ChrisD46

Best Value Crankbait Rod Under $100 ?

I have read that besides a good quality finesse shaky head spinning rod (usually well over $100) - you also could benefit from a technique specific crankbait bait casting rod (if you throw crankbaits) ... That said , is it possible to get a crankbait specific bait casting rod for shallow square bills and medium diving crankbaits (i.e. 7' M/MH moderate action) for under $100 or do you have to move up to the $150 ~ $175 range ? ... Thanks in advance .

I have a 7'6" mh duckett ghost cranking stick which retails for $109, is feather light, and very versatile with the size cranks you intend to use. If you're looking to stay in that price range, I would highly recommend it. 

3 minutes ago, MountainMan83 said:

I have a 7'6" mh duckett ghost cranking stick which retails for $109, is feather light, and very versatile with the size cranks you intend to use. If you're looking to stay in that price range, I would highly recommend it. 

*Thanks for the suggestion - there is also the Timmy Horton 7'3"MH  Duckett White Ice II useful for crankbaits but the cost is a bit more ... I believe there is also a Abu Garcia  Veritas Winch series but I typically associate the Veritas series as a bit stiff in all actions ?

I was looking at the Falcon BuCoo SR line for a budget crankbait rod for a while. In the end I wound up opting for the St. Croix Mojo Glass 6'10" med/mod. It seems like most of the offerings are fast/xtra fast with limited options in the moderate in the budget friendly line of rods.

If you can get over the snubbing that the Ugly Stik gets it makes for a good budget friendly crankbait rod. It's so dang flexible that it's really hard for the bass to throw the hook as long as you keep the slack out of the line.

What about the Fenwick Lunker Stik ? These seemed to me like proper crankbait rods on the cheaper side.

7’ M Berkley Shock 

Thanks for the suggestions - besides the right rod parabolic bend   , action ,  , etc. the rod needs to be light as you will be doing a lot of casting with a crank bait ... * I will need to spend more than $100 to get what I need !

Thanks - the Lew's TP1  7'3" crankbait rod and the Duckett Ghost 7'6" crankbait rod are reasonably priced for a rod like that - definitely on the short list now .

ChrisD,  You might check out the Shimano Sellus crank bait rod. Two models medium and meduim heavy both moderate taper. Also the Shimano Exage has a crank bait model too. The Sellus runs 50-60$ and the Exage roght at hundred. I have a couple Sellus rods and they are a decent stick for very little green. 

Regards,

Fishingmickey

10 hours ago, Fishingmickey said:

ChrisD,  You might check out the Shimano Sellus crank bait rod. Two models medium and meduim heavy both moderate taper. Also the Shimano Exage has a crank bait model too. The Sellus runs 50-60$ and the Exage roght at hundred. I have a couple Sellus rods and they are a decent stick for very little green. 

Regards,

Fishingmickey

Thanks for the Shimano tip !... I noticed Justin Lucas used a Veritas Winch Series for $119 (TW)  in the AOY Championship which is in the ball park price wise ; ditto for the Powell composite rods for just  a little more $

St Croix Bass X or Mojo 7ft MHM

Or

Dobyns Colt 705

I'll have to admit, the Dobyns is pretty nice for 80

**After more research I should have narrowed down my crankbait focus down to just two : Shallow Square Bill KVD 1.5 size and 3/8th oz. Traps - I don't intend to use medium and deep diving cranks , so would that change your rod recommendation (let's now say <$149 ) ? ... *I see for square bills and traps some prefer more of a faster taper versus a moderate taper - if you fall into that camp let me know what you use or recommend ?

If this is for shallow divers, it could also be used for small top water applications.  If this is appealing, you may want to reach for an avid.

I would also look here

https://impulserods.com/product/70-crank-baits-hard-baits/

I would also look into the used market  where your dollar will buy more.

I am sure a post in this forums classifies would get someone's attention 

59 minutes ago, ChrisD46 said:

**After more research I should have narrowed down my crankbait focus down to just two : Shallow Square Bill KVD 1.5 size and 3/8th oz. Traps - I don't intend to use medium and deep diving cranks , so would that change your rod recommendation (let's now say <$149 ) ? ... *I see for square bills and traps some prefer more of a faster taper versus a moderate taper - if you fall into that camp let me know what you use or recommend ?

Hands down for me, St Croix Mojo bass 7' Medium/fast at a buck 29. Good for a lot of other 1/4-1/2 oz lures.

FM

I'm pretty sure falcon lowriders are on sale for $150ish at tackle warehouse and the 7 foot medium moderate is a really good squarebill, trap, and topwater rod

I use a 7 ft Daiwa Tatula M/R for squarebills and traps . Should be able to find one for around 100

On 9/25/2018 at 9:26 AM, ChrisD46 said:

I have read that besides a good quality finesse shaky head spinning rod (usually well over $100) - you also could benefit from a technique specific crankbait bait casting rod (if you throw crankbaits) ... That said , is it possible to get a crankbait specific bait casting rod for shallow square bills and medium diving crankbaits (i.e. 7' M/MH moderate action) for under $100 or do you have to move up to the $150 ~ $175 range ? ... Thanks in advance .

My 7 ft 2 moderate fast fenwick HMG. I actually have it for sale.  I have only had it a year but I wanna move up to a heavy rod. Also selling the reel with it and it’s a lews LFS 6:8:1 ratio.