that drought, I almost exclusively fished enormous lures which I now realize ONLY targeted the largest fish in the system.  Last year I mostly used smaller, down sized lures and I think then targeted a lot more fish.  Sort of like ned rig fishing for bass - it targets every fish, big and small.  When you upsize to a 10 inch rubber worm, you really only target big ones.

 

I went out Monday with a friend of mine and we each caught another one.  Neither one was very big but 2 is more than not catching them.

Yup, that'll do it. 

 

I seldom throw big stuff (it's a PITA) and while I might not catch the biggest esox on any given day, I tend to catch a lot of them.

 

I've got the opinion that if a pike or musky is gonna eat, they'll eat a 7" plastic, a # 5 Mepps or a one ounce spoon just as much as they'll eat a 12", 6 ounce bait that kills my shoulders and back to throw...if I put it in the right place. 

 

Seems to work out that way a lot anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gimruis said:

During that drought, I almost exclusively fished enormous lures which I now realize ONLY targeted the largest fish in the system.  Last year I mostly used smaller, down sized lures and I think then targeted a lot more fish.  Sort of like ned rig fishing for bass - it targets every fish, big and small.  When you upsize to a 10 inch rubber worm, you really only target big ones.

 

I went out Monday with a friend of mine and we each caught another one.  Neither one was very big but 2 is more than not catching them.

 

1 minute ago, Further North said:

Yup, that'll do it. 

 

I seldom throw big stuff (it's a PITA) and while I might not catch the biggest esox on any given day, I tend to catch a lot of them.

 

I've got the opinion that if a pike or musky is gonna eat, they'll eat a 7" plastic, a # 5 Mepps or a one ounce spoon just as much as they'll eat a 12", 6 ounce bait that kills my shoulders and back to throw...if I put it in the right place. 

 

Seems to work out that way a lot anyway.

START YOUR OWN THREAD.

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×