Harold Scoggins

Ideal Chatterbait/Bladed Jig

My ideal chatterbait would be built on an Owner hook (preferably a deep throat) with a two wire baitkeeper and would also provide the user the ability to change blades. The Jack Hammer is definitely an improvement, but you can't change blades (I had to use a Dremel to modify the line tie on the head so I could change blades.) and for a bait assembled in China, it's overpriced.

15 minutes ago, Harold Scoggins said:

My ideal chatterbait would be built on an Owner hook (preferably a deep throat) with a two wire baitkeeper and would also provide the user the ability to change blades. The Jack Hammer is definitely an improvement, but you can't change blades (I had to use a Dremel to modify the line tie on the head so I could change blades.) and for a bait assembled in China, it's overpriced.

That can be done but you will have to use a split ring to change blades.

Allen 

• Like 1

I'm not so experienced with bladed jigs as you are. Still figuring out the configurations that will work in my waters. Recently, I discovered the Z-Man DieZel Chatterbait. Haven't even got one wet yet, but it's got some features that are a better fit for my waters -shallow vegetated waters:

-It has a tapered, "redfish" style head, that won't collect weeds and gunk at the hook eye like the Arkie style head on the original CB does. Is a chunk cheaper than the more weedless versions. Price is 5.99.

-Weighs 1/4oz, just right for the depths I most often fish.

-And, the hook is not as humongous as on the other ChatterBaits, that can stick smaller bass in the eyes.

It doesn't come with a skirt, which is AOK; I'm a bit picky about my skirts anyway.

When I first started fishing bladed jigs quite a few years ago now (we'll call them ALL chatterbaits for simplicity sake...I.E. q-tips/kleenex/etc...), I used the original chatterbaits. This was either shortly before or just shortly after Z-man bought the original design. They worked, but the quality Sucked.....yes I spelled that with a capital S on purpose LOL.

A guy I know was making them, and having success with them, so I started assembling my own too. And they also worked. Then Z-man came along and put the clamps down on all the direct attach heads that people were making. I ran out, started using split ring attach and my results on chatterbaits fell way way off...so much so that for a couple years I really kinda gave up on them.

I got into them again in 2017, this time using Z-man products...which have improved greatly since I last bought them. And my chatterbait results have gone back up.

My "Ideal" bait would be a compact version of the "project-z". I like that the blade DOES NOT clack on the head, I think it's a better "subtle" chatterbait. I don't like how bulky they are though, sometimes it looks like I am dragging a vibrating clown wig through the water. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ww2farmer said:

My "Ideal" bait would be a compact version of the "project-z".

Other than the Jack Hammers I picked up this year, the Project Z is my chatterbait of choice. The Project Z is a good bait, especially when paired with a swim senko. I also picked up some unique looking O.S.P. chatterbaits this year that I've yet to use. Like I said earlier, I like the Jack Hammer and when I first took them out of the box, I really thought I had some JDM candy, especially when I saw the Japanese flag on the front of the package. Man, was I  disappointed when I read "Assembled in China" on the back. There's some good tackle coming out of China, but don't claim JDM status when it's not. Picture: Project Z with Turbo Blade

325.jpg

5964eacd4105d_chatterbaithead.jpg.954f0a6a348d41232bf36e8c87ef4543.jpg

I was able to add one of the long Do-It wire keepers to my Sparkie mold to make this.

Allen

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Harold Scoggins said:

Other than the Jack Hammers I picked up this year, the Project Z is my chatterbait of choice. The Project Z is a good bait, especially when paired with a swim senko. I also picked up some unique looking O.S.P. chatterbaits this year that I've yet to use. Like I said earlier, I like the Jack Hammer and when I first took them out of the box, I really thought I had some JDM candy, especially when I saw the Japanese flag on the front of the package. Man, was I  disappointed when I read "Assembled in China" on the back. There's some good tackle coming out of China, but don't claim JDM status when it's not. Picture: Project Z with Turbo Blade

325.jpg

The jackhammer is made by a JDM company, Evergreen. The skirting is tied/assembled in china. Jackhammers are awesome baits. The skirt material is junk. Some of my newer ones are tied better.

I can't justify the money they're asking for a Jackhammer, so I had to do my best to build something similar.

No automatic alt text available.

Not Owner hooks, I prefer a round bend on this style of bait. I only put a single wire keeper on mine, although adding a double wouldn't be difficult, just overkill imo. Not sure if I like the standard blades or the coffin blades better, but both of them work. I still fish the ones I make connected with a split ring more, because they're easier to make and I catch a ton of fish on them, but these ones are really good if a need a faster vibration and they seem to foul less in grass. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I can't justify the money they're asking for a Jackhammer, so I had to do my best to build something similar.

No automatic alt text available.

Not Owner hooks, I prefer a round bend on this style of bait. I only put a single wire keeper on mine, although adding a double wouldn't be difficult, just overkill imo. Not sure if I like the standard blades or the coffin blades better, but both of them work. I still fish the ones I make connected with a split ring more, because they're easier to make and I catch a ton of fish on them, but these ones are really good if a need a faster vibration and they seem to foul less in grass. 

Good looking baits, Bluebasser. Have you ever tried using Turbo blades on those?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iabass8 said:

The jackhammer is made by a JDM company, Evergreen. The skirting is tied/assembled in china. Jackhammers are awesome baits. The skirt material is junk. Some of my newer ones are tied better.

