Chance_Taker4

Smoke S3 or Revo ALX

I can either reel for $115 which is better and why? I know the Smoke is newer and the ALX is discontinued. The reel would be 8:1 for flipping and pitching. I am not looking for alternative reels only out of these 2. Thank You

My preference would be for the ALX, based on my experience with Abu products in general.  They haven't wavered much in terms of architecture, and the internals are smooth and durable.  Quantum usually have wholesale changes in new models.  Some models are really nice, but others are duds. 

The ALX had a lot of promise when it was released, and it was quickly found to be disliked by the masses. I've read many stories of guys buying one and immediately regretting it for various reasons. I personally haven't owned one, but I know if you search around the internet you will see many stories about the ALX.

As for the Smoke, I don't own that one either, but I did just pick up the Tour S3 which is the upgraded Smoke. I haven't been able to use it on the water yet, but from what I can tell so far, it's a very nice reel for the money.

2 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

The ALX had a lot of promise when it was released, and it was quickly found to be disliked by the masses.

Were the internals different from a typical Abu?  If so, I'd retract my response.

2 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Were the internals different from a typical Abu?  If so, I'd retract my response.

I'm curious to know to. From what I have read it was basically STX internals with the small MGX2 Frame and Light MGX2 spool.

That's what I thought, too.

1 hour ago, J Francho said:

I'm not positive on the internals. I've never been much of an Abu guy. I know quite a few guys on TT bought them, thought they were way too small to be practical, and had a few other issues, and they all ended up dumping them.

I thought it was odd how the ALX was on sale for half price after only a few months on the market. I figured it was a flop for Abu.

8 hours ago, Chance_Taker4 said:

I'm curious to know to. From what I have read it was basically STX internals with the small MGX2 Frame and Light MGX2 spool.

They are the same frame gen4 as far as I know ALX got aluminum gear not sure about different of spool also bearing is better with ALX. Newer STX got new dual brake system while ALX just plain Jane mag brake. I almost got ALX once it was released, but returned it due to its size.

The smoke is a very solid reel with no flex, very nice handle and very user friendly, the abu looks really cool but I'm not going to drop 100+ on a reel just for looks. 

I pulled the trigger on the ALX. It is very small but I like it and it balances really well with my Kistler Helium 3 rod.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:59 PM, fishballer06 said:

I'm not positive on the internals. I've never been much of an Abu guy. I know quite a few guys on TT bought them, thought they were way too small to be practical, and had a few other issues, and they all ended up dumping them.

They are great if you don’t take any measures to maintain them. But the drags need upgrading to Carbontex. I love when reels are way too small to be practical.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:35 PM, J Francho said:

My preference would be for the ALX, based on my experience with Abu products in general.  They haven't wavered much in terms of architecture, and the internals are smooth and durable.  Quantum usually have wholesale changes in new models.  Some models are really nice, but others are duds. 

It’s true. And I like Abu. But this is exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with my Abus.