FryDog62

Minnesota Fishing Report - 2019

I'm going to crowdsource this question..  has anyone fished Pelican Lake in Orr? I know it's the Linders home lake haha. 

I'm going to hit it this fall and I'm hoping to gather some information. Smallie hunting of course. 

Been on Lake Steiger (Victoria, MN) lately as I love that lake but really no action. I fish out of a kayak. Been trying every lure and trick in my bag. Even got a Garmin Striken 4 fish finder which showed plenty of fish but no action ... I live in St. Paul (Highland Park) and very close to Hidden Falls Park. Tried the river (every location possible) and again no luck 🙂 But I persist and never give up. I caught a few over on Hyland Lake (nice little lake) and also a smaller lake down in Eagan called Blackhawk Lake. Blackhawk has been almost impossible to fish because of thick vegetation, except a few places around the lake. I was there one  eve back in July and caught  7 HUGE  (4-5 lbs) bass with the last one breaking my line and taking the hook and the bait with him. All from the same spot.  I also tried the Bass Ponds over in Bloomington and again no luck. I am beginning to think that I'm just plainly unlucky 🙂   I would love to hook up with some local Twin Cities guys and go fishing. Learn from the pros. Been living in MN for the past 13 years and this year I got totally HOOKED on bass fishing. Just like that ...

On 9/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, ThatOneBigKid said:

Got out yesterday with my Uncle and leaned on em a bit. Kind of nice that tourney season is over so we can hammer on schools when we find them now. 

Left to right: 5.04lbs, 4.15lbs, 3.35lbs

vKUFQH2.jpg

Best 5 went 18.5lbs for the day. 

Nice.  I agree about post-tourny season.  I've only gotten out twice in the last couple weeks and both days, wind was howlin'.  Time to catch up on "homework".  One day we got them super tight to brush cover, and a few offshore, but the wind made that bite tough. 

I was on Big Marine on Thursday and that south wind made all my offshore spots tougher than heck to fish.  Kept telling myself we gotta deal with these conditions in a tournament, so better learn to deal with them now. Got a few fish on t-rigs. Surprisingly, nothing on a deep crank. Wind died after I was beaten down and got into a bunch of small fish on a ned. Too late to go looking for bigger fish.

BTW, Big kid,  Nice job on 3rd place. You guys have really been fishing well the past few years and have been giving those advanced teams something to look at.

Also, shout out to Brian and Josh for doing a great job as TD's. 

On 9/6/2019 at 9:39 PM, rascalP said:

Also, shout out to Brian and Josh for doing a great job as TD's. 

No problem. Our group is so laid back and drama free so makes it really easy. 

I'm heading up to the Alexandria are for a fishing trip Next week, how's the bass fishing going?  Sounds like it's been pretty tough in the south and it's been tough here in Iowa.  Hoping they are transitioned over to the fall bite now.

I had one of the better days of the season on Saturday morning.  I caught over a dozen largies and another "accidental" tiger muskie.  Unfortunately I only had the dog with me and she can't take photos so this was the best I could do.

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

• Like 4

Spinnerbait has been producing well for me lately. Double willow leaf gold and silver. It's been effective on multiple lakes with various water clarity and vegetation conditions. I've been using a 3/4oz and a 1/2 oz and covering water.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm heading up to the Alexandria are for a fishing trip Next week, how's the bass fishing going?  Sounds like it's been pretty tough in the south and it's been tough here in Iowa.  Hoping they are transitioned over to the fall bite now.

Where are you fishing in Alex? Love that area. 

5 minutes ago, punch said:

Where are you fishing in Alex? Love that area. 

Will be staying on Osakis but we will fish about a dozen different lakes in the area.  Lobster, Irene, Mary, Carlos, Brophy, Crooked and Oscar are a few I can think of that I've all fished.

Didn't go there last year but two years ago the fishing was fantastic.  Hoping it will be great again this year.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Will be staying on Osakis but we will fish about a dozen different lakes in the area.  Lobster, Irene, Mary, Carlos, Brophy, Crooked and Oscar are a few I can think of that I've all fished.

Didn't go there last year but two years ago the fishing was fantastic.  Hoping it will be great again this year.

Nice, are there any good smallmouth lakes in that area besides finding some in the LHD chain? Just curious. 

I stay at Lake Carlos State Park every year and just stick to the LHD chain. 

1 minute ago, punch said:

Nice, are there any good smallmouth lakes in that area besides finding some in the LHD chain? Just curious. 

I stay at Lake Carlos State Park every year and just stick to the LHD chain. 

Never really caught many smallmouth up there over the years but we never focused on them.  Lots of largemouth and northerns.

54 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Never really caught many smallmouth up there over the years but we never focused on them.  Lots of largemouth and northerns.

There are some smallies in the chain, but they are tricky to target because they only hold to a few key area's and types of structure. I've caught some 3lbers. 

• Like 1

Fishing has been good when the wind blows.  Both smallmouth and largemouth  have been relating to thickest weeds and weed edges.  Rocks have been a bust.  Water temps 60-62 last Saturday and Sunday.  Caught this one Sunday on white spinnerbait. Hit at the boat with about 2 feet of line out. 

0.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tlauz said:

Fishing has been good when the wind blows.  Both smallmouth and largemouth  have been relating to thickest weeds and weed edges.  Rocks have been a bust.  Water temps 60-62 last Saturday and Sunday.  Caught this one Sunday on white spinnerbait. Hit at the boat with about 2 feet of line out. 

0.jpg

Wow that's a nice fish! mid 40's? 

How have you been fishing the grass lines? 

On 9/11/2019 at 10:10 AM, punch said:

There are some smallies in the chain, but they are tricky to target because they only hold to a few key area's and types of structure. I've caught some 3lbers. 

Carlos has decent smallies. Finished well in a high school tourney with a few brown kickers.

17 hours ago, punch said:

Wow that's a nice fish! mid 40's? 

How have you been fishing the grass lines? 

45-46.  Had to mark it on side of boat then measure so not an exact measurement.  A couple weeks ago  I was catching a lot of fish on  a BX brat over weeds.  Lately spinnerbait and swim-jig have been the best producers.   Spinnerbait I have been running over the top of large cabbage beds. On my lake in the fall, find cabbage and find fish.  Largemouth have been in the middle of weed beds. I have caught some good smallmouth on edges. Smallmouth seem to be cruising along weed edges where it drops off.  Swim-jig I parallel weed edge one pass then throw in deeper  into weeds on next pass. I fish two connected lakes.  Small shallow lake seems to get better when water gets colder. .  Water tends to cool off faster up north.  It seems like everything happens a couple weeks earlier here when compared to most reports I read on here. 

0-1.jpg.e243c05c0005d2b77b317298e3752288.jpg

Caught this little guy last weekend.  Looks like he was lucky to get away.  

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Tlauz said:

Spinnerbait I have been running over the top of large cabbage beds. On my lake in the fall, find cabbage and find fish.  Largemouth have been in the middle of weed beds. I have caught some good smallmouth on edges. Smallmouth seem to be cruising along weed edges where it drops off.  Swim-jig I parallel weed edge one pass then throw in deeper  into weeds on next pass. I fish two connected lakes.  Small shallow lake seems to get better when water gets colder. .  Water tends to cool off faster up north.  It seems like everything happens a couple weeks earlier here when compared to most reports I read on here

This has been the deal for me as well, cabbage has been the best grass lately. Basically find areas with the spinnerbait and slow down and work them over with a jig.

• Like 1