Jump to content
TxHawgs

Jerkbait rod what to use?

Recommended Posts

Should I fish jerkbaits on a CB rod or on my M power fast action rod? Will the M fast action not be forgiving enough and pull baits out of there mouths? But I'm thinking a CB rod will be too limber and hard to jerk the bait. Thanks guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try'em both, see which one works better for you. If your using the medium fast go with a lighter drag and try not to horse the fish so you don't "pull the hooks". If you can get the bait to "jerk" properly with your CB rod and you like it better use it. It also makes a difference what line your using. Mono provides some stretch which equates to give depending on what pound test you use would also help keep the fish "pinned" better.

Tight lines,

Fishingmickey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

25 minutes ago, Fishingmickey said:

Try'em both, see which one works better for you. If your using the medium fast go with a lighter drag and try not to horse the fish so you don't "pull the hooks". If you can get the bait to "jerk" properly with your CB rod and you like it better use it. It also makes a difference what line your using. Mono provides some stretch which equates to give depending on what pound test you use would also help keep the fish "pinned" better.

Tight lines,

Fishingmickey

Probably gonna use the M power fast action rod. I think the CB rod would b too limber. But what line for suspending jerkbaits fluoro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fluoro sinks and your suspending bait might now not suspend as well or sink nose down. Really hard to say, different sized baits would react differently. Retrieve speed or length of pause would make a big difference too. Try different things. I'd try changing one thing at a time until you get something you like or the bass tells you you've got it right.

FM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Fishingmickey said:

Fluoro sinks and your suspending bait might now not suspend as well or sink nose down. Really hard to say, different sized baits would react differently. Retrieve speed or length of pause would make a big difference too. Try different things. I'd try changing one thing at a time until you get something you like or the bass tells you you've got it right.

FM

I wanna know what line most guys fish em with. Maybe I should post that question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to being too long, and having a less than ideal action, most CB rods will have way too long a handle to work JBs, A fast or mod fast 6'6" or 6'9" rod will be a better choice.

I fish JBs with mono, usually 10 LB, but I'll go 8 or 12 sometimes, and balance the JB to slightly sink or slightly rise depending on what the fish want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Falcon 6'8' MHF Jason Christie for Jerkbaits The tip has just enough give and the rest of the blank has plenty of power. I found it at Walmart for 30.00 and a month later bought another for 25.00.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My jerkbait rods are both all graphite but have a "moderate " crankbait action.  They rebound quickly to allow for that snap I like to work the bait.  The rod's moderate action comes into play when playing a fish. I prefer fluorocarbon line in #10 and sometimes #12 to help get the bait deeper.  I would like to hear what Dwight Hottle might add.  He is a jerkbait guy for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerkbaits on casting gear for me is done with 8-12lb fluorocarbon line (usually 10 lb) and with a stick spun up by Alpha Rods - they call it 'The Slasher'. 

 

It's built on medium powered, fast action blank.  Nimble & balanced in hand, the 6’10” length is perfect for manipulating baits without wasted energy or fatigue.  The middle grade graphite provides ample sensitivity, a forgiving nature and  the parabolic bend is something I look for; perfect action to launch, work, and land.   When building the right jerkbait rod it's all about the blank; it needs power to load, launch and work a jerkbait, while still maintaining the moderate fish landing bend necessary to keep those treble-hooks pinned up.   This one has quality components that reduce mass on the business end, creating a light and responsive tip section perfect for slashing and walking my favorite stick baits from pre-spawn straight through the fall bite.

 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Jerkbaits on casting gear for me is done with 8-12lb fluorocarbon line (usually 10 lb) and with a stick spun up by Alpha Rods - they call it 'The Slasher'. 

 

It's built on medium powered, fast action blank.  Nimble & balanced in hand, the 6’10” length is perfect for manipulating baits without wasted energy or fatigue.  The middle grade graphite provides ample sensitivity, a forgiving nature and  the parabolic bend is something I look for; perfect action to launch, work, and land.   When building the right jerkbait rod it's all about the blank; it needs power to load, launch and work a jerkbait, while still maintaining the moderate fish landing bend necessary to keep those treble-hooks pinned up.   This one has quality components that reduce mass on the business end, creating a light and responsive tip section perfect for slashing and walking my favorite stick baits from pre-spawn straight through the fall bite.

