Harold Scoggins

COLD WATER BOOT CAMP

Been There ~ 

Cold Water Immersion Hurts. 

For the unprepared - it can be the last thing they do. 

No Joke.

A-Jay

• Like 3

I’m cold water rescue trained.  I couldn’t agree more with A-Jay.

• Like 2

Yup. Unless you've experienced it, it's hard to convey how quickly you loose feeling and control of your body. Wear your PFDs. 

• Like 2

For the life of me I don’t understand why anglers faces with cold water, cold air temps, dressed in multiple layers think adding a pfd to the mix is constraining. I hope people watch this

• Like 2

I could not tell from the video, were these inflatable pfd's or regular pfd's?  I'm curious if the performance over a one hour period would be the same.  Any time on the water I wear a inflatable, but I am thinking the regular, more bulky pfd would be better since it would provide a little extra warmth on the body sides and back.  Temporary warmth being better than no warmth.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, livin2fish said:

I could not tell from the video, were these inflatable pfd's or regular pfd's?  I'm curious if the performance over a one hour period would be the same.  Any time on the water I wear a inflatable, but I am thinking the regular, more bulky pfd would be better since it would provide a little extra warmth on the body sides and back.  Temporary warmth being better than no warmth.

Subjects in this video when they wore a life jacket had on a non-inflatable jacket (similar to the orange model pictured below)  The rescuers wore full body cold water immersion suits which will keep one dry (mostly) but still require a life jacket as the suit itself does not include flotation of any kind. 

Going into cold & even cooler water unexpectedly can be quite a shock.

A life jacket will keep you afloat while you get your bearings, aid in self-rescue or lastly while you wait for help.  

I have & use the two life preserves pictured below. 

My preference is to wear the inflatable in water temps above 60-ish and the non-inflatable in anything below that.

Clearly the non-inflatable is a little more cumbersome and warmer in hot weather & cold.

Neither works very well unless worn.

2123277720_PFDsBR.jpg.7fb1794b4fa8de33bf071d4346b090af.jpg

A-Jay

• Like 3

Thanks AJ.  No question about me wearing a pfd.  I don't know how to swim!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Burrows said:

This video should be posted every year at this very time.

No doubt ~

I'd also encourage a re-post early season / Pre-Spawn.

Although spring time air temps can be down right balmy, very often water temps are sill quite winter like and can remain that way for a while.

Operators & passengers of smaller self-propelled water craft can be particularly susceptible to a false sense of security when early season air temps are 'nice' but water temps are still at or even well below the 'danger level'.

When the air plus water temps combine to be below 120 - be especially cautious in around & on the water; especially when you're alone.  (Doing the math in your head you may realize that in many locals, this can and often does last well into early 'summer').

A-Jay

• Like 2

I've been the "victim" in cold water rescue training.  It's awful.  I've also been an actual rescuer in a cold water immersion.  That was pretty bad, too.  Training definitely helped me keep a cool head.  Trying to find the article online that had the story mixed in with good advice, but coming up empty handed.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I've been the "victim" in cold water rescue training.  It's awful.  I've also been an actual rescuer in a cold water immersion.  That was pretty bad, too.  Training definitely helped me keep a cool head.  Trying to find the article online that had the story mixed in with good advice, but coming up empty handed.

Sure is. 

The below info in important to know. (and believe).

It's important to note that the "Loss of Dexterity (with no protective clothing)", "Exhaustion or Unconsciousness" and

"Expected Time of Survival"  times are all estimates that can & often do vary wildly from person to person.

1141603712_coldwater.thumb.png.722b37dbccbcb003bcfdc24c8948215f.png

A-Jay

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, A-Jay said:

1141603712_coldwater.thumb.png.722b37dbccbcb003bcfdc24c8948215f.png

Good chart. Everyone is different when it comes to how much cold they can take. I use a 5/7mm wetsuit for diving in low 60 degree water and dive comfortably for hours. I do not wear a wetsuit in South Florida unless the water is 70 degrees or less and even then it is only a 3mm wetsuit (no wetsuit hood) for several hours of diving.Other people need to wear thicker wetsuits for the same conditions and some people are like polar bears and can dive in conditions that most would not last for 30 minutes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J Francho said:

Training definitely helped

It has been 10 years since I've practiced kayak reentry. Now that I am 10 years older, I think it's time to practice that again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harold Scoggins said:

It has been 10 years since I've practiced kayak reentry. Now that I am 10 years older, I think it's time to practice that again.

Solid Plan.

A-Jay

Good info here Harold.We should all watch this. 

I'm guilty of being a fool. I'll surely sink to the bottom in my cold weather gear, life jacket or not. Carhart bibs, Redwing boots, and whatever jacket(s) I am wearing that day.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 1:53 PM, A-Jay said:

The below info in important to know. (and believe).

It's important to note that the "Loss of Dexterity (with no protective clothing)", "Exhaustion or Unconsciousness" and

"Expected Time of Survival"  times are all estimates that can & often do vary wildly from person to person.

That loss of dexterity at 3 mins. in sub 40° is about right.  That's about when my buddy said he didn't think he could swim any more.  That's why reentry is so important.  The paddle back must have been hell for him, but watching him lay out wet money on my dash, as he warmed up was priceless.  I'm glad we can look back and laugh about it.

• Like 2

Since joining this forum a couple years ago, my eyes have been opened by these discussions to the poor decisions we made years ago. 

I mentioned before, after watching the video of the collegiate anglers a year or two ago where the steering cable broke and they were ejected made me look back. All the years of running 3-8 miles on the Bay de Nocs in the UP and Saginaw bay with no PFDs on. This discussion of cold water submersion is an eye opener. 

After showing the video of the collegiate anglers getting ejected to my step dad it opened his eyes too. Now that I've upgraded boats and have an outboard and not just a TM PFDs must be worn wile the big motor is running. If we do cold weather fishing they will either be worn or they'll be right next to you at the ready. My step dad has changed his tune as well. Everyone wears theirs in both of his boats while making runs. 

I agree this conversation needs to be brought up either every fall and spring or quarterly. 

• Like 2