Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Last week I was fishing on a cold wet day when I got a backlash on a jerkbait and my rod popped out of my hands overboard.  Of course I had the autopilot going and the rod I grabbed to snag it with before it when down too far got tangled with the rod next to it.  Basically everything that went wrong did. However, this story has a happy ending, the lake I was fishing is super clear so I went back up yesterday since it was finally a calm day, I cruised back and forth over the area but didn't see it.  We fished for a while and went back over to the spot when the sun was higher but a slight breeze was making it a little difficult to see in the water.  As we drifted over the area looking on the downwind side of the boat my dad spotted it in the first two minutes.  We tossed out a marker buoy and ended up having to tie a big spoon on the end of my aquaview to snag it out of 16ft of water.  Even though the fishing wasn't that great yesterday getting my rod back made my day.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, northlander73 said:

Last week I was fishing on a cold wet day when I got a backlash on a jerkbait and my rod popped out of my hands overboard.  Of course I had the autopilot going and the rod I grabbed to snag it with before it when down too far got tangled with the rod next to it.  Basically everything that went wrong did. However, this story has a happy ending, the lake I was fishing is super clear so I went back up yesterday since it was finally a calm day, I cruised back and forth over the area but didn't see it.  We fished for a while and went back over to the spot when the sun was higher but a slight breeze was making it a little difficult to see in the water.  As we drifted over the area looking on the downwind side of the boat my dad spotted it in the first two minutes.  We tossed out a marker buoy and ended up having to tie a big spoon on the end of my aquaview to snag it out of 16ft of water.  Even though the fishing wasn't that great yesterday getting my rod back made my day.

Nice.  LOL Spotting a rod in 16' of water.  I have trouble even imagining water that clear.  I couldn't even spot a bus in 16' of water around here.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah what @Troy1985s said,  Your really lucky you found it.  What condition was it in after sitting in the water for that long?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost a rod overboard while kayak fishing early this season. The fact that it happened in clear water and the reel was white made it easy to spot and retrieve.

 

This experience made me want to go and replace all my black rods and reels with white, or neon green or orange ones.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

I lost a rod overboard while kayak fishing early this season. The fact that it happened in clear water and the reel was white made it easy to spot and retrieve.

 

This experience made me want to go and replace all my black rods and reels with white, or neon green or orange ones.

Sure sounds like you're talking about Carrot Stix!😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ratherbfishin1 said:

Sure sounds like you're talking about Carrot Stix!😂

:lol-047:

 

No way, I was thinking more of the Lew's Mach Crush, Kastking Speed Demon or the neon green rods from the company that shall not be named.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have retrieved several rods for guys over the years.  All you have to do is take a metal sap stringer and open the snaps.  Tie a cord to it and toss it out.  Slowly drag it over the area until you hook the line or the rod.  Mission accomplished.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a G. Loomis and Chronarch back using a Michigan Cricket snagging hook.  I like the stringer idea. 

 

IMG_0752-X2.jpg

 

Needed a thorough cleaning after sitting in the bottom of the lake for a week:

IMG_0759-X2.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tied on a new jerkbait and fished with it, it was a little tight a first until all the water worked out.  It'll still probably need a little grease.  For the record it was a kast king speed demon and the orange wasn't as visible as I thought it would be.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I got a G. Loomis and Chronarch back using a Michigan Cricket snagging hook.  I like the stringer idea. 

 

IMG_0752-X2.jpg

 

Needed a thorough cleaning after sitting in the bottom of the lake for a week:

IMG_0759-X2.jpg

I am WAYYYY to scared to take apart one of my reels that much! Holy cow thats a lot of pieces!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was really dirty, plus, the little brown specs are zebra mussels that started to grow inside the reel.

 

IMG_0757-X2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J Francho said:

Mine was really dirty, plus, the little brown specs are zebra mussels that started to grow inside the reel.

 

IMG_0757-X2.jpg

Little buggers have good taste in homes.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ratherbfishin1 said:

I am WAYYYY to scared to take apart one of my reels that much! Holy cow thats a lot of pieces!

Most are pretty easy.  These are a pain.  The twitching bar adds a lot of complexity.

20100327-FishnReels-30-X3.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jig Man said:

I have retrieved several rods for guys over the years.  All you have to do is take a metal sap stringer and open the snaps.  Tie a cord to it and toss it out.  Slowly drag it over the area until you hook the line or the rod.  Mission accomplished.

Had a guy recommend same to a friend at boat ramp and it worked like a charm to everyones amazement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s awesome you got it back. I just watched a you tube vid today were a guy was wading and tossed his rod to grab a big fish. Then explained the bumper type thing he had on the but of his rod. It floated, I don’t know much about it but it might be good for guys In yaks or small boats were dropping your rod over is a real possibility. Anyway I don’t know much about it this post just reminded me of it. Just throwing it out there for someone it might help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, J Francho said:

Most are pretty easy.  These are a pain.  The twitching bar adds a lot of complexity.

20100327-FishnReels-30-X3.jpg

Am I the only one that's hungry for cupcakes now? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great.

 

The last rod I lost was in a pond as I was fishing out of my big, rubber raft.

 

Went to cast, crankbait hook got caught on rod, and as I casted over it went into 20-feet of water in the middle of the pond.

 

Rod and reel still down there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say you were lucky.  My Dad dropped a rod in water that was about 4' deep, but with coontail growing in it. We tried dragging for about 15 minutes before giving up.  Those weeds just swallowed that rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lost one this morning in Lake Washington. didn't notice it was gone till I went to use it and realized it was missing. have an idea where it went down but wind and waves kept me from giving it a good search. when the lake calms down gonna go back and find it. the worst part was it is one of my favorite combos. an older pro max 1600 on an older team Diawa Larry Nixon trigger stick. and my best Manns Baby 1-. am gonna find it............even if I swim for it.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, that happened to me years ago, fishing as a co in a tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be devastated I only have two setups one casting one spinning. I don’t have enough gear to be loosing it yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago I lost one on a hookset while jigging for lake trout in 80’ of water. Luckily the trout didn’t stay hooked and I was able to stay right over it with the trolling motor and watch it sink slowly on the graph. I grabbed another rod with a heavy spoon attached and was able to quickly drop it down and snag the sinking rod, which by this time had made it to about 70’. Still have that spinning rod, and it still gets a fair bit of use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 8:48 AM, ratherbfishin1 said:

I am WAYYYY to scared to take apart one of my reels that much! Holy cow thats a lot of pieces!

It’s not as hard as you might think start off by taking apart your cheaper reels. I just started doing my own tear downs and realized that reels really are not that complicated they are all seem pretty similar also. The hardest thing about it is not losing parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on getting your rig back.  I lost one off my kayak in 2016 and another in 2017.  Both were fairly expensive setups.  I’ll bet it felt good to get it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am embarrassed to admit how I lost a rod, went to cast and I think the line was twisted on the tip and just the recoil of the line not coming out and the loaded up rod the thing just kind of flew out of my grip. I was kind on in shock and did not react quick enough, next thing I know I am watching my rod sink down into the murky depths. I tried to hook it with another pole but was a little too late. It was not a very expensive setup but it had sentimental value, it was my first bait casting setup, a Shimano Sellus worm rod that I got on clearance at Dicks with an Aubu Garcia ProMax reel. I don't know what it was about that setup but it caught a lot of fish for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×