Kyle S

Cold weather/Wintertime bass fishing struggle...

As the title suggests, I am STRUGGLING to catch anything in the colder months of the year. Where I live, in central Virginia, our cold weather months start around mid November and start to ease up in mid to late April. I have quite a few questions, and am truly curious as to what your experiences are pertaining to fishing this time of year. Does anyone even try and fish this time of year near my region? If so, are you fishing from a boat, or are you on shore? Have you had any success? Looking forward to what everyone has to say!!

This is typical of bass fishing. Bass slow down and don't work as hard for food. Anglers have to slow way down and downsize their baits. A good day is catching a bass at all on winter days. Use baits such as Ned Rig, grubs, shad rap, drop shot, shaky head, smaller jigs. Finesse stuff. It's going to be a struggle but it's normal to struggle right now. 

the next couple months is good time to get that honey-do-list taken care of.....and maybe sink some brush piles 👍

we just got a foot of snow yesterday ☃️ thus signaling the beginning of my winter break

• Like 1

Do both bank and boat fishing as open water allows. That's the big key (since I rarely ice fish). If you have open water still, then you have a realistic shot at catching bass. Smaller ponds and lakes will usually have the bass bunched up in the deepest water. If you can reach it with a cast from shore, you're good. Boat fishing you need to do some searching and some water elimination. Not as fast as other times of the year, but any bass is a good bass through the winter months. See other recent threads fir baits and techniques 

• Like 1

I live in central Virginia as well and I just started winter fishing last winter. As long as there's no ice on the lake I'll go. I have a lot of slow frustrating days but some days are somewhat productive. It beats staying home.

Winter isn't about numbers for me, it's when I catch some of my biggest bass of the year though. I believe our winters in Kansas are a little more harsh than what you're dealing with and as long as there is open water, there are fish to be caught.

• Like 4

ive been fishing blades and hair jigs when i've been going out. Water is about 40-45 here in MA. Thats if its still open from the recent cold. I go deep, the bass are less affected by the cold. Shallow ponds get cold quick but also warm quick. The deep ponds take longer to cool down and longer to warm up. I look for steep drops, green weeds, humps, holes. Fish light line slow and small baits. 2 weeks ago I had a good whack fish in a heavy jig in 15 feet of water, water was 45. Got the only bass out of the guys I was with, on a steep shoreline drop to 30 feet. on a hair jig slow twitch down the drop.  
I know guys do very well with jerbaits in shallow ponds this time of year but I only get pickerel when I fish them

Smallies are very active this time of year. Blades rule the smallie world for me. slow hop off bottom.

Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone! Looks like I need to change a few things and hopefully then, I'll have a more productive time fishing the colder months!

I love this time of year. Like Bluebasser said this is when the big girls eat. I see a lot of guys talking about going small with baits, this is also the time to go huge. 

• Like 1