The Gamakatsu hook is a big improvement, but that's the only JDM component  on this bait. If I was a betting man, the only role Evergreen played was allowing their name to be use on the packaging. The next time I pay that much for a bladed jig, it better have an Owner hook. Until then, I'll keep using the Project Z.

Glad I read all the above....I have tried making my own chatterbaits and to me they ...especially the skirts look awesome....BUT....I have used the split ring and my results are like the above...I loose a ton of fish...so much so that there is now not one chatter in the boat.  I have tried several types of rods....lines...etc....and it's so frustrating.  Not sure what it is.....the only difference I'm seeing is the directness of the blade to the hook....I'm thinking...could it be....could this be my problem.....do I want to spend 15 bucks on a hook.....thoughts pending.

57 minutes ago, Harold Scoggins said:

The Gamakatsu hook is a big improvement, but that's the only JDM component  on this bait. If I was a betting man, the only role Evergreen played was allowing their name to be use on the packaging. The next time I pay that much for a bladed jig, it better have an Owner hook. Until then, I'll keep using the Project Z.

Well, you would lose that bet. Bret hite, who is sponsored by Evergreen, created the jackhammer with Evergreen 3(ish) years ago.  It was a very popular bait and people were importing it because it was not available state side due to the Z man patent. With it cutting into Z man sales and the high-priced this bait was going for, Zman paid Evergreen a ton of money to slap their name on it for it to be available in the US.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

Well, you would lose that bet. Bret hite, who is sponsored by Evergreen, created the jackhammer with Evergreen 3(ish) years ago.  It was a very popular bait and people were importing it because it was not available state side due to the Z man patent. With it cutting into Z man sales and the high-priced this bait was going for, Zman paid Evergreen a ton of money to slap their name on it for it to be available in the US.

I just want my chatterbait built on an Owner hook, preferably with the Deep Throat model, wire tied skirt, and the ability to switch out blades. I would gladly pay up for a bait like that.

8 minutes ago, Harold Scoggins said:

I just want my chatterbait built on an Owner hook, preferably with the Deep Throat model, wire tied skirt, and the ability to switch out blades. I would gladly pay up for a bait like that.

Join the facebook group “bass baits buy and barter”. Theres hundreds of people that will make you exactly what you want on there for a reasonable price.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iabass8 said:

Join the facebook group “bass baits buy and barter”. Theres hundreds of people that will make you exactly what you want on there for a reasonable price.

I just checked them out, but found the groups are closed to new members. :(

Did you fill out the questionnaire and get refused?

I'm very new to bladed jigs. First one I got was OG zman about 4-5 dollars. Got a nice largemouth on it once the milfoil got thick in my area but it took me a long time to do so. I got @Bluebasser86 to make me some (thank you!) And they engage quicker and come through grass cleaner than the OG zman for the same price. Sure seems like a no-brainer.  Also, the very first time out with Clayton's bait I had a 3-4 lb largemouth eat it, and I don't catch many largemouth that big. I'm more of a smallmouth guy, although not on purpose. More research yet to come!! Single line sampling is my favorite way to conduct scientific experiments

My favorite chatterbait right now is the Custom Chatterbait through Tackle Warehouse.

I bought some homemade chatterbaits from a Facebook auction this summer.  They had the split ring attaching the blade and didn't think it would make a big deal.  Boy was I wrong.  The vibration was decent but just didn't feel the same.  That wasn't the worst part though.  Half the time I would make a long cast the blade would kink over the eye when it landed in the water and then would not vibrate upon retrieval.  I took them out of my tackle box now.

I really like the Rage blade,Great action and really good around cover. I have yet to try any customs or high end ones yet.Might give them a shot this spring.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:29 AM, Oregon Native said:

Glad I read all the above....I have tried making my own chatterbaits and to me they ...especially the skirts look awesome....BUT....I have used the split ring and my results are like the above...I loose a ton of fish...so much so that there is now not one chatter in the boat.  I have tried several types of rods....lines...etc....and it's so frustrating.  Not sure what it is.....the only difference I'm seeing is the directness of the blade to the hook....I'm thinking...could it be....could this be my problem.....do I want to spend 15 bucks on a hook.....thoughts pending.

Maybe I have a mental block when it comes to $15-20 chatterbaits, but I just don't understand.  Nothing about those I get from @Bluebasser86and @Siebert Outdoorsthat I've wanted changed.  But, if the split ring is your issue, it appears that a couple/few zman models are constructed like the jack...if pics on tw are to believed...looks like custom and diezl are both made with blades direct to line-tie

Anyone that makes the ones with the split ring tried an oval ring? I think this would help with any binding issues from the split ring break.

Allen

1 hour ago, Munkin said:

Anyone that makes the ones with the split ring tried an oval ring? I think this would help with any binding issues from the split ring break.

Allen

I tried to swap an oval ring in to one I had bought, but it would bind a lot but never in a repeatable way.  I ment to buy some smaller ones and try but I never got around to it.  

I would love to try and find the thinnest, strongest split rings out there and see what kind of difference it would make.  I like split ring/football head chatterbaits when I want something with max thump and an erratic action, but even the best of them seem to always bind a litte.