pauldconyers

Line capacity consideration for new spinning reel?

I am looking at getting a new spinning reel. Looking mostly at either the Lews MH2-200 or MH2-300. Only real difference is the line capacity. The 200 is a 120/8 and the 300 is a 145/10. I'm going to put Sufix 832 braid on it, just not sure what strength line yet. Is there any "performance" difference between the two sizes of reels? I will never be on the water and "need" that extra 25 yards of line on the reel. Just wondering what all I should be considering here.

Never be on the water? Do you mean you are fishing from shore?

Tom

2 hours ago, pauldconyers said:

I am looking at getting a new spinning reel. Looking mostly at either the Lews MH2-200 or MH2-300. Only real difference is the line capacity. The 200 is a 120/8 and the 300 is a 145/10. I'm going to put Sufix 832 braid on it, just not sure what strength line yet. Is there any "performance" difference between the two sizes of reels? I will never be on the water and "need" that extra 25 yards of line on the reel. Just wondering what all I should be considering here.

Realize that braid is thinner than the equivalent strength mono.

My Garcia Avocet RZ-2000 holds 120 yards of 8#mono, but 160 yards of 10#braid. So factor that into your consideration.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WRB said:

Never be on the water? Do you mean you are fishing from shore?

Tom

I meant I'd never be fishing sun up to sun down, specifically with just this 1 rod where I'd potentially use or waste a ton of line in a single day where having 25 yards more would be something I need.

I guess is the ONLY difference is does the 300 hold more line and that's it or do they some how "fish" or perform differently compared to each other

The 200 is a smaller size reel weighing less then the 300 size reel. Using braid the 200 is a good choice, you don't need more line then the distance you are casting for bass fishing, 120 yards is enough with 70 yards to spare.

Tom

• Like 2

I don't know about this particular brand, but on some brands the smaller reels have lower drag ratings and less washers. The drag max should be listed in the specs, and/or you could download the parts diagram to check the washers. Other than that, I would go with the smaller reel - no need to waste line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have 2 factors to consider when choosing what size reel.  First, I always use backing to eliminate wasting line.  I respool often.  So, "normally" for me, I get the larger reels for line capacity on setups where I will be making long casts.

Agree with the previous comment on casting further. Also slightly more line retrieved with each turn of the handle.