 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

I'm takin an NRX 802C a GLX CBR855 MH and a Dobyns Champion Extreme HP 702. I dont have any 6 10" rods except one GLX spinning rod. Need to get a dedicated jerkbait rod, Megabass Destroyer Oneten. These r just the rods I'm gonna try jerkbaits on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TxHawgs said:

I'm takin an NRX 802C a GLX CBR855 MH and a Dobyns Champion Extreme HP 702. I dont have any 6 10" rods except one GLX spinning rod. Need to get a dedicated jerkbait rod, Megabass Destroyer Oneten.

I've offered information regarding the gear I use to successfully catch a few on jerkbaits and why.

 What you do with that is up to you.

 

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

I've offered information regarding the gear I use to successfully catch a few on jerkbaits and why.

 What you do with that is up to you.

 

A-Jay

Yes I greatly appreciate it just tellin ya what I have to work with. Cant go grab a Slasher tonight lol. Thanks for the info brotha. From your and other guys info I should b ok w the NRX 802C. Goin to Hawkins in TX tomorrow!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TxHawgs said:

Yes I greatly appreciate it just tellin ya what I have to work with. Cant go grab a Slasher tonight lol. Thanks for the info brotha. From your and other guys info I should b ok w the NRX 802C. Goin to Hawkins in TX tomorrow!

You're Welcome.   And I do realize that. 

While I'm not familiar with the rods you've listed, I offered the other information hoping that it may assist in your decision.   I apologize for not mentioning that initially.

:smiley:

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like a 6’6 medium fast spinning for when I want to impart quick eratic action, and I use a 6ft6 Medium Moderate Fast casting when I want slightly more forgiveness and a 7ft Medium Moderate casting when I want to pull and long pause suspending JerkBaits in cold water. I’m not sure if this makes sense or if it would work for other anglers but I’ve found it works best for the way I fish . Also from what I’ve learned over the years, the jerkbait is one of the more difficult lures to match properly with any given rod...in other words the weight, action and internal casting systems vary so greatly from one jerkbait to another ; that I think it makes selecting one rod for all jerkbait applications basically impossible . Just my 2 cents 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, J.Vincent said:

I like a 6’6 medium fast spinning for when I want to impart quick eratic action, and I use a 6ft6 Medium Moderate Fast casting when I want slightly more forgiveness and a 7ft Medium Moderate casting when I want to pull and long pause suspending JerkBaits in cold water. I’m not sure if this makes sense or if it would work for other anglers but I’ve found it works best for the way I fish . Also from what I’ve learned over the years, the jerkbait is one of the more difficult lures to match properly with any given rod...in other words the weight, action and internal casting systems vary so greatly from one jerkbait to another ; that I think it makes selecting one rod for all jerkbait applications basically impossible . Just my 2 cents 

Yea your exactly right, there is a science to matching certain baits to the right tackle. I'm a good stick but haven't done a lot of jerkbait fishing and want to get serious w it. Your rod selection for the reasons makes sense to me. What line u throwin on the 7ft rod for suspending jerkbaits?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a slower action rod in cold water as I impart more of a drag than a jerk then. That's also when I employ long pauses. I do agree than when quickly jerking the bait, you want an action that recovers quickly so that you're not fighting it to get the results you want at the other end.

Fluorocarbon, as mentioned, is the way to go as most prefer the bait to rest with a nose down attitude and fluoro also reduces the bow in the line that accompanies mono.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a St. Croix LTB 6’8” medium extra fast. Fast tip allows for good twitch and movement but the rod has enough flex to stay pinned. 

 

Jerkbaits are one lure you’ll find people use rods all over the spectrum. Short length and a mediumish power are a must to me though 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TxHawgs said:

Yea your exactly right, there is a science to matching certain baits to the right tackle. I'm a good stick but haven't done a lot of jerkbait fishing and want to get serious w it. Your rod selection for the reasons makes sense to me. What line u throwin on the 7ft rod for suspending jerkbaits?

JerkBaits are nowhere near my confidence baits either; but I like to use 8lb Yozuri Hybrid on the spinning tackle and 10 or 12lb Yozuri Hybrid on the Baitcasters. But I recently spooled with Pline c21 and although it’s a budget line with mixed reviews , I found it works well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Major Craft Don Iovino Splash-It baitcasting rod for several presentations including jerk baits.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an AvidX MH/Fast for jerbaits.  My crankbait rod has too soft of a tip.  The only other thing I use it for is topewater poppers.  Smaller ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Falcon weightless worm rod makes as good of a stickbait rod as I've ever used. The Cara McClelland signature and jerkbait special are both really good also.

I also like the Witch Doctor Surman 50G. The MH is a little tight for lighter baits but for the 11O or McStick its about perfect, its a blended blank.

I like 8 or 10lb. Maxima mono.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×