Good morning all, 

I just came across this video on YouTube. I'm not bashing any brand just thought this was really interesting. I was not aware companies did this. You learn something new everyday😀

What rock have you been living under? :wink1: 

There is a discussion about how all these reels are made in the same Chinese factory almost weekly, maybe even daily depending on the season.

4 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

What rock have you been living under? :wink1: 

There is a discussion about how all these reels are made in the same Chinese factory almost weekly, maybe even daily depending on the season.

Guess I was not paying attention 😴

Knew a lot of reels were made in China but wasn't aware that a lot of parts were interchangeable.

7 minutes ago, Buffdaddy54 said:

Guess I was not paying attention 😴

Knew a lot of reels were made in China but wasn't aware that a lot of parts were interchangeable.

You are paying attention. You found that vid. I applaud anyone who does research.

THEREELTEST just recently had a vid on YouTube where he tested the Kastking Royale Legend Elite against the new Daiwa's and the casting distance results were surprising. He found the KK RLE was a copy of a Korean companies (Banax) reel called the Titanic. This leads one to believe that Kastking might now be making their reels with Banax as opposed to Trulinoya.

• Like 1

OEM manufacturing is really taking over and before one buys any mass-manufactured good it pays to look a round a little and see if there is a cheaper direct-from-china option.  

• Like 1

Casting distance is a marginal at best test of a reels quality 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

Casting distance is a marginal at best test of a reels quality 

Agreed,but with all the hype the other reel was getting I found the video interesting.

It's always interesting to see first hand what we always talk about 

This isn't new. You can do the same with Pure Fishing, Lew's, and several other OEM reels. Other than Shimano and Daiwa, no other major brand manufactures reels. Silstar (Pinnacle) reels of several years ago were OEM, and there is a long list of lots of reels where most if not all of the parts are interchangeable, sometimes there are cosmetic differences, and sometimes there aren't. But don't forget, even if 2 reels are identical, part of what you are paying for is the (hopefully good) customer service behind a product. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, reason said:

But don't forget, even if 2 reels are identical, part of what you are paying for is the (hopefully good) customer service behind a product. 

👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

Everyone seems to have a fit about massed produced reel. But don't realizer almost everything you buy is massed produced and relabled. Oakleys come from the same factory as cheap $5 glasses. Most of your jewelry was made in the same plant. There are tons of videos that show house branded private labels are the same as name brands and even show private labels printed over the name brand label. Its nothing new to have cookie cutter products no matter the price point or market. I do not let that hinder me when buying any good.

• Like 1

Also, just because something isn't re-branded doesn't mean it's not mass produced. 

• Like 1

The issue with buying OEM stuff is that in theory companies can pay for more or less QC on a given OEM product, to the point where some will keep employees in the contractor's factories to check up on them.  So there is value added a lot of the time which makes me feel fine with paying a markup.  But, unless one buys the "name brand" and the OEM branded products to compare them, it's hard to be sure.  So to me the value in these videos is that as more people gain knowledge about it, the more companies will feel pressure to actually add value, not just resell at markup an almost identical product to one that I can buy for less from aliexpress or whatever.  

I bought a KK Assassin twin brother called the Johncoo JC-200 for a little cheaper than the Assassin and they ship it with 2 spools, a standard and a shallow spool. I have yet to receive it but I will be able to compare it with the Assassin since I have one :) I tried to find the Assassin in the Trulinoya lineup but was not able to find it. I took a look at Banax reel and some look good.

It's all fine and good until they double the price.