Quarry Man

Z-Man Razor Shad vs Yamamoto Zako

Recently picked up both baits and was wondering which one people prefer and what the key differences are. I would expect the Zako to be better but Im honestly not certain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quarry Man said:

Recently picked up both baits and was wondering which one people prefer and what the key differences are. I would expect the Zako to be better but Im honestly not certain.

This one is a no brainer, the Razor Shadz are way better. I use them on all my chatterbaits now. They can take some SERIOUS abuse from toothy fish and not rip. I bought 3 packages of them at the start of this season. One black & blue, one green pumpkin, and one shad.. and I still have some left in each package. 

Northern Pike LOVE chatterbaits as much as the largemouth up here. I've been seriously impressed with the durability of the razor shadz. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought like 5 packs of Razor shads 2 years ago and haven't had to buy another since then because they just last forever. Big downside is difficulty in rigging if you're bait doesn't have a wire keeper. I make my own with a keeper so it's not an issue. 

Haven't bought the Zako and not going to with the price and known lack of durability you get with a GYCB product just for a bladed jig trailer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Razor shad for me. Durability is the major factor. I'm not a fan of GYCB because of durability.

• Like 1

Quick question concerning the Razor Shad: Due to the propensity to melt other plastics, is it necessary to remove the Razor Shad from the jig after an outing to prevent it from melting the skirt into a gooey mess?  Or, is skirt material impervious to the Z-Man material??

6 hours ago, Big Rick said:

Quick question concerning the Razor Shad: Due to the propensity to melt other plastics, is it necessary to remove the Razor Shad from the jig after an outing to prevent it from melting the skirt into a gooey mess?  Or, is skirt material impervious to the Z-Man material??

I have left Razor shads on my Chatterbait Customs, and Project Z's for weeks on end and the skirts have been fine. I actually remove Zako's after a trip, because the salt content is prone to start rust forming on the hooks.

My opinion of the original topic...Zako vs. Razor shad......I like both. You can't beat the Razor Shad for durability, and it's my go to trailer in shallow water, or grass where I am ripping and popping the bait free all the time. I like the density of the Zako to help keep the chatterbait down in deeper water. The Zako also works better on a more "compact" chatterbait like the custom, and the Razor shad gets used more on the project z.

I have been fishing a 3/8's Green Pumpkin Shad Project Z all fall with a Razor shad in the color "the deal" and have caught a lot of big fish....I am still on the first razor shad out of that package. The only razor shads I have lost....I have lost the entire chatterbait it was on to pike.

• Thanks 1