MColeman

New Resident to James/Chick River area

Hey All,

New member here to BassResource. A job opportunity brought me to Richmond, VA a couple months ago. I was originally from South Central Pennsylvania, and cut my teeth on the mighty Susquehanna. A great friend of mine turned me on to the tournament scene 4-5 years ago, and really cranked UP the passion I had for fishing. I fished 15-20 tournaments a year with him. Mainly club tournements, until I was introduced to the BFL's and Federation tournaments. Needless to say, I'm hooked!

However, with the relocation I am now too far to continue traveling back and forth to PA to fish those same tournaments. I intend on signing up for the Shenandoah BFL's next year, 2019, and am interested in knowing if there are any decent sized clubs in the RVA area that is part of the Federation as well. I just recently bought a house near the Hopewell area, mainly because of the proximity to the James and Chick rivers. I would have to continue fishing as a Co-angler until I build my finances back up to purchase a boat.

I joined this site, and writing this post, to network and meet some new friends that share the same interests. I'm all ears to recommendations and advice on how I can continue to fish as a Co-angler and start to learn these great fisheries

Tight lines,

Mike

Mike, check out the following and go to "Links" above this page and look for the BASS and TBF addresses.

Local clubs in the tri-cities would be for you to check out Regions 3 and 6: https://www.vabassnation.com/members/1097-2/

Richmond Bassmasters is a B.A.S.S. affiliated club that is seeking new members. Give Charlie (804.598.4204), Jeff (804.350.9297) or Rick (804.937.2752) a call and get the details about this club. You can join as an individual or with your Region and State Federation partner. Tell them Sam from the club sent you.

If Richmond is too far for you to travel then look for another club. Richmond does have a guy from Colonial Heights and we have had others from down that way.

The TBF is also an option. Contact them by clicking on their link.

Don't forget the Richmond Fishing Expo in late January. Nice event and you can meet some of the guys with the B.A.S.S. state federation. http://www.richmondfishingexpo.com/

Welcome to Richmond.

Sam, thanks for all the great information!

I will be at the Expo next week. If you are attending, maybe I will see you there. If so, I will shoot you a PM with my number to connect.

Will most likely stay with the TBF this year, since my FLW membership is still valid. Most of the tournaments for my district are on the James and Chick, which are the bodies of water I would like to beginning learning first. There is just something about those big tidal largies!

4 hours ago, MColeman said:

Sam, thanks for all the great information!

I will be at the Expo next week. If you are attending, maybe I will see you there. If so, I will shoot you a PM with my number to connect.

Will most likely stay with the TBF this year, since my FLW membership is still valid. Most of the tournaments for my district are on the James and Chick, which are the bodies of water I would like to beginning learning first. There is just something about those big tidal largies!

I really like the Historic James and love the Chick river.

The Chick is one of the best rivers to fish along the Atlantic coast, including the Potomac.

Get a GMCO map of the Historic James and Chick rivers at the Expo from the GMCO guy and study the high tide water levels as some of the creeks are hard to enter due to the shallow water.

This summer you can put in at the Route 5 bridge and recon Morris and Gordon creeks, Shipyard and Warmouth and Little creeks, hit Dick's New creek, and then go all the way back into Diascund creek by the train bridge and float back out.  Be sure to run to the dam, too and hit the pads and grass lines on the way.

Have fun!

Mike if you would like to get together and fish the rivers when temps get better shoot me an email.   I have a boat and am always looking for new people to fish with.

Brian