wasabi_VA

Small utility trailer for BassBaby / Pelican style boat?

My 8’ BassBaby fits perfect in the back of my pickup but nagging neck and back issues make it riskier for me to be lifting it up like that. I think a small utility trailer, maybe 4’x8’ with 12” tires would be nice as I could easily lift one end into it, then slide the rest of it in with little effort. 

Anybody use one of these with their 8’ BassBaby or Pelican style boat? My BassBaby has wheels so all I need to do is stop by the ramp, pull the boat off the trailer, then go park. I don’t need to fool with backing it into the ramp like a traditional boat trailer. In fact I think a utility trailer would really suit me better than a traditional trailer (and I can haul my riding lawnmower to my Mom’s easier too!).

Any Harbor Freight models cheap good? I would only use this for local lakes where I use side roads to get to, maybe 10 to 20 minutes from the house. Anything further or needing highway travel would have me putting the boat into the bed of the truck. 

I have a Harbor Freight  4 x 8 trailer I use for my Bass Raider.  I decked it with 5/4 decking material when I received it. I've been using it about ten years and never a problem.

Ken

I use a 5x8 utility trailer to haul my Pond Prowler. It’s too heavy for a truck bed after the mods I’ve done to it plus I never take my motors or batteries out.942E2370-07AF-4D44-983D-E5B2D3E4C9E7.thumb.jpeg.be7300f6faf8d0b22725fff26557bffd.jpegA6F0ED6F-FBED-4D4B-B52E-A6815A95BF12.thumb.jpeg.634e81ad9901e8798e30595c402248f9.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LonnieP said:

I use a 5x8 utility trailer to haul my Pond Prowler. It’s too heavy for a truck bed after the mods I’ve done to it plus I never take my motors or batteries out.942E2370-07AF-4D44-983D-E5B2D3E4C9E7.thumb.jpeg.be7300f6faf8d0b22725fff26557bffd.jpegA6F0ED6F-FBED-4D4B-B52E-A6815A95BF12.thumb.jpeg.634e81ad9901e8798e30595c402248f9.jpeg

Nice looking boat, never thought about putting a deck on one.

• Thanks 1

I bought the HF 4x8 trailer today, using a coupon it was $259. Should I use a single sheet of plywood for the trailer deck, or the individual 5/4 decking boards?

Around $40 for 5/4 x 6" x 8' probably cheaper than plywood

10 hours ago, kjfishman said:

Around $40 for 5/4 x 6" x 8' probably cheaper than plywood

And the deck boards allow for easier water draining. Plywood will often hold water in spots.  Plus, if you damage a place on your trailer you can replace the deck board that's damaged much cheaper than replacing the whole sheet of plywood. 

• Like 1