Jump to content
cgolf

Which Reel on TW Black Friday Sale?

Recommended Posts

I am getting one mid level reel on the TW BF sale, but don’t no which is best. Picked up a Lews Crush this year and hands down best reel I own. Have had mixed luck with Daiwa, their 50 to 80 dollar reels have had more issues than other brands at that price point, but do like my Viento. 

 

Options so far are Lews Tournament Pro G speed spool ACB at 169.97, Lews Mach 1 speed spool at 99.97, Daiwa Tatula 100 at 159.99, Abu Revo SX Gen 4 at 159.99, or Abu Revo S Gen 4 at 129.99. 

 

Also if there there are options I am missing that TW carries, limited to TW purchase because I get to order my Christmas gift on Black Friday:)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the most part anything, I recommend going with Diawa and Shimano reels. In general most people regard them as the two top companies. I've always been impressed with both. They are all I own. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What % off regular price is the TW Black Friday sale? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TBAG said:

What % off regular price is the TW Black Friday sale? 

20% off and the last two years some brands of tackle have had an additional percentage off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are all good reels and this is NOT a knock on TW because I buy the vast majority of my tackle (and a couple of my rods) from TW...but I have not found TW to be the best place to buy reels.  Even with a 20% discount.  You need to check EBay and shop some of the box store deals.  Heck, I got a Revo SX Gen 4 from Dick's for $99 and got a FREE 7ft M/H Vendetta.  Again, not knocking TW in any way, other than the prices on their reels.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes EBay has a 20% off sale and retailers also have the reel on sale, so it’s off the sale price. Keep an eye out on the Bass Resource Fishing Tackle forum and there is a Sale Thread that will usually tell about good sales 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigAngus752 said:

Those are all good reels and this is NOT a knock on TW because I buy the vast majority of my tackle (and a couple of my rods) from TW...but I have not found TW to be the best place to buy reels.  Even with a 20% discount.  You need to check EBay and shop some of the box store deals.  Heck, I got a Revo SX Gen 4 from Dick's for $99 and got a FREE 7ft M/H Vendetta.  Again, not knocking TW in any way, other than the prices on their reels.  

 

1 hour ago, The Fisher said:

Sometimes EBay has a 20% off sale and retailers also have the reel on sale, so it’s off the sale price. Keep an eye out on the Bass Resource Fishing Tackle forum and there is a Sale Thread that will usually tell about good sales 

I definitely keep an eye on the sale thread, but with my kid in college my personal cash flow isn’t what it used to be, but family is being generous with a gift card to TW that allows me to pick up a reel along with al, the tackle I need for next year. So that is why I am limited to TW, first world problems lol. 

 

I did get a crazy deal on the crush at Dick’s, basically got the combo for 140. Wish I could find a close out like I did on the Daiwa Viento where I got it for 80. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cgolf said:

a gift card to TW

Hey, you can't beat that price right there!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of that list I highly recomend the pro g... you won’t be disappointed with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stephen B said:

For the most part anything, I recommend going with Diawa and Shimano reels. In general most people regard them as the two top companies. I've always been impressed with both. They are all I own. 

In the price points I mentioned what are your thoughts? 

 

I will say I have read on these boards that Shimanos aren’t as serviceable any more, something to do with parts availability, and that Lews is coming on as a strong brand, not sure how true that is, probanly depends on who you ask;) All I will say about Daiwa is the fact that I know they have great customer service for reels is a strike against them and does make me think about dropping a lot of coin on one of their reels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious about why the Shimano Curado is not even being considered here. Have you done any research on baitcasting reels in the $150-200 range? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Diawa line you should check out the Fuego CT or any of the Tatula models.  Consider adding the Supreme XT and Smoke S3 to your options.  The Revo ALX is on sale...$180 for a $250 reel.  For a bit more I have to say that I enjoy my Helios LP.

 

I am surprised no Shimano is on your list.

 

Of the reels on your list I personally would opt for the Tournament Pro G.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

I'm curious about why the Shimano Curado is not even being considered here. Have you done any research on baitcasting reels in the $150-200 range? 

This is kind of what this thread is about. 

 

The only reels I personally have in that price range are a Lews and a Daiwa. The Lews casts a mile without back lashing, even casted lipless at night for walleyes with no issues. 

 

If Shimano is good I am all ears, always thought their products were overpriced, an like I said in a previous post I had read on here recently that Shimanos are harder to service long term. No clue if that is true or not. This also gos back to my mountain biking days and the cost of their stupid derailleurs. So I guess I really just don’t look at Shimano. 

 

Just looked at the Curados, curious about the bearing counts. I know they can inflate the numbers by putting them in the reel handles, so how many bearings does a baitcaster really need? The Curado 70 has 5 + 1 vs the Revo ALX which has 8 + 1. 

 

Just looking for another reel that will last me 10 to 15 years like my 3 Quantum Accurists have:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

In the Diawa line you should check out the Fuego CT or any of the Tatula models.  Consider adding the Supreme XT and Smoke S3 to your options.  The Revo ALX is on sale...$180 for a $250 reel.  For a bit more I have to say that I enjoy my Helios LP.

 

I am surprised no Shimano is on your list.

 

Of the reels on your list I personally would opt for the Tournament Pro G.

The Revo ALX looks pretty nice, last I looked that hadn’t been on sale. For the reels that are on sale, I just have to hope they are still available when I order. 

 

As one of my previous posts states, I seem to just have something against Shimano. May go back to when I was on the original riversmallies forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd toss the Curado 200k into the mix. It is a killer reel right at the upper end of your budget. Owning the pro g as well as others not in your list that would be my best advice. Again, the Tatula Ct-r is also better than anything on your list. I feel like I am recommending it often in threads like this on reels in your price range.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also look at the Lew's Tournament MB and spend the extra on a rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Friday?  Wait, what?  It's September!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Glenn said:

Black Friday?  Wait, what?  It's September!

Yeh I know, but trying to do my research now so I am prepared:) I don’t normally spend this much on a reel and there are a lot of good options. 

 

Reading a a lot of the replies I am guessing I really can’t go wrong whichever I choose, and there of course is some brand loyalties:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

I'm curious about why the Shimano Curado is not even being considered here. Have you done any research on baitcasting reels in the $150-200 range? 

This^^ I picked 2 up from eBay brand new for $128 each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Woody_California said:

I'd toss the Curado 200k into the mix. It is a killer reel right at the upper end of your budget. Owning the pro g as well as others not in your list that would be my best advice. Again, the Tatula Ct-r is also better than anything on your list. I feel like I am recommending it often in threads like this on reels in your price range.

I can definetly voice for the Ct-r! It's my favorite reel and I prefer it to my Curado in every situation I find myself. And I paid $85 for it with an eBay code!

1 minute ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new tatula is supposedly out of this world. Definitely the next casting reel I'm adding to my arsenal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Shimano and Daiwa even included on the sale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got 2 of the REVO ALX’s today for $105 each on Amazon. Best deal I’ve seen on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 10:17 PM, JackKlassen said:

The new tatula is supposedly out of this world. Definitely the next casting reel I'm adding to my arsenal

Read that about the SV105 and the Tat SV then purchased them and disappointment buyers remorse followed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×