FishDewd

Question about new reel "fade out"

Yeah dont think its moving an 1/8" not that much space between spool and frame. 1/16" total maybe with spool tension cap nearly falling off. But you only need a 1-2mm wiggle. If too loose line could get between spool and frame.

So check and make sure there isnt a gap showing near the edge of spool when you wiggle it a bit. If on a cast and you get some chatter tighten tension cap a little at a time.

22 minutes ago, FishDewd said:

I have it pretty loose so it moves maybe 1/8th inch either way. Lures are basically a free fall to the ground. Should I loosen it more than that? Certainly new to me even having one that loose.

No. Just a slight click at most in either direction. Do this: Reel the line in and tape the tag end to the spool. Set the brake dial at zero. Click the thumb bar down. Give the spool a fast spin with a finger. How long does it spin? 

17 minutes ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

Yeah dont think its moving an 1/8" not that much space between spool and frame. 1/16" total maybe with spool tension cap nearly falling off. But you only need a 1-2mm wiggle. If too loose line could get between spool and frame.

So check and make sure there isnt a gap showing near the edge of spool when you wiggle it a bit. If on a cast and you get some chatter tighten tension cap a little at a time.

1/16 = .0625, 2mm = .0786, movement more then 1/64 = .0165 would be more then enough.

Tom

No, once the spool is loose just the least bit, going more will do nothing. I set my reels to be "loose then tighten aprox 1/10 of a turn". This just helps the line from going backlash with a simple clutch released free spool. Amazing how a spool can run away on you while doing nothing!

Karl

On 12/12/2018 at 11:56 PM, PhishLI said:

No. Just a slight click at most in either direction. Do this: Reel the line in and tape the tag end to the spool. Set the brake dial at zero. Click the thumb bar down. Give the spool a fast spin with a finger. How long does it spin? 

About 6 seconds with a hard flick.